Working out after new tattoo

I rewarded myself yesterday with a new tat i believe it was well deserved and it turned out really REALLY bad *kitten*.

What is everyone's thoughts on working out after getting a new tattoo? It is such a gorgeous day today I feel like i need to go run. There are conflicted advice online about working out after getting it. From you can next day to wait up to 10 days.

I'm thinking if I wrap it so my shirt wont rub it I should be ok?

Any advice??

Thanks

Replies

• aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    I have no advice, as I don't have any tattoos (yet)...
    But I just had to say that IS a bad *kitten* tat!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    I waited one day after getting the one on my back. I just made sure that I took a shower right after wards and than put the ointment on. Mines pretty big and it did just fine. I say play it by ear, if it starts to bleed or crack, stop what your doing....BTW I think its pretty bad *kitten* too =) !!!!!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    put whatever cream you were given for after care - then wrap it with saran wrap while you work out....this is what my tattoo artist told me to do for the first few days
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Speaking from medical point of view. cover it so it doesn't have anything rubbing against nor get sweat dripping on it for the pores to absorb. No reason not to be able to exercise it's not an open wound..The advise given to me when wanting to tan and such was to cover it and when I was done pull the covering off and rub a good lotion on it...I did and it turned out fine...Go for your run...
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    No advice, other than what has been given already, but I did want to say freaking awesome tat
  • I have one running hip/ribs/shoulder blade and I am a dance teacher. I took a day off teaching so that I didnt stretch/crack or inflame it further. You dont want to risk a lot of work (and money) do you? lol. Maybe do something lighter? long walk instead of run? I know it sounds pants haha but that is what I would do.

Hope that helps.
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Totally awesome tat! My 30 pound reward is a lower back piece, final goal reward is to finish the full back piece :)

My artist told me the saran wrap trick for the one on my calf. Just keep it protected from sweat and trauma, and you will be ok.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    If your arm gets sore then listen to the pain and ease up..lighter weights..
    Should have no problem with it, just put lotion on it, anything that is not petroleum base lotion. All should be good. Keep the lotion on it.

Awesome tat, by the way.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Loving your new ink!!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    I only have one tattoo, but didnt know you werent aloud to work out after getting one done!? Maybe you should use the plastic wrap around it, so the sweat doesnt mess up your ink!?!?!?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Aquaphor, wrap it, tape it down to seal out sweat. Work out, shower, clean it with dial gold, more aquaphor.
  • dominioniwoman
    dominioniwoman Posts: 19 Member
    Go for it, the tat is awesome. I got my last one late 2009 and I exercised that night just kept it covered and if I felt the skin tighten I would slow my pace down :bigsmile: