PCOS & Victoza

Is anyone else taking VIctoza for PCOS and having success???

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I have PCOS and I take nothing currently... I control symptoms with my diet and exercise and so far working ok.
    But now curious what this is.... thanks for the name, I'll google and bring with me to my next appointment .

EDIT: I just googled it and its another Type II diabetes medication so I'm sure it works for some people. I took metformin for quite awhile, but I also had diabetes at the time. I found that the symptoms that botheres me most were never affected by medication so I just eat lower carb/high protein and I had endometrial ablation so I no longer get a period and that problem is solved.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    I've never heard of it, what is it? .. is it a birth control?
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Not sure what this is, but curious
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I want to BUMP this because i have never heard of Victoza and am curious about it now. I am on Metformin and loloestrin. Do you have to take a metformin when you take this drug? I am hypoglycemic and find it very problematic to have low blood sugar and then have to take a drug that lowers it more!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Victoza® is a non-insulin once-daily medication that may help improve blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes.

It is used along with healthy eating and staying active to help keep your blood sugar under control and to help you manage your type 2 diabetes.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    http://www.victoza.com/

Indications and Usage

Victoza® is an injectable prescription medicine that may improve blood sugar (glucose) in adults with type 2 diabetes when used along with diet and exercise.

Victoza® is not recommended as the first medication to treat diabetes. Victoza® is not insulin and has not been studied in combination with insulin. Victoza® is not for people with type 1 diabetes or people with diabetic ketoacidosis. It is not known if Victoza® is safe and effective in children. Victoza® is not recommended for use in children.

Important Safety Information

In animal studies, Victoza® caused thyroid tumors—including thyroid cancer—in some rats and mice. It is not known whether Victoza® causes thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) in people which may be fatal if not detected and treated early. Do not use Victoza® if you or any of your family members have a history of MTC or if you have Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2). While taking Victoza, tell your doctor if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    If you google PCOS & Victoza you will see many people are taking it for PCOS.
  • LaceyBeauty
    LaceyBeauty Posts: 14 Member
    Victoza is primarily used for type II diabetes (here's the website: http://www.victoza.com/ )

My sister-in-law has been a RN for nearly 20 years and is going back to school for her nurse practioner. Her heart is for obese and insulin resistant people. She has been running a clinical trial type clinic for several months using this medication and a booklet (carb counting and meal planning from the changing life with diabetes series) and has had major success w/her patients. Some of her patients lost 70 pounds in 5 months, others lost 5 inches around the middle in just weeks, and some didn't have any significant body changes but were taken off all other medications. Yes, her patients all were diabetic... I'm her first trial w/PCOS. Because diabetes and PCOS have similar properties she tested me the same way she did all her patients, A1C and C-Peptide blood tests. With an elevated C-Peptide she knew that I was insulin resistant and a slightly elevated A1C I was at risk for diabetes... bummer how PCOS does that. Anyhow, she made it very clear that metformin was not the answer but Victoza was. She said the FDA hasn't approved it for weight loss yet, but it's coming.

I'm starting my Victoza today and will be charting weekly. She made it very clear that this is not a miracle drug but one to be used in addition to diet and exercise.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    I don't have PCOS, but I do have Type II diabetes and my doctor just switched me to Victoza and Metformin from Actos+Met and Januvia to improve my blood sugar AND help me lose weight. A lot of people report that Victoza kills your appetite. Not in a bad way. This is what I've experienced. It's only been 3 days so I can't say if it's helping me lose more than I would without it, but it is definitely helping with my inner snack monster.
  • LanakReynolds
    LanakReynolds Posts: 2 Member
    I am starting the Victoza this week. Have one friend that has PCOS like me and has lost 20 pounds so far and her A1C is way below 6.0 Praying for good things with this. :wink:
  • Hi! I just wanted to see how it was going on Victoza. I have PCOS. My A1C came back normal, but my insulin is elevated. I've been on glucophage and diet and exercise regimen for months now. The doctor recommended this to me today and I just wandered if anyone with PCOS had any luck with it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Is anyone else taking VIctoza for PCOS and having success???

Victoza is a dangerous medication.

You will put yourself at risk for pancreatic and thyroid cancer.

Low carb way of eating and exercise is the way to control and reverse the PCOS symptoms.

I am glad that I have a doctor that is focused on fixing the health issues and not throwing some dangerous drug that costs an arm and a leg at you.

Good luck and best wishes, I have heard nothing good about this drug.

