I started bulking and I can feel the fat...

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Jschrolms wrote: »
    If your Fat is down to 20%, i would say you need to look at what carbs you are having that make up your 50%
    if youre eating high GI carbs throughout the day when you are not exercising, that could be why you are putting on more fat than you would like.
    Try and only eat high GI carbs in the morning or straight after a workout, all other times eat low GI carbs, and yeah cut the sugar to as close to Zero as you can.

I just had a look at your food diary and you are having way to much sugar and you should cut out the high GI carbs at lunch. After you are taking in all of that, all of the un used energy which would be alot would then go to your fat stores.

Why?

^^^This. Why does it matter when you consume high GI carbs?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+does+it+matter+when+you+consume+high+GI+carb?

Except that, if you make a claim it's your responsibility to support it. Not direct others to Google for their own research purposes.

In any event, it was a tongue in cheek response.

Hey bud,

I didn't make any claim. . .My point was that you were just looking for a internet argument either help someone out or gtfo. Why say Why???? Just help the person man! your saying he is wrong right? so why can't you back up your point as to why he is wrong?

what a waste of my time.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014

Hey bud,

I didn't make any claim. . .My point was that you were just looking for a internet argument either help someone out or gtfo. Why say Why???? Just help the person man! your saying he is wrong right? so why can't you back up your point as to why he is wrong?

what a waste of my time.

I wasn't directing it at you. It was in reference to the original quote. I'm not looking to argue. If someone is going to spread misinformation I will challenge it and ask why however.

I'm not really concerned with whether or not it is a "waste of your time", but sorry you feel that way.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member

Hey bud,

...... or gtfo.

:D:D
    Stay classy my friend
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    If your feel the extra fat go to some HIIT classes or some klettlebell classes... BEASTMODE.
  • Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member

Hey bud,

what a waste of my time.

I wasn't directing it at you. It was in reference to the original quote. I'm not looking to argue. If someone is going to spread misinformation I will challenge it and ask why however.

I'm not really concerned with whether or not it is a "waste of your time", but sorry you feel that way.

Hey Man,
    so your 'Why?' is referring to why only have High GI carbs first thing in the morning and immediately after training ?

first thing in the morning when you need to re fuel your body its ok and smae for after a workout but all other time when you're not doing much physical activity..

More insulin is released. A high insulin level promotes a quick storage of sugar in muscle and the liver. It also inhibits the hormone glucagon, which normally tells the body to burn stored fat. Forthcoming meals restore glycogen (especially if high glycemic) and the cycle keeps repeating. Thus, fat stores do not get touched and usually grow larger.
    Blood sugar levels then drop quickly, leaving you hungry sooner. Suddenly, the body needs more fuel. But because glucagon is still in short supply, the body does not tap into its fat supply for energy.

If his problem is that he is gaining to much fat, and also by looking at his diet, this could be because he isnt buring his fat stores enough and he keeps adding to fat stores everytime he is eating high GI at lunch and other Sugary crap throughout the day, he has a goal of 100g of sugar, that needs to be closer to like 10g.

if you dont agree i would be interested to hear your thoughts.

cheers,
  • LolBroScience

Hey bud,

what a waste of my time.

Hey Man,
    so your 'Why?' is referring to why only have High GI carbs first thing in the morning and immediately after training ?

first thing in the morning when you need to re fuel your body its ok and smae for after a workout but all other time when you're not doing much physical activity..

More insulin is released. A high insulin level promotes a quick storage of sugar in muscle and the liver. It also inhibits the hormone glucagon, which normally tells the body to burn stored fat. Forthcoming meals restore glycogen (especially if high glycemic) and the cycle keeps repeating. Thus, fat stores do not get touched and usually grow larger.
    Blood sugar levels then drop quickly, leaving you hungry sooner. Suddenly, the body needs more fuel. But because glucagon is still in short supply, the body does not tap into its fat supply for energy.

If his problem is that he is gaining to much fat, and also by looking at his diet, this could be because he isnt buring his fat stores enough and he keeps adding to fat stores everytime he is eating high GI at lunch and other Sugary crap throughout the day, he has a goal of 100g of sugar, that needs to be closer to like 10g.

cheers,

It's merely a matter of majoring in the minors...

He's not eating High GI carbs as a stand alone, he is eating it in tandem with other foods as a complete meal. Thus, GI is lowered. He in a caloric surplus, energy is being stored regardless of it is from carbs, protein, or fats. Fat storage will occur to some degree whether the surplus is from carbs, fat, or protein.

There is nothing wrong with sugar (barring medical issues). A goal of 10 grams of sugar? If I eat half an apple I'm passed that for the day. Let's also eliminate vegetables too because you know... sugar.

