what does 4, 6 and 8 oz of steak look like?

Does anyone know how to tell how big a portion of steak is with using hand measurements, etc? I don't have a food scale.

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    How thick is the steak?
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Not sure how to tell. Something about a deck of cards. But I would suggest spending $20 and buying a food scale. I find my benficial all the time. Use it daily.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    The size of a deck of cards is 3-4oz
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    4 oz= a deck of cards...roughly.
  • PeterBuilt09
    PeterBuilt09 Posts: 24 Member
    a 4 ounce steak is about the size of a deck of cards or the size of the average persons palm (no fingers included)
  • msdominique1
    msdominique1 Posts: 65 Member
    I use a food scale to determine the measurements...

I bought mine from bed bath & beyond and it was 20 bucks... I am sure you can probably find one at your local walmart for cheaper maybe... that would help a lot of food measurements.
  • yes, i agree. but you should go ahead and get a scale. it really helps. they don't cost much either. got mine at walmart for $15
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Uh oh....Here I have been messing up my figures >.< Ive been thinking I deck of cards is 6 oz, which means EVERYTHING in my food diary is really off if it is in ounces...by about 2 ounces each...Crap...Maybe that has something to do with my being hungry frequently >.<
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    I actually think a deck of cards = 3 oz. Could be wrong though.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    How thick is the steak?

I would say its about an inch thick
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely go and buy a scale!!!!
  • Purchased my scale on Amazon for $25. I has the zero out feature to remove the weight of the plate.
  • Great YouTube presentation by Jay Jorgensen - He says Fist - Says he's 6' plus and his fist is about 8oz - but if you are a tiny woman your fist will probably be about 4oz. Says the fist measure puts your chicken, fish or steak in the 6 to 8 oz range and give or take a little you are on track. Also says not to skimp on this protein. That you need this amount daily. Other info says that 20% of your calories actually are designated to make your brain function properly. Use your fist - and look him up if you have more q's. YouTube.
  • I can't think in oz...I learned the metric system in school, so I'm used to having everything in grams/kilograms/litres/millilitres. When I have to log something in oz I always have to google first how many grams that is... :sweat_smile:
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Delicious.
    A little more delicious.
    Twice as delicious.
  • Thanks everyone! I will definitely go and buy a scale!!!!

would be more economical to buy an 8 ounce steak ;)
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    I bought my scales for £5 around $8 from Walmart Asda. Buy second hand ones from ebay.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I actually think a deck of cards = 3 oz. Could be wrong though.
    This says you're right.

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member
    I can't think in oz...I learned the metric system in school, so I'm used to having everything in grams/kilograms/litres/millilitres. When I have to log something in oz I always have to google first how many grams that is... :sweat_smile:

28.35 grams per ounce (solid, not liquid).
  • dmprice17
    dmprice17 Posts: 22 Member
    can't take a scale to resturant