Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• twenty9SF
    Options
    I'm SO glad I found this group. I've been researching about weight loss and all things point to eating more. So, it's really nice to find real stories and a support system now that I'm embarking on this plan...

After college I developed the worst eating habits ever. I never had to watch what I ate so I never did. I wouldn't eat until lunch and then just ate huge meals after that. This, of course, caught up to me (with age) and I started packing on the pounds. I started fad dieting (no carbs, low carbs, all fruit diets, isagenix, you name it). This only seemed to worsen the problem. I packed on another 20lbs going on and off diets. In the last 5 years I've only been able to lose and gain back the same 10lbs and ANY weight loss was VERY difficult for me, no matter what I did. Now that I just entered my 30s, I REALLY started to panic about this and incorporated fad diets + 1200 cal restrictions and (surprise), I just gained more weight. In the last 6 months alone I've gained another 10lbs just switching between diets (and binging out of frustration).

So, my question is, do you think I need a reset or is just upping my calories ok? My latest diets were no carbs and then dr. oz "3 day detox" (stupid, I know). I usually aim for 1200-1250 calories but after reading all this, I upped my calories to 1500 (little to no processed food) and I eat back exercise calories if it's more than 500. Oddly enough, in the 3 days I did nothing but drink fruit/vegetable smoothies I didn't lose an ounce. In the couple of days I've been eating 1500 calories of real food, I dropped 3lbs.

My stats are 31yrs old, 179lbs (as of today), 5'0 and moderate exercise a couple of times a week . Any advice would be great and thanks again for all your stories. I read most of them all day today! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad I found this group. I've been researching about weight loss and all things point to eating more. So, it's really nice to find real stories and a support system now that I'm embarking on this plan...

After college I developed the worst eating habits ever. I never had to watch what I ate so I never did. I wouldn't eat until lunch and then just ate huge meals after that. This, of course, caught up to me (with age) and I started packing on the pounds. I started fad dieting (no carbs, low carbs, all fruit diets, isagenix, you name it). This only seemed to worsen the problem. I packed on another 20lbs going on and off diets. In the last 5 years I've only been able to lose and gain back the same 10lbs and ANY weight loss was VERY difficult for me, no matter what I did. Now that I just entered my 30s, I REALLY started to panic about this and incorporated fad diets + 1200 cal restrictions and (surprise), I just gained more weight. In the last 6 months alone I've gained another 10lbs just switching between diets (and binging out of frustration).

So, my question is, do you think I need a reset or is just upping my calories ok? My latest diets were no carbs and then dr. oz "3 day detox" (stupid, I know). I usually aim for 1200-1250 calories but after reading all this, I upped my calories to 1500 (little to no processed food) and I eat back exercise calories if it's more than 500. Oddly enough, in the 3 days I did nothing but drink fruit/vegetable smoothies I didn't lose an ounce. In the couple of days I've been eating 1500 calories of real food, I dropped 3lbs.

My stats are 31yrs old, 179lbs (as of today), 5'0 and moderate exercise a couple of times a week . Any advice would be great and thanks again for all your stories. I read most of them all day today! :)

Yes, and during that reset do nothing but lifting.

You sound like you've constantly burned away muscle mass through these years, and you have rightfully a slower than needed or expected metabolism because of it.
    That would be why hard to lose and easier to gain, you have the metabolism of a much smaller person, besides it being suppressed probably.

You need to increase your LBM and hopefully your muscles mass by doing that lifting while eating at maintenance.

By end of reset, hopefully a better thought process regarding food, hopefully more LBM, hopefully increased metabolism that won't move so fast from stress.

You should also use the spreadsheet on my profile page, without the LBM expected for your age, weight, height, your TDEE is not as high as the Mifflin or Harris BMR would lead you to believe.
    And just flat out eating more than needed isn't going to magically cure it all.
  • twenty9SF
    Options

You sound like you've constantly burned away muscle mass through these years, and you have rightfully a slower than needed or expected metabolism because of it.
    That would be why hard to lose and easier to gain, you have the metabolism of a much smaller person, besides it being suppressed probably.

You need to increase your LBM and hopefully your muscles mass by doing that lifting while eating at maintenance.

