Diabetic-Lost 125 lbs. and kicked insulin habit

New to postings. Diagnosed diabetic May 2010 and changed my lifestyle. Restricted calories to1200 daily and as the weight dropped off, I have gone from taking insulin 4x a day to ZERO. No lie, it's really hard work and I have some complications from the diabetes (foot numbness (Neuropathy)) but I now go to the gym 5x a week and eat and feel so much better. Even though I received a diabetic diagnosis, I am probably more healthy now. Still need to lose some more weight but now know it's a journey!!! Any diabetics out there, would love to share food choices~

Replies

• sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Congrats that's awesome that you went and took charge! Good for you!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Great job!!! You have done amazing and I am sure you will inspire many.
    My mom is insulin dependant at the moment - and I hope one day she can kick the habbit so to speak.
    Im trying to get ahead before i fall behind. no diabetes for me thanks
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    That's what it's all about, health! You've done an incredible job! :flowerforyou:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    That is awesome! Congrats on getting off of insulin shots. Keep up the amazing work!!!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    I'm not diabetic but in the pre-diabetic stage before I took off weight....however, congrats on the weight loss. Isn't maintenance the hardest part? I know for me, it is! :) I too lost 90lbs. the first year, then took off my last 17lbs. last year (and put 25 back on this year - which I'm taking off that, plus about 15 more lbs.) Keep it up - you can do it!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Congrats :drinker: I as well have kicked the insulin :smile:
    I use to take 4 pills and 2 shots a day. haven't had any meds in almost
    4 months now.
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Congrats! As a Type 1 Diabetic (who will be on insulin for the rest of my life no matter what) I really admire it when Type 2 Diabetics get to work and lose weight in order to reverse their need for insulin. I know that I would do pretty much anything to not have to take insulin and it always miffs me when I meet a Type 2 who simply complains about it but never takes action.

Congrats on a job well done! You should be very proud of yourself and I can tell you that your pancreas thanks you!
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    awesome!!! I love hearing stuff like that!!!
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    That is so awesome!! I was diognosed about three years ago but was never put on insulin. I lost about 30 pounds and then gained it all back now am in the process of losing again. I was on Metphormin for a bit but stopped taking it but still check my blood sugar regularly to make sure that it stays normal. Would love to see your food choices to get some ideas.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    My main focus was to give up soda (I drank a lot of diet soda), sodium, sugar (of course) and alcohol. I know that's hard.

Things I love to eat:

Ezekiel Sesame Bread - made with sprouted grains. I have this everyday toasted with SF Jelly or Almond Butter. I AM A HUGE FAN. I get it at Trader Joes and when I emailed the company I was a fan, they mail me 4 50 cent coupons per month. I'm unemployed so that helps.

Almond Butter with Flaxseeds - again Trader Joes.

I drink unsweetened iced tea, I make my own every morning. I like True Blueberry or Fruit Tea sampler by Celestial Seasonings . My husband even drinks it now. I even fill it into my gym water bottle instead of plain water.

Flavored Seltzer water - giving up soda was tough and I hate plain water.

I changed my eating lifestyle to each almost no processed foods. The sodium is a killer and I just made that choice. A carrot is a carrot and a potato is a potato. Needless to say, we don't eat out much and if I do, I always check online before going to the restaurant.

Quinoa - I like it better than brown rice and I don't have to add anything to it - I like it plain. Boxed couscous (processed) is too salty for me.

Trader Joes Fruit Leathers - they are about 50 cents each and are all fruit or veggies. They are about 60 calories and I keep them in my purse if I need a lift or after a workout.

That's all I can think of at the moment - I'm sure more will come to me.
  • YOU'VE DONE GREAT
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    AMAZING, its funny on how having better eating habits literally change your life..I am very proud of you. keep up the great work. we need to see some pics my friend
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    New to postings. Diagnosed diabetic May 2010 and changed my lifestyle. Restricted calories to1200 daily and as the weight dropped off, I have gone from taking insulin 4x a day to ZERO. No lie, it's really hard work and I have some complications from the diabetes (foot numbness (Neuropathy)) but I now go to the gym 5x a week and eat and feel so much better. Even though I received a diabetic diagnosis, I am probably more healthy now. Still need to lose some more weight but now know it's a journey!!! Any diabetics out there, would love to share food choices~

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Yep- I've dropped 40 pounds in 3 months with 80 to go. My endo cut my meds big time for my diabetes- I was taking 3 insulins and 3 pills. I am now down to 3 pills and 1 insulin at a minimum does once/day. In another 20 pounds she will start taking me off the pills.

By the time I hit goal weight she wants me completely off the meds or at most a single pill once per day.

And for those who understand my A1C in 3 months went from 12.9 to 7.0.
  • beaglegal
    beaglegal Posts: 15
    Wonderful job! This is so encouraging to hear! My mother has had diabeties for about 50 years (she is 83) and still does not understand the "control" part of it. She eats whatever she wants and takes her insilin 4 times a day. Was talking to her this morning and she was telling me what she ate for breakfast. I said, "Doesn't that make your blood sugar go up?" She say, "well, I don't put any sugar on it." :noway: I was telling her about me being prediabetic now and how I was learning about carbs, what to eat, what not to eat and so on and you would have thought I was speeking french to her! :huh: I sooooo don't want to go into being a diabetic!!! I am just learning but right now it seems I have so much stuff to process in my brain I don't know what to do. But, I still say, I am learning. Any help from you would be fantastic! :flowerforyou: I am trying to lose about 60ish pounds. It's going sllloooowww. And, getting up off my duff and moving more!!:bigsmile:
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Before I used to eat a lot of drive thru and takeout. Now, I buy fresh and cook myself. I have to say it is hard work. I keep a food diary and log my calories, what I eat, when I eat, my blood sugars and my exercise. And YES, I go to the gym 5 days out of 7. And I thought I was doing so well going to the gym but I've learned I exercise till I sweat and do at least 30 minutes on a stepper or eliptical. And I like to sweat - weird, right? Like I said, it's hard work. Before I couldn't even sit in a diner booth and would test a chair before I sat in it (Highest weight was 347) and now am much more active. But it is a journey and you must take one day at a time. I go to Planet Fitness gym and am amazed how many different people, ages, shapes and sizes work out. I respect each and every one of them for showing up to the gym. My first day at the gym I walked in with a cane - talk about sticking out!! Now I make the gym part of my day. My daughter is 15 and for most of her life, she saw me as not being able to participate in her activities and having limitations. She wasn't overweight but wasn't fit. We have taken the journey together and I hope I am a positive role model to her. Bonus: she just ran her 2nd 5K and won 2nd in her age division. If you were to tell me a year ago we would be doing what we are doing now you would have to scrape me off the floor!! In my case, I had to have the POOP scared out of me to get off my duff.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Awesome job!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!