Nausea and dizzy spells after workout

I've noticed after I workout I always end up feeling nauseated and/or dizzy and shacky - what's wrong with me? Today was the worst I've felt; I felt so out of it and felt like I was going to pass out and I drank water and the more I drank the more nauseated I felt.

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Are you working out while you are outside or in a non-air-conditioned place? I don't know where you live, but if you have the heat we have, you may HAVE to work out in a/c.

If that isn't it, I think you should see a doctor. Those could be dangerous symptoms, or symptoms of a dangerous illness.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Have you talked to your doctor about this problem?
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 168 Member
    I'd go talk to a dr, maybe your sugar levels are dropping too low. Could try eating bannana half hour before work out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I've noticed after I workout I always end up feeling nauseated and/or dizzy and shacky - what's wrong with me? Today was the worst I've felt; I felt so out of it and felt like I was going to pass out and I drank water and the more I drank the more nauseated I felt.
    Sounds to me like you're working out on an empty stomach. How much time has elapsed between your last meal and your workout?
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Sounds like you need to eat more and could be dehydrated or low blood sugar. Check with a doctor to make sure you're eating a healthy diet. I always eat a few bananas an hour or so before a workout, or whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana. It's good to have a complex carbohydrate in your system before you work out because it will release energy into your bloodstream little by little over a longer period of time.

Also, you might be pushing yourself too hard, maybe switch up your exercise routine. For example, if you're on a treadmill and running at 6 mph, break it up with 5 or 10 minute intervals of walking at 3.5 mph on an incline. Your body will slowly get stronger.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    possible drop in blood sugar.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    This used to happen to me when i first started working out. Chances are either you're pushing yourself too hard, or you're not fueling yourself properly. Make sure to eat the right foods and work at a pace that is suitable for yourself. Sometimes that means taking it easy, and drinking more water. Eventually you'll find what works for you and that wont be an issue any longer :) Best of luck!
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    firstly I would get checked out by a doctor....i had the samething almost passing out....thankfully i never did ....it turned out that it was my heart beating irregularily...could have killed myself if I had passed out behind the wheel or in a pool etc. Your problem may be totally unrelated to your heart but please dont risk it!! ....get checked out!!
  • lazywriter
    lazywriter Posts: 90
    My first guess is you're not eating enough, either in general or before exercise -- what is your weekly workout schedule, and how many cals are you eating a day?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Go to the Doctor. It could be your heart. Not kidding. Go to the Doctor even if you decide never to exercise again.
  • rankles
    rankles Posts: 8
    I concur with those saying you aren't fuelling your body correctly, although a checkup with the doctor isn't out of the question as I have no idea of your medical history!

When I first started training I only trained once a week and I had a good three or four occasions where I had to cut my session with my trainer short due to the same symptoms. My trainer advised that I should never work out on an empty stomach (decent meal an hour - two hours before the session), plenty of water during the session and most importantly for me - learn to breathe properly.

I constantly had this problem during cardio heavy strength training such as kettle bell workouts. The problem was I was not breathing correctly, meaning I was occasionally holding my breath or not getting enough oxygen.

Remember, quick exhale for exertion ie, lifting a weight, then controlled long deep breath inhalation whilst relaxing the weight.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    I think it is a matter of overdoing it workout wise and/or not eating enough! I have had this happen when I was younger and most often than not it was either one or both I mentioned! Make sure like others have said to breathe correctly and drink plenty of fluids and make sure the temp in the area you workout isn't crazy muggy! As always it is smart to check in with your primary care physician and make sure nothing is lowering your blood sugar levels or any other problems that could be adding or worsening your bouts. Good luck and I hope you figure it all out hun! <3
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Actually I eat around 4 pm and normally start my workout around 6 or 7pm - and I normally workout in a room with a low fan no A/C; the climate here in South Texas is normally from 103-105 degrees so I like to keep a fan on. Back in May I was diagnosed with a heart murmur but my doctor told me it was nothing to worry about that it's an "innocent murmur". Normally throughout the day I drink around 3 liters of water - should I be drinking more water? I don't drink anything with flavor just water...all day.
  • Try taking iron in the morning. Many ladies (age 14-110) don't get enough iron in their diet and it makes for fatigue and sickness
  • cathyl3
    cathyl3 Posts: 67 Member
    Please, please, at the very least, call your doctor and tell him/her that you are having these symptoms. You don't want to mess around with your heart. I lost my brother when he was 39, and he had symptoms like this after exercising. Not to scare you, it probably is something simple, but you want to be sure you are ok for working out.
  • rosalee87
    Please, please, at the very least, call your doctor and tell him/her that you are having these symptoms. You don't want to mess around with your heart. I lost my brother when he was 39, and he had symptoms like this after exercising. Not to scare you, it probably is something simple, but you want to be sure you are ok for working out.

Thank you, I will set up an appointment with my doctor and see what's up.
  • rosalee87
    Workout Schedule

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - Wednesday - power walking around my neighborhood
    Thursday and Friday - workout video
    Saturday and Sunday - 2 mile jog

I change it up 'cus I get bored easily
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    ELECTROLYTES! I highly recommend getting an electrolyte replacement. Having low electrolytes could easily be causing those symptoms, and if you are drinking all water with no electrolytes you could be making it worse. Send me a message if you have any questions.
  • rankles
    rankles Posts: 8
    Workout Schedule

Monday - OFF
    Tuesday - Wednesday - power walking around my neighborhood
    Thursday and Friday - workout video
    Saturday and Sunday - 2 mile jog

I change it up 'cus I get bored easily

Since you had the heart murmur I would definitely consult your doctor to be safe. Otherwise I'd recommend keeping an eye on your breathing during the aerobics workout as that's where I always struggled with breathing ad later dizziness.
  • rosalee87
    I drink SmartWater...it has electrolytes, does that count?