40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• GlacierGirl907
    GlacierGirl907 Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

You and I have the same goals! My goal is 125, I'm at 130.6 as of this morning. I've met my goal many times even as low as 122 for the past 3-4yrs but I haven't managed to maintain that weight!!!! Ugh!!!
    [/quote]

It's not easy for Shure I was 117 my highest ever don't count pregnancy weight lol but I quit smoking 3 years ago and my husband job changed came home for a year went from days to nights and of course girl stuff but no need to share
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Going to lots of baseball games as a season ticket holder for the local AAA team. I tend to sit more even though I'm not eating stuff at the park unless I plan it. They have a walking track there which I need to use. Or I need to walk when I get home. I'm still losing just more slowly.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Even at Still 150 pounds heavy my BP was 126/78.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 29 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Back & Biceps & Ab Ripper X"=Done!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    scale victory - starting the week where I usually end it (after losing the bloat/cals for the weekend) 163.5
    NSV - swam and walked dog Fri, Sat, Sun - officially on notch 6 of my belt for all pants. Feeling good even though I am 23-28 pounds from goal. Got groceries so lunches should be under control.
    Rainy day here. First day of summer camps, Gymnastics Finale tonight, last swim lessons tomorrow, make up horseback on Wednesday. Finished Ice skating (for now) on Saturday. These kids are running me ragged!
    Happy Monday!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Hope that everyone had a great weekend! I worked my per diem job on Saturday for 12 hours and then yesterday my BF and I took advantage of the nice weather and took the motorcycle out for a couple of hours.

@larrodarro- I will have to post an updated picture. My son's plant is sprouting some new peppers that actually look like peppers now that they have grown away from the flower. He is going to be so excited! I get him back tonight so I'm sure that he will be very excited to see that he has several new peppers on his plant. LOL
  • allenpriest
    Options
    I was at one belt hole left before i would be too big for it when I started. Now I've punched 2 new holes and use both. That's about 6 inches. So far.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,928 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

A cold, wet weekend on the baseball field. We lost all four games, to boot. But, our kid had fun.....

Lifted today. And walked. BOOM! ZOOM!

We leave for Europe in four weeks!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Allenpriest that is impressive!

Beeps I'm so jealous of your Europe trip!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not surprisingly, chest and shoulders are poorest relative-quality measurements - after all, haven't been able to do a single pushup due to torn labrum+tendonosis since March. Overall bodyfat up almost a full percentage since last week.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 30 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Plyometrics"=Done!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Glad to see everyone is doing as well as their bodies will let them. I'm taking my old body out to the garden to plant sweet corn, peas and squash this morning. Today, Wednesday and Thursday are good planting days {by the moon signs}, and I want to get as much in as I can. With the new space cut up, I have twice the area to fill. We have loved the sweet corn so much, I wish I had planted the 2nd planting two or three weeks after the first one. Now there will be that terrible period with no fresh corn. We did put some in the freezer though.

Got to run. Hope everyone has a good day,

Larro
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie - both to the 40+ age bracket (the big 4-0 birthday was 5 weeks ago), and to MFP. I started my weight loss a couple of weeks ago on 1st June. I'd started a new job, after taking a year long career break to care for my parents, so it feels like a new start for a whole bunch of things. I'm still getting used to all the codes/abbreviations and references on this site, and have decided to do the 'slow ease' into my lifestyle change.

First up is the food - a healthy breakfast and packed lunches every day, along with a gradual reduction in my sugar consumption (chocolate is the biggie for me!). At my first weigh in, I was 13 stone 10 lb (192lb), and my goal weight is 9 stone 6lb/134lb (60 lb weight loss goal). I'm 5'5", with a 31.5 BMI. I'm also a total novice when it comes to exercise, so I've decided to gradually introduce a variety of activities over the next month or so. So far, I'm booked in on a free pilates taster session, a free gym day with a personal trainer, and a set of 12 weeks' worth of healthy eating/exercise support sessions (courtesy of the NHS weight loss program in my area). The NHS program is hopefully going to be the local support I really need to stay motivated in the early days, but it doesn't start until next month, annoyingly! However, I hope that MVP, and having a place like this thread, will keep me pushing through alongside this. I've already lost 6lb, so am feeling great so far!

My plans are to walk a couple of miles after work most weekdays, as I want to find cheap (free!) ways of keeping fit until my first payday at the end of this month! I do have worries that I won't be able to upgrade to running because of my bad, clicky knees, and really want to find other low cost, effective exercise options. Working out at home might be problematic, because of disturbing my elderly parents, as I moved in permanently a few months ago - has anyone got ideas for low cost working out?
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm checking in here at age 41, 5'11.5" and 186#, with an ultimate goal of 150#. I was sidelined with an injury last year after completing my first full marathon, and that (coupled with a change in medications, two young foster children, and a newly developed sweet tooth) helped me gain an extra 30#, a lack of motivation, and a belly.