By end of reset, hopefully a better thought process regarding food, hopefully more LBM, hopefully increased metabolism that won't move so fast from stress.

You should also use the spreadsheet on my profile page, without the LBM expected for your age, weight, height, your TDEE is not as high as the Mifflin or Harris BMR would lead you to believe.

Thanks so much for your advice! So cut out all cardio during the reset? And also, are there any indicators that it's time to cut, or is there a specific time frame for reset in general? Thanks again for answering. The thought of adding on even MORE weight is freaking me out, so I just wanna have all the information before I start!
  • heybales
    Options

Thanks so much for your advice! So cut out all cardio during the reset? And also, are there any indicators that it's time to cut, or is there a specific time frame for reset in general? Thanks again for answering. The thought of adding on even MORE weight is freaking me out, so I just wanna have all the information before I start!

Usually 4-8 weeks at TDEE, though you may take several weeks just moving up slowly.

By the end, should have no weight movement, in fact last 2 weeks add 250 daily, and that would be a mere 1 lb gain if really eating at TDEE. If it is, you confirmed TDEE and cut from that number.
    If fast water weight gain still, you are still under TDEE actually.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am also upping my calories from 1200 - 1600 to 1900.
    6ft2 tall with about 15 kilograms to go.
  • twenty9SF
    Options
    so, I'm a little over a week at 1550 calories, which is my BMR. I'm slowly trying to go up to TDEE but I found that in the last couple of days I've gained about 2lbs and just feel bloated and heavy overall. Is this normal? I expected to gain weight when I hit TDEE, but if I'm only eating at BMR, why would I be gaining weight now? Sorry, I'm just freaking out a bit and scared how much is gonna pack on when I add 200 more calories.

On another note, I never thought it would be this difficult to eat more! I find myself really struggling to eat at 1550 without eating junk.
  • heybales
    Options
    so, I'm a little over a week at 1550 calories, which is my BMR. I'm slowly trying to go up to TDEE but I found that in the last couple of days I've gained about 2lbs and just feel bloated and heavy overall. Is this normal? I expected to gain weight when I hit TDEE, but if I'm only eating at BMR, why would I be gaining weight now? Sorry, I'm just freaking out a bit and scared how much is gonna pack on when I add 200 more calories.

On another note, I never thought it would be this difficult to eat more! I find myself really struggling to eat at 1550 without eating junk.

Totally normal, means you were really living low constantly on glucose stores being depleted, you are starting to top them off now.

Glucose stores with water, and increases your LBM, which means your metabolism increases.

Would you rather have water weight or fat weight?

Most who comment on gaining weight eating at TDEE went straight there, if they had gone slow, would have gained it now too.

Some may be fat not lost, because if metabolism truly was low at prior eating level, you are eating in excess right now.

Hence the reason lifting is so beneficial - lifting with excess calories is how you build muscle. So now is the time for total lifting focus, no cardio except walking on recovery days. Of course that means your TDEE is different, but since still working your way up to it, you can switch back over to desired routine once you've been at TDEE for couple days.
  • allishaFaye
    allishaFaye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    h everyone I am just starting out on the em2wl I have been on mfp for over 2 years now and I have lost weight but I am at a stand still and I just need to kick right into gear. I walk almost daily as I have to walk to work. I am trying to eat good healthy foods but it sometimes becomes a challenge as I hate prepping for just myself. I've come along way as I used to have an addiction to stopping at fast its been quite a long time since I broke that habit over a year ago now! :) but I need more friends who are just starting out with this for encouragement and I need vets for support and telling me what I am doing wrong! please add me if you feel you can be of help : )
    good luck to all doing this lifestyle!
    allisha
  • mindeemoo25
    mindeemoo25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been punk'd by learning all of this! No wonder I couldn't lose weight for so long. No wonder I felt better after I "cheated"; I was eating what I should've been eating! I have been on a diet for years and I'm new to calorie counting...I did the infamous 1200 that mfp suggested and gained 2 lbs in a week. I read that sometimes increasing calories helped the weight drop off, so I increased my calories to 1500 per day and I felt amazing. I lost 2 lbs but then gained them back the following week. I've been eating 1500 calories for about 1.5 months and for the last 3 weeks I've been doing treadmill workouts and strength training. Usually I'd burn anywhere from 300-450 calories 4 days per week.

