Do big boobs make you look fat?

Options
I feel like with a bigger chest (which didn't even go down after losing 50lbs) I still look BIG because of them and might always look big regardless of how much more I lose. I would like to lose another 10-15lbs but dont know if that will even help. Any opinions?

ETA - I seen a picture of someone on here with the exact same height and weight as me, but smaller breasts and she looked alot thinner, which is odd because you'd think if I carry so much fat in the girls, my waist and hips would appear to be smaller....

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've always been busty (even when thin) and yes, it can make you look a little bigger than you really are.

Make sure you're in the right size bra. If you are like most women, you're wearing too large a band size and too small a cup size. Once you have a bra that fits correctly, you instantly seem to lose about 10 pounds because the twins are up off your ribcage, making you look smaller and longer-torsoed, and making all of your clothes fit better. You can also consider 'minimizer' bras, but you may be pleased just by getting into the right size.

You can also try to decrease body fat through diet and exercise, which will make your breasts somewhat smaller. But if you've always been busty, you'll probably still be busty when thin.

You actually look very well-proportioned to me in your profile picture!
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they can...but in my case...I think it's my child-birthing hips. LOL. ;)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I've always been busty (even when thin) and yes, it can make you look a little bigger than you really are.

Make sure you're in the right size bra. If you are like most women, you're wearing too large a band size and too small a cup size. Once you have a bra that fits correctly, you instantly seem to lose about 10 pounds because the twins are up off your ribcage, making you look smaller and longer-torsoed, and making all of your clothes fit better. You can also consider 'minimizer' bras, but you may be pleased just by getting into the right size.

You can also try to decrease body fat through diet and exercise, which will make your breasts somewhat smaller. But if you've always been busty, you'll probably still be busty when thin.

I was refitted at VS after my 50lb weight loss. My body fat is at 19% now so I dont think it'll even go down much more when I lose my extra 10/15lbs. Yeah I've been a DD since 6th grade. :cry:
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    Yes.....you will look bigger!!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know as I've never had big boobs lol! BUT I think when the shirt is more fitted on busty girls it makes them look a lot thinner then when they are wearing a high neck, loose shirt and the boobs are holding the shirt out. Also, the right bra with the right lift and everything makes a huge difference too! I have a lot of busty people in my life so I notice these things a lot :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have big boobs too that never go down - at my skinniest (a size 6) I still had 32 DDD bra size. I'm currently a 34 DDD.

I worry about big boobs making me look fat too - but I also realize I have a really small "around" i.e. my actual rib cage chest and waist are incredibly tiny. So I dress to accentuate those. NEVER do I wear loose fitting tops - now I don't wear skin tight either, but everything I wear comes in at the waist or is belted. All my dresses are pretty much A-Line type of style - comes in at the waist with a slight flair in the skirt. I think (and from pictures I've seen, I'm right) that as long as I accentuate my waist, I don't look fat just because I have big boobs --- now when I wear sweatshirts and yoga pants - yep, the boobs make me look fat so I just can't do that. Even with casual wear, I have to find the fitted zip up hoodies.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is that it makes life harder, but you absolutely can dress so that big boobs do not equal looking fat!!
  • mrsnorman
    mrsnorman Posts: 45
    Options
    im a G cup atm and when i was 14 and a size 10-12(uk) i looked sooo much bigger with my then E cup boobs, its really not fair!lol
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Sweetie - I hate to tell you this, but if you are busty - you just can't wear VS bras. They are "vanity sized" and I've found that their fittings are sub par. Even if you have travel a ways, please go to a speciality bra shop or Nordstroms to get fitted. Bras will be more expensive, but trust me, they are WORTH it!! And get refitted every 6 months just to make sure your size hasn't changed and try every bra you buy on. Bras fit differently, boobs are shaped differently - some will just not work others you'll want two of!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes you they do make you look bigger, Ive been busty all my life and even when I was smaller I felt larger then other women who looked to be the same size as me without the big breast. I guess I've just gotten use to it. Plus I enjoy having big breast except when it's time to run or do jumping jacks! LOL
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they can...but in my case...I think it's my child-birthing hips. LOL. ;)

