Stage 1

_Sally_
_Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
I don't think there is an overall Stage 1 thread, so starting one as a place for folks to post specific questions or challenges with Stage 1.

I'm reading the book now and prepping for an after Thanksgiving start (week of 11/28).

I'm trying to understand the pushups in Workout A in Stage 1 and I wanted to get other opinions.

It looks like it starts with 2 sets of 15 pushups and then it goes to 3 sets of 8 pushups, which doesn't make sense (to go from 30 total to 24).

I'm wondering if it is a typo and is supposed to start out with 2 sets of 8 and then go to 3 sets of 15 (similar to the prone jackknife progression).

Thoughts?

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Huh. I don't know about that.

I just did that first work out of the first stage at a new-to-me gym. What amazed me leaving was how tight my hands were as I left. Also there wasn't really a decent step to step up on. I can tell I will be sore tomorrow (little bit of soreness today, really) but it is nice to get active again. I'm gonna like this. Wasn't crazy about doing the prone jacknife in front of strangers, but oh well.
  • _Sally_
    Awesome! I'm glad you had a good workout at the gym!

Since it's a new gym for you, you may need more time to scope out where all the equipment is hiding...sometimes you need to move things around, or borrow from another area, if they don't mind (like getting a step). I do stuff like that all the time, and my gym is used to me being like that, but they know I always return stuff where I get it.

I've been doing the jacknife on a ball occasionally for a few months... it was very awkward in the beginning, for sure! There is no real way to be graceful, but the results are awesome.

I'm impressed you can do the 2 sets of 15 pushups! This is definitely going to be a struggle for me, which is why it raised a red flag for me. I can't do a modification of knees down due to a some previous knee issues.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I think as you get comfortable with them you are supposed to do harder variations, so the 24 should be in someway harder, like inclined feet or something. Since I started with girly pushups at the 15, I'm doing regular push-ups for the 8.
  • _Sally_
    I think as you get comfortable with them you are supposed to do harder variations, so the 24 should be in someway harder, like inclined feet or something. Since I started with girly pushups at the 15, I'm doing regular push-ups for the 8.

Hmmm..... good point. Incline push ups would be a good goal!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread! I also just started Stage 1 and I think this thread will be very helpful.

I was wondering what you all did as far as the exercises go? For example, stage 1 of the book says to do 2 sets of 15 squats. Did you do 2 sets of 15 the whole stage or did you increase the number of sets or reps?

Thanks for your experiences! I started modifying a little (adding a third set for example). I just want to push myself.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    When I first started I did the push ups with hands on a bench. Then I got to do them on the floor-on toes, but it took me forever to get to the floor. :)

As the stage progresses you will get to do 3 sets of 10 and then 3 sets of 8. For the squats when you get too comfy, you increase the weight-I started the squats with dbs , then moved to just the barbell and then started adding weight to the bar.
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member

I'm trying to understand the pushups in Workout A in Stage 1 and I wanted to get other opinions.

It looks like it starts with 2 sets of 15 pushups and then it goes to 3 sets of 8 pushups, which doesn't make sense (to go from 30 total to 24).

I'm wondering if it is a typo and is supposed to start out with 2 sets of 8 and then go to 3 sets of 15 (similar to the prone jackknife progression).

Thoughts?

hi, I'm in week 3 of stage one. It's my understanding that The book shows 5 different angles to do your pushups in. If you can't do them at one, start at an easier one. ( pg 188) You can start by almost standing upright against a wall. I started using the bench, but my husband said my butt was too high, so to get proper form I moved up a little higher. As you get closer to the floor into "man" pushups, they are harder. So the reps would again be less.

aregensb- in answer to your questions about reps. of squats- if you look on page 140 it gives a better layout of your reps/sets.

workout 1 and 2 have 15 reps,
    workout 3 and 4 have 12 reps
    workout 5 and 6 have 10 reps
    workout 7 and 8 have 8 reps

I increased weight as I felt comfortable. workout 1 I just used the 45 lb. bar, on 2 I added 10 to each side for a total of 65 lbs. So whatever you feel comfortable with. The idea is not to increase the amount of reps, but increase the amount of weight your lifting with lower reps. Making you lift more weight less times.

I've used the swiss ball for months, so doing 8 crunches seemed easy, so I added a 10 lb. medicine ball and did more reps. My stomach is probably my biggest problem area so I'll do crunches all day long if I had to. I still have about 20 lbs to lose and this program has helped get off my plateau.

Nice job ladies... I love this !!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    I'm just checking in here to say I'm doing my first (stage 1 day 1) exercise today in a few hours. I'm excited to get started and really glad this group is here to check in with.

I'll be sure to let you all know how many times I fall off the ball while attempting the jackknifes.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Question about squats! I can't go all the way down :/ I have really tight hips, hamstrings, and lower back. So this guy showed me a variation where you put a swiss ball against the wall, put your back to the ball, and use it to brace yourself as go down into a full sit-down: quads are parallel to the ground, shins are vertical, back is vertical but pressed against the ball, then you slowly come back up, pushing back against the ball.