My BMR is 1389 and my TDEE is 1910. Based on what I'm reading, I plan on increasing to 1800 per day and then In week or 2 after that stabilizes to increase it to 1900. (Wanting to ease into it to not have so much bloating discomfort.) my question is is how long do I have to stay at 1800-1900 calories per day before I can back it down to 1500 so I can finally lose this weight? I'm 5'1" and 160.5 as of today, goal is 140. I've been losing inches and fitting better into my clothes already since increasing my calories so I'm hoping this trend continues.
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!

I aim to work out 5 days a week for around 45~60minutes of moderate level exercise. I have also been cutting back on junk food and making sure I was eating at a deficit weekly. Yet, despite all that, I did not lose any weight NOR inches. It was very frustrating and demotivating.

Then I came across this post and was inspired. After struggling to keep my calories at 1,200 cals net, I'm finally increasing it to 1,350~1,400 because I'm hungry all the time at 1200! I'm 5"1 and most websites estimate my TDEE to be around 1750~1850. I had been cutting 500 cals from that and working out at the same time so my net calories were sometimes below 1,000. So I'm going to try increasing my net calories to 1350~1400 and see how it goes!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Thanks for the really helpful info here and other pinned posts.

I did follow this lifestyle from June 2012 - July 2013 while I didn't lose lots of lbs I dropped a dress size and felt great. I had energy to run to go to bootcamp classes and whatever else life threw my way.

July last year I got injured in a 14m race and had to stop exercising as I want exercising without thinking I reduced what I are, add in a crazy renovation project at home (no kitchen as such for months) working away eating out in restaurants, buying lunch from the canteen meaning high cal meals but not always healthy and I put on around 1/2st. But I'm back to exercising and now have very little energy.

I posted a thread where I've received some great advice ie get those cals up and it made me remember that I can eat more and do this again.

I can't post often as we're not supposed to access internet from work but hey rules are I be broken so I apologise if I am not very active but just to add that I will keep abreast of the threads an hopefully be able to offer the same support to other members in the future.

Thank you all.
  • EszterNZ
    EszterNZ Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi everyone

I just discovered this eat more to weigh less method and I am super excited!
    I have lost 22kg/48lbs in 10 months, by sticking to a 1390cal intake and exercising, usually eating back some or all of my calories. With this my net intake would generally end up being around the 1100-1300 per day.

I workout 6 days a week, between 45-60mins per session and usually burning around 400-500 cals. In the past few months my weight loss has slowed down ALOT, and the past 3 weeks has stopped completely, so I started researching.

According to the scooby calculator my BMR is 1618 (28 yrs old, 162cm tall, 83.7kg)
    TDEE is 1942.
    If i set my activity level to sedentary (idea of this is that I add on my exercise burn afterwards, rather than working on an average)
    Based on this my cut is down to 1650 calories. (calorie reduction of 15%)
    If I set my activity to 1-3 hrs a week, TDEE is 2225 and cut 1891
    Moderate activity is TDEE 2508 and cut at 2132

Based on these numbers I can see why I stalled in the weightloss, with consistently eating under BMR! MFP is a great tool to start off the process, but I can see how it can actually become quite bad if you're trying to apply the same rule after a long time and when your body has changed!

So for the past week, I've re-set my food goals to a calorie limit of 1650. And I've been manually logging my exercise on top of that. If my HRM says I burnt 450, I deduct the number I would have already burned just by doing nothing (based on TDEE number worked out a per hour basis).

Hopefully this will work and I'm doing it right.
    I am excited!! Its weird eating more though.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi everyone

I just discovered this eat more to weigh less method and I am super excited!
    I have lost 22kg/48lbs in 10 months, by sticking to a 1390cal intake and exercising, usually eating back some or all of my calories. With this my net intake would generally end up being around the 1100-1300 per day.

I workout 6 days a week, between 45-60mins per session and usually burning around 400-500 cals. In the past few months my weight loss has slowed down ALOT, and the past 3 weeks has stopped completely, so I started researching.