We recently (okay, maybe not so recently!) joined the YMCA, and I'm looking to use that to help get my act together. They have a great children's program, so my goal is to go there after work with the girls, and make use of the treadmill and classes. My ultimate goal is get back to running - I have a 5k scheduled for mid-July, and am registered for several half marathons beginning in September. I figured I need some serious motivation, and I'm a bling-junkie, so that should do it!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks!
  • larrodarro
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nb100uk wrote: »

My plans are to walk a couple of miles after work most weekdays, as I want to find cheap (free!) ways of keeping fit until my first payday at the end of this month! I do have worries that I won't be able to upgrade to running because of my bad, clicky knees, and really want to find other low cost, effective exercise options. Working out at home might be problematic, because of disturbing my elderly parents, as I moved in permanently a few months ago - has anyone got ideas for low cost working out?

nb/uk, welcome, and thanks for gracing us with your first post. You needn't worry about not running. With my wore out feet and knees I never run unless I'm being chased by a bear. And even then it's according to how big the bear is. Walking is always a good place to start. Set-ups and push-ups are something that just a little bit will go a long way. Or jumping rope with an imaginary rope. {I found I don't trip near as much if I don't use the real rope}

But as thousands of folks have said before, and no doubt thousands will say in the future, weight loss is 80% calorie reduction, 20% increased exercise. I found I could do more cardio as I lost more.

Good luck,

Larro

PS: we like it when you have an avatar. Even if it's just a puppy or something, it's better to look at than the top half of a snowman.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    fjrandol wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm checking in here at age 41, 5'11.5" and 186#, with an ultimate goal of 150#. I was sidelined with an injury last year after completing my first full marathon, and that (coupled with a change in medications, two young foster children, and a newly developed sweet tooth) helped me gain an extra 30#, a lack of motivation, and a belly.

We recently (okay, maybe not so recently!) joined the YMCA, and I'm looking to use that to help get my act together. They have a great children's program, so my goal is to go there after work with the girls, and make use of the treadmill and classes. My ultimate goal is get back to running - I have a 5k scheduled for mid-July, and am registered for several half marathons beginning in September. I figured I need some serious motivation, and I'm a bling-junkie, so that should do it!

Welcome. I can't help you with the running, as I left all that behind 15-20 years ago, but I have some experience with low calorie desserts. I like to use sugar free Jell-O, flavored Yoplait Lite, plain and vanilla Greek yogurts with Lite Cool Whip. Here is one I made a couple of night's ago. {Since I couldn't find sugar free blueberry Jell-O, and I had fresh blueberries I didn't want to waste, I used the regular one on this} It's 85 calories per 100g.

9sunzb7gqpmx.jpg
  • cathliz71
    cathliz71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 43 years old, mother of 2 daughters and getting married in just less than a year! Last March I was at my heaviest and decided enough was enough and made some big changes in my life. I quit drinking alcohol over a year ago and finally quit smoking in January. I have been working with a personal trainer since last Sept and I love it. I have followed the Paleo eating plan and for the most part it makes me feel the best. I try to eat clean most of the time, have very little in the way of processed food. I am thrilled with the transformation I have been able to make in the last year, but I am looking to continue to improve.

I am getting married May 2016 and want to look amazing on the beach and in my wedding dress! It is a destination wedding and I would like to be able to wear a bikini. I will be 45 by then. I would like to lose some more fat (probably about 10lbs but trying not to get caught up in the number on the scale) and continue to gain muscle and improve my appearance.

I have dabbled with MFP, but it is time to get serious. I have read through quite a few posts and bought a food scale at lunch today based on the advice of many members. I confess I have a self help book addiction and I am frequently buying Weight Loss books. I have read many posts that say throw the books away and track your calories. OK...I am ready.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Back to kettlebell after a week off. Used the 16 kilo for most exercises. Still having some issues with the inflamed ligament in my right collarbone/should area. At least now I know why I feel ik wirh over head presses but not some other things as its the ligament that attaches the pectora minor to the joint in the collarbone so it's chest moves that bother it.

Guess this is what you would call a bulking week? Eating at my estimated TDEE and working out and then back to a deficit next week.
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone. Glad to see there has been a lot going on since I was on last.

So I had my last weigh-in and measuring with the naturopathic doctor at work today, for this session. According to her records I have lost 16.4 lbs since January. Woot! Woot! I don't recall what my measurements were but they were much better than when I started. She's going to email my results to me so I have them to keep me going during the summer.

I've learned so much from her one definitely being that following the Paleo Diet, even loosely for me has been working big time. I know that processed foods and any type of MSG with all of it's many, many names it is hidden behind in foods is a killer for me.

You might have noticed that I said pounds lost before rather than the other word that is used. I've also learned for me that words have lots of power and that other word when I have used it always leaves the door open for the weight to come back with its friends. And well MSG and preservatives....the human body is not supposed to be preserved while it is alive. If anyone wants to mummify me after I die go for it.