Sugar-free instant pudding+almond milk

Replies

• 706f68
    706f68 Posts: 1 Member
    One package of sugar free pudding mix [great value or jello],
    one table spoon of corn starch[Clabber Girl Corn Starch], and
    two cups of unsweetened almond milk [silk]..

Mix just like the pudding box says, but add in a tablespoon of cornstarch before you pour into individual containers.

Once poured, microwave on high with cover lightly on the top of the containers; then remove tops and allow to cool.

Put tops back on and chill.

Pudding One serving 1/2 cup and is 55 Calories

In grams:
    Total fat 1.25 Polyunsat. 0.25 Monounsat. 0.75
    Sodium 370 Potasium 27.5
    Total Carbs 10.75 Fiber 0.5
    Protien 0.5

Vitamin 'A' 250 IU Calcium 245 mg
    Iron 0.18 mg Vitamin 'D' 50 IU
    Vitamin 'E' 7.5 IU Riboflavin 0.255 mg
    Vitamin 'B12' 1.5 uq Magnesium 8 mg
    Zinc 0.6 mg
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    So apparently pudding mix really needs dairy to set up.

If you think about it, almond milk and soy milk are basically water with almonds or soy in there. So I just used straight water to avoid wasting my pricey almond milk.

I was making a big package of pudding, which calls for 3 cups of cold milk. I wound up using a cup of plain, fat free, greek yogurt and 2 cups of water. Came out perfect.

Id recommend whisking the yogurt and water together first though, so it doesnt clump up with the pudding mix.

Someone else mentioned using protein shake mix with almond milk/soy milk. I think it would work the same with water, as long as you use whey protein (since its dairy).
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Bump
  • ljl7171
    ljl7171 Posts: 1 Member
    To use Almond milk in the pudding, just use 1/2 the amount of liquid it asks for in the directions. Your pudding will set just fine!
  • Patrice120
    Patrice120 Posts: 23 Member
    Try chia pudding. Chia seeds with almond milk and then something to flavor it (stevia, cocoa, fruit). Let sit and it gets thick. Tons of recipes online.
  • Cmejstrik
    Cmejstrik Posts: 25 Member
    I have tied every flavor with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I used 1 cup milk and it set fine, but the taste is sooo weird. I always throw it away, and I never throw away food! Anyone else have this issue? It tastes fine with skim cows milk, but the almond tastes strange. Is it maybe the vanilla in the almond milk? I love the stuff plain, but with the SF/ FF pudding mix it is just gross! And I really want to like it. So sad :(
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    you might try adding some chia seeds to it.. seems like that would gel it up. Some people have a texture thing with chia though..

Just a thought.

Sharon
  • Last night made instant pudding using unsweetened almond milk. Not happening put in freezer for 1 hour and was better but not pudding. I need low carb so will try heaving whipping cream next time with 1/2 water. Shout work????
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Only issue with tofu pudding is higher in calories
    "Mori-Nu" Silken Lite Tofu is only 120 calories for the entire block! (four servings total)
    And it is really high in protein, low fat.

Blend with cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla extract.
    It has hardly any tofu flavor, incredibly bland.
    ^__^
  • CHAR1105
    CHAR1105 Posts: 18 Member
    bump
  • bump
  • I make mine with almond milk and freeze it just a bit to thicken it up and it's delicious. :)
  • GrandmaJackee
    GrandmaJackee Posts: 46 Member
    I don't know if it works or not, but my trainer just told me to make it with 1 scoop protein powder and only 1 cup almond milk, not 2 cups. Have the stuff but haven't make it yet.
    Great idea, just made it, I think it tastes great!
  • GrandmaJackee
    GrandmaJackee Posts: 46 Member
    Messed this up again. Yes the sf pudding with 1 cup of almond milk and 1 scoop of protein powder tastes great, made it today and ate it all.
  • alischoeneweis
    alischoeneweis Posts: 6 Member
    Mix in 2 tsps corn starch to the pudding mix prior to adding the almond milk. It will thicken like normal pudding.
  • dmburrow
    dmburrow Posts: 2 Member
    JaenaM wrote: »
    The box of sugar free jello instant pudding says that it won't set up with soy milk. So I tried making it with almond milk tonight and found the same holds true. My dessert was like a thick chocolate soup. Tasty, but I was really wanting pudding and need to keep it very low-cal. Has anyone found a work-around for this? Anyone know of a very low-cal non-dairy pudding alternative?

• dmburrow
    dmburrow Posts: 2 Member
    You can make instant pudding with almond milk!
    I do it alla the time....

This is what you need:

1 (small) package instant pudding (I like sugar free pistachio)
    2 tsp corn starch (or coconut flour)
    1 1/2 cups almond milk

Mix the corn starch or the coconut flour in with the pudding mix and slowly add the almond milk while whisking all of the ingredients together. Allow the pudding to chill.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    I alternate with greek yogurt and cottage cheese with some protein powder. The protein content is amazing using both plus the protein powder. I blend it all in a blender to incorporate and then chill.
  • ccfadams
    ccfadams Posts: 1 Member
    Just found a blog that added...2 tsp corn starch to pudding mix, then slowly add in only 1.5 cups Almond milk.... Enjoy!
  • KammyWal
    KammyWal Posts: 3 Member
    bjfmade wrote: »
    Funny, I just about this on hungrygirl.com. You will have to do a search because I didn't actually go to the recipe.

Hungry girl is great! She has some recipes I really like. I subscribed to her page and get email tips. Really love it.