40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Larro, you need to be using a tractor. That digging is not fun. The leaves are changing and falling around here, looks very pretty, but getting cold. The corn is all chopped and you can see way down the field now. My weight had gone up 2-3 lbs the last couple weeks. Haven't made the best choices eating out, and not exercising as much. Getting back to better choices this week and doing better. I hope everyone is having a good week.

I have been using the tractor and box-blade quite a bit. {not so much in time, but in dirt moved} I am to the point the ramp coming out of the hole is too steep for safety. I used the seat belt yesterday for the first time in my life. I have a dirt slip that I'm hoping will enable me to move a little more with the tractor. I still have to clean up around the edges where the box-blade wouldn't reach.

And to me, shoveling is fun. I love doing hard manual labor that is totally unnecessary.

This was what I did today. Along the west and north walls. 110 minutes of Can You Dig It?

1kvwxwluqnml.jpg
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    After 4 days of moving sorting and arranging we finally got my elderly father into the memory care facility near me today. He still wants to be back in the town 2 hours away but we have no family there and there is no such facility there either. So he's going to have to adapt. I hope I can muster the patience to deal with him.

At least we got him out from driving. And the facility will manage his medication now.
  • allenpriest
    Now I have to avoid stress eating and deal with him in a more positive way.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Back=Done!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hello everyone! I always get off track after I travel. Ugh!! Today is my hubbys birthday. Off work today. Workout done!! Gotta catch up with you guys!
  • angrydads
    angrydads Posts: 162 Member
    Good Morning ancient ones ..... Keep on track today... We can do this....
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Circuit training done yesterday! Didn't feel like it, but of course, was glad I did when it was done.

Welcome back Alf!

@larro - wow!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    sdereski, I'm hoping that red wave will bring some positive changes! Glad you got your workout in. I was the same yesterday, didn't want to go to kettlebell but I did and lifted heavy!!
    larro, you are one ambitious, slightly crazy guy. I had even digging to clear the garden!
    Allen, glad you are done moving your dad in. When I get impatient with my mom I remind myself that there will come a time where I will long to talk to her and she won't be here. I miss my dad and I think that brings it home that the time we have with the people we love is limited.
  • allenpriest
    3furballs
    Thanks for the thoughts. I wish the relationship between my father and I were more positive, but it isn't. I make sure he is cared for because he is old and sick and needs the help.
    It would be easier if I had a well of positive and pleasant memories to draw from, but I don't. He was emotionally distant, hyper critical, regularly verbally abusive and occasionally physically abusive. He had good traits to be sure but the damage in my life has taken years of work to overcome.

Scripture says to honor your father and mother. Sometimes you honor them by rising above what they were able to be and by treating them better than they deserve.

A large part of the man who called me names, told me I was a failure, hit me enough to draw blood at times, is dead -lost in the mists of gathering dementia.

When he is gone I will not mourn his passing or who he was. I will mourn what he could have been. I will mourn what I needed from him but never got and never can get. And I will mourn the scared kid inside him that lived in anxiety and fear and drove a man to do things that a well man would regret.

If you pray, pray for those of us whose scars you do not see. Pray for healing for the strength to relive the terror so that we can find release. And pray that we do that early enough in life that we break the family cycle and raise healthy kids.

My journey has lasted 20 years. 20 years so that I end the legacy that I know started at least as far back as four generations. A journey that started with the clarity to plant a stake in the ground and say that no matter what this ends here. My family tree will be different by the grace of God. Pray for those who need the clarity and the courage to say no more, no matter what they have to endure to make that a reality.
  • gam3rguy
    Bis & Tris are DONE!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Allen, I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with this pain and horror. No child should ever have to endure that. Parents are to be our rocks and guides, to teach and care, love and support and I'm so very sorry you did not have that. I'm proud to see that you have risen above and are breaking the cycle.

My dad was very distant and verbally abusive (mostly with my mom) and I largely blame his generation, he was just shy of 85 when he died and he had never been hugged by his mother growing up. That said, the last 15-20 years of his life he mellowed and we were able to relate as adults and I had the chance to see the dad he could have been in how he treated (and spoiled!) my kids. It was a gift I am very grateful for and is what I miss about him. I don't miss the dad I grew up with so much as I didn't know him, he worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week, a good provider, but not a dad. The man in the last couple of decades is the man I miss.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    Take care of you, allen....you are doing the best you can.

I think my parents have enough money to hire private nurses when their time comes....unsure. I won't be their nurse/caregiver. That much I know for sure. Not my job.

:)

Somehow, I got zero time to squish a workout in, today. I have to figure out when I can get a lifting session in tomorrow....maybe early afternoon?
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    @allenpriest - am so sorry to hear what you have had to endure growing up. I honestly believe that our generation grew up with parents that were suffering from PTSD. Mine, and most of my friends parents were veterans of WWII.
    When I started to realize that, so much of what I saw growing up made sense, not only in my family, but in many of my friends' families as well. At least you can say he taught you how NOT to be as a father. You can be the father you wanted and needed.

So, I got another run in yesterday. did 5.2 miles in 55 min. Not sure how I am going to do at my half marathon, but I will try and continue to get the remainder of the training runs in. I don't have much time. Oh well, it is, what it is. I'm just looking forward to hanging out with some of my old running camp friends!

Dance / lunch date with Esme tomorrow! My favourite part of the week. <3 Last week, on our way to dance, she says "Nonna, let's laugh all the way to dance!" <3<3

Hope your weekend is full of laughs cool kids. :)

• gam3rguy
    rest day today. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    I ended up going for an outdoor walk with a gf. Likely the last one for months and months (until spring). Missed my lifting, though.

Saturday = cardio.

Will lift 3- or 4- times next week.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited October 2015
    I camped last night, and am going back tonight. It was really nice. Lots of moonlight, owls and coyotes.

Need to run, so . . . .

Here are the numbers for the week: 19.6% Body Fat, 23.2 BMI & 166.1 Pounds. That is a loss of 2.6 pounds. I'll try to do better next week.

You guys have a good one,

Larro
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Allenpriest, my heart goes out to you! My husband went through the same upbringing with his father and doesn't want anything to do with him. I've tried to convince him to forgive him for his own sake but he doesn't want to. :( I was fortunate to have very loving parents. ((((((HUGS)))))))

It is raining cats, dogs and cows here in Texas!!!!!! Staying home all day. Already got a good workout done. Had planned to spend the day at Six Flags but that was obviously cancelled. I guess I'll be forced to clean the house since I'm stuck in here all day. LOL

Sdereski, I love to hear your stories with your granddaughter. I love spending time with my Nati. Did I mention she is doing synchronized swimming? She loves it!!!!

Have a great one!!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Insane Inflatable 5K"=Done!
    wde822sh6bki.png
    ke8h18cw422w.png
    2kbxtbhb4281.jpg
  • gam3rguy
    Back & Shoulders=DONE!
  • angrydads
    angrydads Posts: 162 Member
    Nice...cycle today for me... Body aches needed a days rest.