Thigh fat pockets.....or plain ole saddlebags....

So I have thunder thighs and have always had them.....I am very hourglass shaped. I have these fat pockets on my outer thighs that stick out.....yes, gross. Since my legs are the worst problem I realize they will be the last to go BUT is there any exercise that can be done to reduce this problem? I know you can't spot reduce certain areas but I am hoping someone else has/had this issue and knows something I don't to help it. Besides plastic surgery, of course! Most exercises focus on top and back of the leg which mine are fairly muscular there ( I was a dancer for 11 yrs as a kid.....probably did'nt help the large legs!) My problem is the outer and inners.........Looks like they don't belong on my body!

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Squats? I have those as well. I've noticed if my butt gets perkier they go away, so try things that work out your butt / upper thighs.
  • damore76
    damore76 Posts: 17 Member
    I am pretty sure that pilates works the outer and inner thighs. I love adding pilates to my workout routine about 3 times a week. It helps lengthen and tone your body.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Just overall fat loss. You still have a way to go until your goal weight. I promise you'll be much happier with your thighs when you get there. Like you said, you can't spot reduce.

That being said the best way to lose overall fat is a calorie deficit combined with exercise including a balance of cardio and heavy weight training. Don't be afraid to train your legs. Your won't be making them bigger. You'll be strengthening and preserving the muscles beneath the fat so that when the fat finally does come off you'll have great strong shapely legs. If you are new to weight training I'd suggest the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It stresses big, simple, compound movements.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Just overall fat loss. You still have a way to go until your goal weight. I promise you'll be much happier with your thighs when you get there. Like you said, you can't spot reduce.

That being said the best way to lose overall fat is a calorie deficit combined with exercise including a balance of cardio and heavy weight training. Don't be afraid to train your legs. Your won't be making them bigger. You'll be strengthening and preserving the muscles beneath the fat so that when the fat finally does come off you'll have great strong shapely legs. If you are new to weight training I'd suggest the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It stresses big, simple, compound movements.
    What she said. And you can´t lenghten and tome muscle because you can´t make your bones longer. Your muscles are there....so is the fat on top of it. Reduce the fat.....have a better deffinition. Non of that toning non sens
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Oh and let me add, if you go deep enough in your squats (and leg press too but New Rules doesn't include those), and maintain good form, they definitely hit your inner and outer thigh. No need to do those abductor or adductor machines. Trust me, my hips muscles are still sore from lifting Wednesday.
  • delineated
    delineated Posts: 24 Member

Overall fat loss.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Hills. Walking (running) up and down. Not sure how this happened, but my saddlebags decreased big time after going to college at a hilly campus. So much so that even though I am actually bigger than I was then, they didn't really return. (I still live in a hilly area, any walk home means walking uphill no matter which direction I go) My legs are actually almost the same size now as they were when I weighed 40 pounds less before college -- ~1 inch size difference. Oh and squats. And stretching or yoga. All of these have made huge differences in my legs. Especially the "butterfly stretch." I have actually noticed a decrease in the size of my thighs by just doing inner thigh stretching. (1/2 inch after 6 weeks).

So those are my tips. You probably won't have "skinny" legs but you can definitely make a dent in the muscle tone level.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    I am pretty sure that pilates works the outer and inner thighs. I love adding pilates to my workout routine about 3 times a week. It helps lengthen and tone your body.

I hate my thighs too and have been doing pilates about 5x a week for the past 6 months. (on the reformer).
    I can kinda feel the muscles in the thighs changing shape - but really, i wasnt seeing anything monumental.
    I recently incorporated more cardio & some strength training... cause I feel like pilates gave me the muscle definition; but with all the fat on top, you cant see it. HAHAH>
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Thanks for the responses! I do usually do one day a week of Yoga Pilates but mostly cardio! Just wanna look decent in a pair of shorts!!!