According to the scooby calculator my BMR is 1618 (28 yrs old, 162cm tall, 83.7kg)
    TDEE is 1942.
    If i set my activity level to sedentary (idea of this is that I add on my exercise burn afterwards, rather than working on an average)
    Based on this my cut is down to 1650 calories. (calorie reduction of 15%)
    If I set my activity to 1-3 hrs a week, TDEE is 2225 and cut 1891
    Moderate activity is TDEE 2508 and cut at 2132

Based on these numbers I can see why I stalled in the weightloss, with consistently eating under BMR! MFP is a great tool to start off the process, but I can see how it can actually become quite bad if you're trying to apply the same rule after a long time and when your body has changed!

So for the past week, I've re-set my food goals to a calorie limit of 1650. And I've been manually logging my exercise on top of that. If my HRM says I burnt 450, I deduct the number I would have already burned just by doing nothing (based on TDEE number worked out a per hour basis).

Hopefully this will work and I'm doing it right.
    I am excited!! Its weird eating more though.

One additional point.

If your exercise was included in your TDEE - it would have had 15% knocked off of it being in there.

Since you've taken it out - after you remove the already accounted for calories, still knock off the 15%.

And if your weight loss slowed and stopped to what the numbers said should have been happening - you likely are not actually burning in exercise what is reported, even more so with the possible inflation.

Is this a Polar with stat for VO2max that you did the self-test for?

If not, you are likely fit enough at this point to be getting underestimated calorie burns, meaning bigger deficit than you think.
  • EszterNZ
    EszterNZ Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi Heybales, thanks for replying,
    my TDEE of 1942 is based on me putting my activity level at sedentary.. is that wrong?
    My HRM is a polar FT7..pretty basic. So not sure what the VO2 thing you mention is.

For example this morning I did a step aerobic class, and I burned around 540 calories according to HRM, I deducted 80 calories as it was a 1hr class, as 1942 TDEE divided by 24hrs, is 80 calories per hour. So got my actual class burn to be about the 460 mark. Is that right?

I have then set my Daily calories goal based on reducing calorie intake by 15% to 1650.
    So today for e.g. I will be eating 1650. Plus the 460 I burned in my 1hr step class. (based on sedentary setting)

Is that right?

Or would it be smarter for me to set my activity level to moderate exercise (3-5hr per week).. and just not log my actual HRM calorie burn?
    This would make my TDEE 2508 and daily goal by reducing 15% to 2132.

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi Heybales, thanks for replying,
    my TDEE of 1942 is based on me putting my activity level at sedentary.. is that wrong?
    My HRM is a polar FT7..pretty basic. So not sure what the VO2 thing you mention is.

For example this morning I did a step aerobic class, and I burned around 540 calories according to HRM, I deducted 80 calories as it was a 1hr class, as 1942 TDEE divided by 24hrs, is 80 calories per hour. So got my actual class burn to be about the 460 mark. Is that right?

I have then set my Daily calories goal based on reducing calorie intake by 15% to 1650.
    So today for e.g. I will be eating 1650. Plus the 460 I burned in my 1hr step class. (based on sedentary setting)

Is that right?

Or would it be smarter for me to set my activity level to moderate exercise (3-5hr per week).. and just not log my actual HRM calorie burn?
    This would make my TDEE 2508 and daily goal by reducing 15% to 2132.

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it.

Close, but missing some deficit.

Sedentary is right if that is indeed your 45 hr desk job/commute. If you work 40 hrs at day care chasing around kids, not a chance sedentary. You get the idea.

That is a basic HRM without that stat of VO2max - which is the main way of calculating calories burned from HR. It means your ability to transport oxygen, which is used to burn fuel aerobically. If not fit, heart must beat faster to get enough oxygen and you breath faster. If fit, heart can go slower and you don't breath as much. And that's keeping the intensity, or pace, the same.
    Since it doesn't have that stat, it bases it on your BMI, and gender and age. If that's a bad BMI for gender and age, then you are given a low VO2max to use in the math. If good BMI, then higher value.
    But that's a bad assumption, because in 1 month you can improve your VO2max while weight hasn't moved much, so the HRM would be under-estimating calories burned.