If he's "feeling fat" he's either consuming too many calories for his activity level and thus gaining too rapidly, or it's all in his head and he just feels bloated. I'm going with the latter since he states the scale moved only 1lb and its over the course of two weeks.
  • Jschrolms
    So even if you eat food extremely high on the GI as long as in that meal its balanced with low GI food. that High GI food has no affect on the rise of blood sugar in your body?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    You really should do some research on what GI means. The index is based on simple foods from a fasted state. A Snickers bar is lower in GI than a carrot but what would you recommend?
  • Jschrolms
    Have a look into Glycemic Load mate, ever heard of that?
  • Jschrolms
    I could spend hours writing about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load but it is pretty safe to keep it basic, but i will make it more clear

Eat foods that burn slowly throughout the day
    Eat foods that burn up fast only first thing in morning and after a workout
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    So even if you eat food extremely high on the GI as long as in that meal its balanced with low GI food. that High GI food has no affect on the rise of blood sugar in your body?

I never stated that is has no effect. I stated it has a greatly reduced effect. The only reason it would potentially have an effect is that High GI foods typically lack fiber and other nutrients so people are more apt to easily over consuming it. Doing so would lead to an overall larger caloric surplus. If, the caloric surplus is being held as a consistent level, it will not make a different on a carb versus carb basis. Now, impacting overall health... that's different.

As I said, you're in a caloric surplus anyway. Fat gain will occur no matter what. Nutrient timing comes in dead last in the overall picture, especially with your average person. Stop majoring in the minors and making things more difficult then they have to be.

OP, sit back and enjoy the bulking ride. If you're really that concerned about gaining fat too rapidly.. just cut back on your overall surplus and slowly increase it over time. Don't over think it.
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Edit - Posted 2x
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    I could spend hours writing about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load but it is pretty safe to keep it basic, but i will make it more clear

So in other words... you don't know where else to take this conversation so you're going to repeat yourself, proceed to stick your fingers in your ears and make a bunch of noises like "I can't hear you"....got it.

Interesting... You could spend hours writing about glycemic load? Research admits that the study of glycemic load is almost nil. So what would you be basing your "hours of writing" on? Have you studied every meal combination and determined their glycemic load?

The fact is you haven't, and you throw these terms around to sound smart. The fact is glycemic index is based on ingesting solely carb sources in a fasted state - which isn't real world. Glycemic load, outside of diabetic or other medical issues, means nothing to the average person. CICO is the main determining factor in fat gain. Spiking insulin levels, slow vs fast digesting carbs, nutrient timing etc comes in dead last for an average, healthy individual.

Would you say that fat gain is possible in a caloric deficit if the carbs are high glycemic, or the load is high glycemic??
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member

Hey bud,

what a waste of my time.

Hey Man,

cheers,

Insulin is anabolic though........just saying.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014

And what you say still doesn't do much, the evidence just doesn't support any argument for it being superior to anything else where the caloric intake is negative to the same degree.

Have I heard of GL vs GI, have you heard of II? Have you studied biochem? We could go in circles of hours siting gurus but I prefer science and science isn't supporting GI as you would like to think it does.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member

And what you say still doesn't do much, the evidence just doesn't support any argument for it being superior to anything else where the caloric intake is negative to the same degree.

Have I heard of GL vs GI, have you heard of II? Have you studied biochem? We could go in circles of hours siting gurus but I prefer science and science isn't supporting GI as you would like to think it does.

When you say "it doesn't do much" can you support this claim with scientific evidence? Like a link to what exactly you are referring to please.

Can you show me what scientific evidence there is that doesn't support GI as "he thinks it does" ?

Thanks!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Please check the Mayo Clinic. It shows that GI does not have any real advantages over any other diets. It's an option for those who want to lose weight, particularly for diabetics but it's not magic. There is no evidence to support that it produces better results for weight loss than any other diet.

ETA: ok including the link since you asked :)mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/glycemic-index-diet/art-20048478?pg=2

There are many other studies etc but I don't want to just getting into a citation list when Mayo does a good job in an unbiased article.
  • Deacap
    Deacap Posts: 23 Member
    Just shut up and lift
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    These arguments about GI and GL being beneficial for weight loss are not particularly relevant in the 'gaining weight' section IMO

Both complex and simple carbs are needed during a bulk. Paying attention to GI or GL is pointless (unless there is an underlying medical issue) as fat gain while eating at surplus cannot be avoided

Being unhappy with the fat you gain during a bulk is more of a mental issue, the longer you can stand it, the more muscle you are going to build.
  • Wheelhouse15
    3laine75 wrote: »
    These arguments about GI and GL being beneficial for weight loss are not particularly relevant in the 'gaining weight' section IMO

Both complex and simple carbs are needed during a bulk. Paying attention to GI or GL is pointless (unless there is an underlying medical issue) as fat gain while eating at surplus cannot be avoided

Being unhappy with the fat you gain during a bulk is more of a mental issue, the longer you can stand it, the more muscle you are going to build.

Very good points and spot on. I imagine that the perceived fat increases are more an issue in not understanding the bulking cycle. You will look softer and you will put on fat as you gain muscle but that's why you go into a cutting cycle after the bulking cycle.