When to change targets?

Options
When I began my mfp journey, it was to lose weight. I was 105kg, and wanted to get down to about 90, but it kind of spiralled a bit, and I'm currently at 73kg, which actually puts me quite close to the underweight bracket of most bmi calculators. So I figured that now is a good time to start building back up to 90 but with muscle rather than fat.

Yet here's the thing - I've still got a lot of fat in places that I'd rather not, (stomach, chest, legs etc) and want to lose it - i'm already doing a lot of cardio and some resistance at the gym, but when would be a good time to change my goals? If I set it to maintain, but still do gym sessions, will that help to remove fat but put on muscle? Should I keep my calorie target in a deficit, but focus on weight training etc? Or will mfp automatically assume that weight gain target = muscle rather than fat?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you've hit 10% body fat or below it's time to work on building muscle. From the sounds of things it sounds like you might be doing too much cardio. I would suggest doing more resistance/weight training and focus more on building muscle at this point. I would also at least eat at maintenance level at this point or at a calorie surplus if you want to get back to 90kg. The weight training will help you build muscle which will help with burning fat.