If you ever have time for treadmill warmup prior to intended workout, try this to get an idea.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

That potential inaccuracy, and mis-use of HRM for calorie burn in weight lifting, which many do in this group like to do as workout, is why they just go for full TDEE method, then it doesn't matter what the individual burn is, it's all averaged out anyway.

So back to your example.
    Reported burn 540.
    Minus what was expected to be burned anyway. 540 - 80 = 460.
    Minus the 15% deficit. 460 x 0.85 = 391 to eat back.

Because normally exercise would be in the TDEE level of calories, and the % knocked off.

(sedentary + exercise) x 0.85 = (sedentary x 0.85) + ( exercise x 0.85)

Also, if you want to follow the MFP style, you might as well get the auto adjust for weight lost automatically.
    Set MFP activity level to sedentary, weight loss goal to maintain. Exercise goals to whatever. Save.
    Then go to Goals to manually setup, and there in Net eating goal is your sedentary TDEE.
    Take it times 0.85 and change the value. Change the macros. Save.

Now log exercise calories as shown above and eat those back.

When you lose enough weight to matter, MFP will ask if you want to adjust your goals, you say yes, and that's your reminder to then immediately go into the Goals and manually do your sedentary TDEE shown x 0.85 and change it.

That's also the reminder to go change your stats on your HRM for better accuracy.

If your workout is even semi-regular, more often than not - usually learning how to eat the same amount daily does help, so using the straight TDEE Deficit method works better.
    But if you do that method and add an extra workout not account for in your 3-5 hrs, then you log and eat it back with same math shown above.
    If you miss a planned workout - you skip 100 calories that day per hr. If you make it up, you eat 100 more.

What can happen with your intended method, unless you know you won't do it, is you log your workout, but then your goal is high enough you can't get it in. And you keep doing that day after day of working out.
    So you've just caused the deficit to not be reasonable now.
    Also being able to plan things better isn't there. Maybe you did eat all day correct for the workout you were planning on doing, then emergency and no workout, and you only 100 calories left for dinner, but you thought you'd get about 500 left. Now what?

But maybe that won't be a problem for you.
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm 3 weeks in to eating TDEE-20%. Before this I had lost 34 lbs on WW in the first 9 months, but then it stopped, and no matter what I did, I couldn't not lose one more pound. I upped my workout days, measured and weighed everything, played with eating more of my weekly points, less of my weekly points, eating ONLY my daily points, etc. Nothing worked. Within the year that I was on a plateau, I went off "plan" for 10 days in April when we went to Disney, and gained 5 lbs. After coming back, I could NOT take that 5 lbs off so it stayed. Then months and months went by with me trying to start losing weight again with WW, and nothing. So holiday season came around and I said F it and didn't track for 2 weeks. I gained 5 lbs. Needless to say, that never came off either.

So I started MFP and figured out how many cals I was eating within my WW points....it was about 1400. I researched more and found EM2WL and it made a lot of sense. Especially on why I couldn't lose one more pound on WW which worked so well for me for a year! Anyhoo, for 3 weeks now I have been eating at TDEE-20%, about 1800-1900 cals/ day. I also incorporated 2 days of heavy lifting each week to my regular workout schedule. I was hoping to be one of those lucky people that started eating more cals and viola! start losing again, but nope, of course that would be too easy. I have, overall, gained 3 lbs since starting this. I did read this whole thread so i KNEW what to expect but I'm still very frustrated. I'm now the heaviest i have been in the past 2 years and it's scary. I'm afraid I'm going to gain back every pound I lost. But I'm going to hang in there and hope and pray that I start losing again. I'm a big girl.....so this isn't about inches or not looking at the scale. I have a good amount of weight to lose so success is on the scale for me.

Anyhoo, this got really long, sorry! But any encouragement/ advice you could give me would be great. Thank you all!
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm 3 weeks in to eating TDEE-20%. Before this I had lost 34 lbs on WW in the first 9 months, but then it stopped, and no matter what I did, I couldn't not lose one more pound. I upped my workout days, measured and weighed everything, played with eating more of my weekly points, less of my weekly points, eating ONLY my daily points, etc. Nothing worked. Within the year that I was on a plateau, I went off "plan" for 10 days in April when we went to Disney, and gained 5 lbs. After coming back, I could NOT take that 5 lbs off so it stayed. Then months and months went by with me trying to start losing weight again with WW, and nothing. So holiday season came around and I said F it and didn't track for 2 weeks. I gained 5 lbs. Needless to say, that never came off either.