I like the term "load-bearing" to describe hips :laugh:
  • asiedler806
    asiedler806 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well yes and no..believe me I have rather large ones myself...38DDD, When I lost nearly 50 pounds a few years ago, I felt like I looked the same still...because of those darn things!! But I learned to do is find the right clothes to help with that. People still notice that you have lost weight. You need a good bra to get those puppies lifted up!!! Put those things where they need to be, because they also make you feel weighted down. I also found a tummy slimmer, that looks like a tank top, and I wear it like one. helps with posture and makes me feel better. When you are hunched over...you may look more dumpy..thats what I found I was doing...well in return...I felt fatter! Its all about just finding the right fitting clothes really. Finding button up tops, that taper to the waist, you can wear a tank top under it...or a nice thinner shirt....so that it highlights "your girls"...but yet shows that you have a waist!...I used to try to cover the "girls" up...now ...I show them off a little...LOL!! Good Luck!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know as I've never had big boobs lol! BUT I think when the shirt is more fitted on busty girls it makes them look a lot thinner then when they are wearing a high neck, loose shirt and the boobs are holding the shirt out. Also, the right bra with the right lift and everything makes a huge difference too! I have a lot of busty people in my life so I notice these things a lot :)

I also agree with this!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    it depends on whether or not they are resting on my belly roll or in a bra:laugh:

Okay all joking aside. I don't think they make you look big, I think they look feminine. Imagine if you had hips with no boobs, we've all seen what that looks like, so boobs to me balance out the body.
  • hollyd1986
    hollyd1986 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was a 34G when I started my diet at 167.4lbs
    I still wear my 34g's but my boobs have shrunk a little....Im going to get the same bras in an F size as they give me a great shape and good lift, but yes...........bigger boobs, sadle do make u look bigger!! I find aswell cos my boobs are big, my arms (which are chunky anyway) dont lie flat and get pushed out a little by my boobs sometimes so they looks bigger too!!

Right clothes and fitting underwear make a BIG difference tho

You look find to me in ur profile pic :) xx
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I also agree with this!

Completely agree. You HAVE to show your waist when you're busty or you'll look several sizes larger than you really are.

You can do that with belts, with knit tops, bias cut fabrics, well-tailored blazers, etc. Woven blouses always need to be altered to show a waist--they're no friend to the busty the way they come on the hanger!

If you're still sensitive about showing your 'true waist', empire waist styles (which nip in directly below your bustline but go slightly a-line over your midsection) are a great alternative.

Boatneck tops and turtlenecks will make you look larger, as will sleeves that stop in the middle of your bustline (they make it look wider). Look for v-necks, scoop-necks or slash necks.

ETA: I agree that Victoria's Secret is nto the best choice for women with significant breasts. Too many of their styles are made to be basically worn prancing around your bedroom, NOT to give the right support under clothes. Le Mystere is one brand that makes wonderful foundation garments in larger bust sizes. VS is fine for sexytimes, but not so great for daily workhorses of your wardrobe.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hmmm,for me it makes my waist and hips look smaller,but my shoulders and upper chest look bigger.IDK so crazy
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was refitted at VS after my 50lb weight loss. My body fat is at 19% now so I dont think it'll even go down much more when I lose my extra 10/15lbs. Yeah I've been a DD since 6th grade. :cry:

i was busting outta a DD as well when i was in 6th grade, so i had a breast reduction at 16 that insurance paid for cuz the dr deemed it necessary. when i went back to school ppl thought i had lost weight in my waist before they even realized my boobs were smaller lol. of course now after two kids and weight gain im back in a dd
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I think so, when I was 121 I was around a 32C, and I really think that made me look even bigger, hated it...
    Now I am about a 32B, maybe a little smaller....
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a large chest as well and I have considered breast reduction but my doctor told me that it will interfere with breast feeding. So I talked to my doctor about trying to lose weight. She said that breasts (on women that have large breasts) will be the last part of the body to "shrink" and feel the effects of the weight loss. She told me that once I got to the highest weight with a healthy bmi, my breast size would start to shrink then. The best part is that she knew becuase she had been trying to lose weight and had just gotten down to a DD.
    I totally understand how it feels. I have gotten to the point where that's the part of my body that I hate the most. That's 90% of the reason I want to lose weight. Good Luck!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had a breast reduction from a 40H/I to a 38C (had lipo done on the "side fat" which made my band size go down, as well) and I looked like I'd lost 20 pounds when all I did was find my torso.