Waist size

Quick question....I'm a bit baffled and hopefully I can get closure on this. My waist is a 30.5 and I am 5'3" and weigh 115 lbs. I can wear size 0 pants. (Not bragging) How is it that a lot of women have a 28 in. waist and fit in a size 0 w/t them falling off? My BF percentage is about 16 or 17. I'm not complaining about a 30.5 in waist, but it just seems like 28 is the 'ideal' waist size. That just can't be because people aren't the same height or have the same build or bone size. Ugh. I think I'll just be happy with 30.5. Just wondering what a normal waist size is.

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    lol... my waist is 28 in. and I am about a size 8 - so I have no idea how someone can fit into a size 0 with a 28 in. waist. Maybe you're thinking hips?
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    I'm intruiged to know what your other vital stats are because mine are;

and according to various bf online calculations, my bf if 23.7% (taking my thin neck and wrists into consideration as well).

I am a UK size 10.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    lol... my waist is 28 in. and I am about a size 8 - so I have no idea how someone can fit into a size 0 with a 28 in. waist. Maybe you're thinking hips?

I don't think so. I measure my waist right over my belly button.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    My waist is 31 inches and my hips (where jeans actually sit) is 38 inches. I wear size 12.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Different people are built very, very differently. I'm 5'5", 138 lb and my waist is 24.5", but I have a higher body fat percentage than you, so I'd wager that my hips/thighs are much bigger than yours. Meanwhile, I have a relative who is 5'4" and 105 lb, extremely fit, and her waist is 32", because her shape is very straight-up-and-down, while mine is more of an hourglass.
  • Beezil
    Well, I'm 133lbs at the moment, and I think my BF% is around 25%. Hips are 35.5in. so that's probably why I'm a bigger size in jeans. I think your hips/butt have way more to do with what size pants you wear than your waist size. But if you're only talking about a 2 1/2 inch difference, I'm sure the women with a 28 inch waist wearing size 0 jeans are probably doing so with them being a bit looser, probably wearing a belt.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    It's that hokie woman sizing thing. Men use real measurment, not ficticious size 0......

We uses waist and inseam in inches. Seems kind of logical doesn't it?
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    It's that hokie woman sizing thing. Men use real measurment, not ficticious size 0......

Wouldn't that be nice? I wear a size 7 to 11 here depending on the item of clothing. When I was in the US on vacation, I tried on clothes and was a size 0 (!!!! hahahaha, no way in hell) to size 6, depending on the item of clothing.

When people ask what size I wear, I say, "I DON'T KNOW!" and run away crying.
  • Beezil

Wouldn't that be nice? I wear a size 7 to 11 here depending on the item of clothing. When I was in the US on vacation, I tried on clothes and was a size 0 (!!!! hahahaha, no way in hell) to size 6, depending on the item of clothing.

When people ask what size I wear, I say, "I DON'T KNOW!" and run away crying.

LMAO <3
  • welloiledmachine
    Well, I'm 133lbs at the moment, and I think my BF% is around 25%. Hips are 35.5in. so that's probably why I'm a bigger size in jeans. I think your hips/butt have way more to do with what size pants you wear than your waist size. But if you're only talking about a 2 1/2 inch difference, I'm sure the women with a 28 inch waist wearing size 0 jeans are probably doing so with them being a bit looser, probably wearing a belt.

My hips are 34.
  • welloiledmachine
    My hips are a 34 so I guess that factors in too.
  • welloiledmachine
    Thanks you guys for your input. I do have closure now knowing that 28 isn't the magical number. For me, 30 inches suits me. I won't be obsessing anymore about trying to get a 28 in. waist. That's a relief.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I think you must be measuring your waist in the wrong place. It should be right at the narrowest point, not at your belly button. I have 35 inch hips and wear a US 2-4, UK 8 ish. I have a 27 inch waist. There is no way you could wear a UK 8 with a 31 inch waist, let alone a 6, which would be a size 0.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    when i was 170 pounds my waist was 31 and i fit a size 9-11

your waist is where if you bend to the side it creases, the smallest part
  • welloiledmachine
    Okay, now I am getting different answers as to where to measure your waist. I read that you measure it on your belly button.

If I measure an inch above my belly button, my waist is a 27.5.

Where do you measure?
  • bodies are weird :P

I'm 5'2, and my waist is 24in. I also wear a size 0 comfortably. so who knows!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Okay, now I am getting different answers as to where to measure your waist. I read that you measure it on your belly button.

If I measure an inch above my belly button, my waist is a 27.5.

Where do you measure?

your natural waist where if you bend to the side it creases, 27.5 sounds more correct
  • It's usually above the belly button at the natural indention of the body. It's very confusing especially since most pants now don't sit at the natural waist.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I find it hard to believe you can get into a 0 even with a 27.5 inch waist. Mine is 27, and my smallest jeans are a size 2 (US) stretch skinny jean. You measure yourself at the narrowest part.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    I measure my waist between the bottom of my sternum and my belly button.

Everyone is different, indeed. My waist is 30, my abdomen (belly button) is 32 and hips/toosh is 40. My jeans vary from size 6-10 depending on brand, fabric ratio (stretch) etc.