So I started MFP and figured out how many cals I was eating within my WW points....it was about 1400. I researched more and found EM2WL and it made a lot of sense. Especially on why I couldn't lose one more pound on WW which worked so well for me for a year! Anyhoo, for 3 weeks now I have been eating at TDEE-20%, about 1800-1900 cals/ day. I also incorporated 2 days of heavy lifting each week to my regular workout schedule. I was hoping to be one of those lucky people that started eating more cals and viola! start losing again, but nope, of course that would be too easy. I have, overall, gained 3 lbs since starting this. I did read this whole thread so i KNEW what to expect but I'm still very frustrated. I'm now the heaviest i have been in the past 2 years and it's scary. I'm afraid I'm going to gain back every pound I lost. But I'm going to hang in there and hope and pray that I start losing again. I'm a big girl.....so this isn't about inches or not looking at the scale. I have a good amount of weight to lose so success is on the scale for me.

Anyhoo, this got really long, sorry! But any encouragement/ advice you could give me would be great. Thank you all!

Eating in total 1400 calories and exercise taking some of those off the top for purely mechanical movement - how much you figure you were leaving your body for everything else?
    Or was it 1400 calories, and then more when you exercised? Again, how much in total then you reckon?

So 3-4 lbs is about the water weight gained when glycogen stores with water are finally put back. Same big weight loss everyone gets going on a diet. You likely had more since bigger deficit.

Did you base TDEE level on Katch BMR using a bodyfat estimate?
    Because I'm sure you burned off decent amount of muscle mass during that diet time, and non-Katch BMR and TDEE levels are probably inflated for you right now, well for a long time anyway, if not based on Katch BMR.

And it sounds like no reset to unstress the body by moving slowly up to eating at potential TDEE level? Why not?

Now, that ain't your TDEE level of course right now, yours is suppressed, hence anything over that is excess, but at least while lifting it can be used.
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    On WW I was eating 1400-1500 cals...not eating back my exercise cals at all.

I haven't done by BF % yet, but will be getting it measured on Monday at my gym. Then I will do the Katch calculation.

I figured my TDEE was inflated because I was eating under my BMR for 2 years which is why I'm not eating at my TDEE, I'm eating 100 cals under TDEE-20%. This is the lowest TDEE I found of the 3 sites I checked, which is what I chose just to be as conservative as possible. I'm hoping to have a better idea of my real TDEE on Monday once I get my BF% measured.

Right now, this is what the most conservative calculation tells me:

BMR: 1682
    TDEE: 2386
    TDEE-20%: 1908
  • heybales
    Options
    Might try the spreadsheet on my profile page - stay on Simple Setup and Progress tab only.

Get your measurements down if not already, other stats you know. Think about your weekly planned routine.

When you get that BF%, it'll probably be using the handheld or scale BF type, not that trustworthy, throw it in to the BF calculator to average in with the measurement method.

You are right, with 1400-1500 total with exercise, your system is not what the non-BF calcs will tell you.

And reset very needed, unless you are genetically gifted for fast body response to improve. Which also could mean fast response to tighten up when threatened.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So you think if someone has a high body fat % they should use the Katch to calculate their TDEE or BMR?

According to scooby calculator my BMR= 1786, TDEE is 2143 and TDEE-20%= 1714 (which is lower than my BMR

Then the Katch says it's BMR= 1487, TDEE= 1784 and TDEE 20%= 1427.

My background is I've done WW for a while but I also eat fruits to keep my calories around 1800.
    I also worked at a pharmacy for a couple of weeks where I was burning around 3000 calories if I went to the gym after work. I would eat between 1800-2000 calories per day. Then I stopped working and kept eating that many calories. I have now gained 7lbs in the last 4 weeks. Should I just start eating at my TDEE for another few weeks for a metabolic reset?

Also I don't know which TDEE to follow