Constipation; decreased appetite; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; mild back pain; nausea; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; sinus inflammation; sore throat; upset stomach; vomiting.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Victoza:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); change in the amount of urine produced; difficult or painful urination; severe stomach or back pain (with or without vomiting); symptoms of thyroid cancer (eg, lump or swelling in the neck, trouble swallowing, shortness of breath, persistent hoarseness).
  • arcticbutterfly
    arcticbutterfly Posts: 24 Member
    How is it working for weightloss? I am starting today : )
  • makotodragon
    makotodragon Posts: 2 Member
    PaleoPath4Lyf,
    Victoza, as -many- other medications, have the ability to have severe side effects. It's easy not to hear anything good when you don't want to.
    My Dr. advised me of the risks and my family screamed bloody murder when they heard I was taking this... but the studies of cancer developing were done in labs on rats that got *8 times* the amount that a normal human would get!
    Personally, I am on the lowest dose possible and just starting to see what I can accomplish on it.
    I have been on metformin, spirnolactone, and yes, even birth control. Some people are luckier than I, and can be treated by taking basic birth control pills and eating right with exercise. I am not so lucky unfortunately.
    I have been on high protein, low carb diets for a long time. For many months I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week and seeing NOTHING improve on my weight, my facial hair, or my cholesterol.
    I don't have time to live at the gym, nor the money to do diets like ideal protein all the time, not like it would do much good in my instance apparently. It's not that we're lazy or unwilling to change our lifestyle. Sometimes using medications that have a higher risk is one of the few paths that is available to us.
    I wish you the best of luck. I'm in the same boat.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Some people can successfully control PCOS and insulin resistance with diet and exercise, alone. Other CANNOT and require medication in addition. Unfortunately I fall into the latter category. :-/

I have PCOS, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. Despite a healthy lifestyle, I've struggled with my weight for the past decade. It is extremely disheartening putting your "all" into healthy eating and keeping active, and yet not seeing much, if any, weight/inches loss.

About two years ago, my endocrinologist put me on 2000mg of time-release Metformin (Glumetza). That, coupled with watching what I eat and exercising, helped me lose about 10-15 lbs. But that was over 2 years ago, and no doubt the Metform's efficacy has been reduced over time.

Again... despite recording every morsel that goes into my mouth, eating under 100g carbs or less per day, and rigorous exercise on a daily basis (kettlebells, run/walk, Zumba, HIIT, etc.), I have again come to a stand-still.

Recently my doctor suggested I try Victoza in addition to a lower dose of Metformin. He said that a lof of his patients are seeing good results on Victoza. My insurance coveres it, so I thought I would try it. Just picked up my prescription today. I'm curious to see how it goes!

I'm curious to hear what others with PCOS and insulin resistance think of Victoza.
  • makotodragon
    makotodragon Posts: 2 Member
    I have been on it for a little under a month or so now. I am finally seeing what it means to not be "starving" all the time. I agree with you, we have a lot in common it seems. Some people are lucky enough to have certain things work for them. Personally, I'm monitoring my thyroid and taking my medications every night. I am seeing my dr. in a few days for a month out visit, probably going to test my thyroid etc to ensure that everything is ok.
    That's really all you can do.
    If you have to turn to medication, take it faithfully, see your doctor regularly and make sure you feel ok. If you develop symptoms of the side effects, call your doctor. That's the name of the game. Can't be taking health advice from people in a forum now, can we.
    I am very excited that this seems to be working for me. I have noticed an increase in headaches while moving a lot (like trying to work out). But otherwise, I'm doing well. Good Luck!
  • ar14617
    ar14617 Posts: 1
    So ive been battleing my hormone issues and obesity since I can remember.. my doctor wanted to put me on victoza a while aho but insurance wouldnt pay for it since Im not diabetic. This has been probably a year. Is anybody else having problems with insurance covering victoza for pcos without being diabetic?

Eventually I feel I will become diabetic since I am boderlineish anyways and theh will have to pay eventually. Why not be proactive on something thats been used for years?
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    My endocrinologist had recommended Victoza for me a while back when I was still taking Metformin (I have T2 diabetes), and I was seriously tempted by it, but I'd just gotten off injectable insulin and really, really, REALLY didn't want to keep sticking needles in myself night after night. I'd had enough of THAT, thanks.

I want to keep myself medication-free for as long as I can, so I'm going to try to not go this route. I've also heard some pretty nasty things about this stuff - bad side effects, etc. I just don't know enough about it that I'd feel safe taking it right now.

My insurance doesn't have an issue covering anything, luckily, but then I have really, REALLY good insurance.
  • LittleMsJai
    LittleMsJai Posts: 19
    My doctor just prescribed this for and I hope it helps with my PCOS. *fingers crossed*