Ab Coaster vs. Ab Glider

I happened to be watching QVC over the weekend while doing my spinning bike and came across the Proform Ab Glider. It looks awesome!! I have done some research between the Montel Williams Ab Coaster and the ProForm Ab Glider. Please tell me if you have one and/or which one you prefer. I am leaning torwards the Ab Glider. Also, I am trying to find out how many calories they each burn per 1/2 hour of workout. Any help or suggestions is appreciated!!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    As a personal trainer, I can tell you that there are plenty of simple body weight exercises you can do that will trump either one of these for results, without spending a dime.

I don't want to discourage you, but I hate seeing people spend money on things they don't need.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Plus you are doing the same exercise over and over. You will benefit from it for about a month until your body adjusts to it.
  • I had a severe herniated disc about 1 1/2 years ago and had to have an epidural to be able to walk again. I dont want to do conventional sit-ups ect. that may strain my back.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    I had a severe herniated disc about 1 1/2 years ago and had to have an epidural to be able to walk again. I dont want to do conventional sit-ups ect. that may strain my back.

Do you have access to a physical therapist or personal trainer who might help you with exercises you can do without having to buy one of those machines? I'm sure even a little Googling can help...
    I'd hate to see you waste $$ on one.
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    I HAVE THE AB GLIDER BUT HAVE TRIED THE AB COASTER AT OUR GYM. I WOULD MUCH RATHER THE AD GLIDER THAT I BOUGHT BECAUSE YOU CAN DO MORE EXERCISES ON IT THAN THE JUST ABS. YOU CAN REMOVE THE SEAT AND USE IT AS A BRACE FOR PLANK EXERCISES, AND CHANGE THE SEAT/LOOK POSITION TO DO OBLIQUE MUSCLE EXERCISES. IT IS MADE SO THAT YOU CAN DO BACK AND FORTH/ ABS. SIDE TO SIDE/OBLIQUES OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. AS FAR AS THE MINUTES AND CALORIES BURNED I THINK I HAVE IT LOGGED INTO THE DATABASE, BUT THIS IS AN AVERAGE AND NOT ALL WORKOUTS ARE AS STRENUOUS AS OTHERS
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I had a severe herniated disc about 1 1/2 years ago and had to have an epidural to be able to walk again. I dont want to do conventional sit-ups ect. that may strain my back.

sit ups aren't the only core work you can do. For 15 bucks you can buy an exercise ball that would support your back and you can do crunches on it with full back support. other things are wall squats, captains chairs, bent knee heel touches, suppine leg raises. All of these support the back while still working the core and abs.

My wife had a crushed disk in her back as well, so I recognize the problems that this can come with. You can overcome it though.
  • I had a severe herniated disc about 1 1/2 years ago and had to have an epidural to be able to walk again. I dont want to do conventional sit-ups ect. that may strain my back.

Do you have access to a physical therapist or personal trainer who might help you with exercises you can do without having to buy one of those machines? I'm sure even a little Googling can help...
  • bleaugirl
    bleaugirl Posts: 1 Member
    As a personal trainer, I can tell you that there are plenty of simple body weight exercises you can do that will trump either one of these for results, without spending a dime.

I don't want to discourage you, but I hate seeing people spend money on things they don't need.

I think you are missing the point. There is not a single person on earth that doesn't know you can exercise w/o equipment. It is like she is asking advice on a treadmill and you are suggesting she go walk outside :} We buy equipment to vary our exercise experience. If a machine can get you the results of a sit-up, but is fun, most women recognize the benefit... we are actually going to do it. Free exercise is no good if we aren't motivated to do it regularly.

Have you priced a physical therapist or personal trainer. Two visits to my trainer would cover the cost of the glider. Plus, you get to use the glider in the comfort of your own home. I personally don't like having someone tell me what to do- much less pay them.

I wish people would answer the question at hand. Coaster Vs Glider. Thanks Mawskittykat
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Old thread I know... I have an ab coaster I got off if craigslist. I love it. It takes the pressure off my lower back and is more/ different than sit ups on a ball. I tried the other ones at the sports chalet and I'm happy I picked ab coaster. It seems sturdier and I like that I can add some weight. However it is annoying to my husband because of the sound of it sliding and it takes up about a 3x4clear foot space.
  • sharronak
    sharronak Posts: 4 Member
    The lady asked a question about two different machines, why discourage her, at least she is trying, some of us need the machine for motivation, makes it fun. I dont get out and run, I have a bum knee, but I get on my elliptical everyday, now I want a toner tummy, and I am asking the same question, which is better the ab coaster or ab glider, and I dont want a just crunch freeking answer, you crunch, I want a machine
  • traymast
    traymast Posts: 23
    I have an Ab Glider and I love it! My daughter and I both do. We got it off of Craigslist so I have only two of the workouts that are on youtube - they are excellent!

I saw really bad reviews on the Ab Coaster so I didn't get that one.

The reviews are split on the ab glider - most people complain that it hurts their arms.. this is TRUE! The first month or so they will kill - but then they strengthen up and you will find yourself really figuring out how the machine works and concentrating on your belly while you use it.

I am working on finding more of the videos that come with it now :)
  • I have a Ab Glider, me and my honey both have deter rating disks so it takes the strain off. I'm not sure about the calories burned it varies for us but I have scene a lot of definition form it we use it religiously. I will admit working on are sides does hurt both of us where are backs are damaged but we are very happy and love it.
  • IntegratedBodies
    IntegratedBodies Posts: 10 Member
    For me it's been way more about my diet with almost no actual ab work directly and I'm prepping for a Figure Competition
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Montel Williams? Didn't he used to give leather jackets and VCRs to abusive husbands if they agreed to stop beating their wives?