Thoughts? I don't think it's in the book, but does that seem like a reasonable way to work myself into being able to do squats for real? Or is it going to use the wrong muscles?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Question about squats! I can't go all the way down :/ I have really tight hips, hamstrings, and lower back. So this guy showed me a variation where you put a swiss ball against the wall, put your back to the ball, and use it to brace yourself as go down into a full sit-down: quads are parallel to the ground, shins are vertical, back is vertical but pressed against the ball, then you slowly come back up, pushing back against the ball.

Thoughts? I don't think it's in the book, but does that seem like a reasonable way to work myself into being able to do squats for real? Or is it going to use the wrong muscles?

I definitely think that is a good start.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    i have finished the 8 workouts in group a and b in stage 1 and on my next workout will do the "specialworkout" a and then the following workout do "special workout" b....my questions is this...i know we are supposed to go to failure but at what weight?? the heaviest we ended or on a lighter weight where we started on or somewhere in the middle????

example...i started squats at 45lbs and ended on 95lbs....i push myself pretty hard and would do the 95lbs but i also PUSH myself pretty far to failure and dont "quit" easily...i dont want to hurt myself so i was thinking of going back a little bit on the weight and still aiming to do many versus few if that makes sense...since workout 8 ended with a 24total count, i would push myself past that without stopping after each of the 8 reps, correct??? sooooo, for the squat example, should i maybe set my weight at 80-85lbs and push for 25+reps???

thanks in advance for your input...
    denise

ps....i finished 1b8 tonight and will do special a wednesday and then special b next monday due to the holiday....
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    i have finished the 8 workouts in group a and b in stage 1 and on my next workout will do the "specialworkout" a and then the following workout do "special workout" b....my questions is this...i know we are supposed to go to failure but at what weight?? the heaviest we ended or on a lighter weight where we started on or somewhere in the middle????

example...i started squats at 45lbs and ended on 95lbs....i push myself pretty hard and would do the 95lbs but i also PUSH myself pretty far to failure and dont "quit" easily...i dont want to hurt myself so i was thinking of going back a little bit on the weight and still aiming to do many versus few if that makes sense...since workout 8 ended with a 24total count, i would push myself past that without stopping after each of the 8 reps, correct??? sooooo, for the squat example, should i maybe set my weight at 80-85lbs and push for 25+reps???

denise

ps....i finished 1b8 tonight and will do special a wednesday and then special b next monday due to the holiday....

If I remember correctly, you're supposed to do the special workouts using the weight you started out with and do as many reps as possible. It's supposed to show you how far you've come.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    thank you for the info...i actually grabbed my book and went back and looked it up after i read your reply....i started light on my first workout because i had no idea where to start....i think i'll do my weight from my my first workout plus a little?? or maybe i'll just follow the recommendation since i have followed the program to the letter since the start already lol, why change things now :)

denise

If I remember correctly, you're supposed to do the special workouts using the weight you started out with and do as many reps as possible. It's supposed to show you how far you've come.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    QUESTION: When it comes to exercises for a single arm or single leg at a time (example: step ups) do you pause between legs or do you go straight from doing the reps for one leg to the next?
  • deninevi
    When I started ( with not too much weight) I used to go straight to the other leg. Then I added more weight and needed a bit of rest between, because I was out of breath. I say, do what feels right for you. If I can go straight to the next leg, I will, but I can't.:)
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    When I started ( with not too much weight) I used to go straight to the other leg. Then I added more weight and needed a bit of rest between, because I was out of breath. I say, do what feels right for you. If I can go straight to the next leg, I will, but I can't.:)

This^^

I was fine with lower weight, but when I upped my weight I need a short break. Mostly because my thighs were dying :)
  • aregensb
    So when did you all start seeing results from the workout/nutrition plan? Either via the scale or via measuring. I'm just curious. I feel a difference in my body already (energy level, etc.) but haven't seen any progress on the scale or in inches lost (obviously, since it's only been a week!).

Thanks for your experiences! :smile:

Edit: Also - for the squats in Stage 1, could sumo squats be substituted? Have you had success with those? There is a Smith machine in my gym, but I've been reading up lately on it and feel that perhaps the sumo squat would make me work harder.
  • aregensb
    Sorry double
  • deninevi
    So when did you all start seeing results from the workout/nutrition plan? Either via the scale or via measuring. I'm just curious. I feel a difference in my body already (energy level, etc.) but haven't seen any progress on the scale or in inches lost (obviously, since it's only been a week!).

Thanks for your experiences! :smile:

Edit: Also - for the squats in Stage 1, could sumo squats be substituted? Have you had success with those? There is a Smith machine in my gym, but I've been reading up lately on it and feel that perhaps the sumo squat would make me work harder.

Is there a reason you want to do a different kind of squat that just the back squat?
  • aregensb
    Is there a reason you want to do a different kind of squat that just the back squat?

Well I have heard that a Smith machine takes a lot of the work out of the squat when compared to using a free standing squat bar. There is no free weight squat rack in my gym and I don't just want to take the bench press bar out in the middle of the weight room and start trying to do squats, so I was looking for alternatives.