What do you count as carbs?

Hello! I am currently trying to follow a low carb lifestyle plan, keeping my net carbs under 75g per day. I know if you peek at my diary, I have good days and bad days, so please don't judge.

My question is about fruits and veggies that have a high carb content (bananas, oranges, corn, ect). If you are following a low carb diet, do you count the carbs/sugar in fruits and veggies?

Any help, suggestions, and advice is appreciated!

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    From the low carb diets I've looked into, any carbs count. I know Keto cuts out a lot of high carb fruits/veggies.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Count all of them, but subtract fiber.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    In my opinion...I say COUNT IT ALL. <~~carbs wise, minus fiber and sugar alcohols. If you are going to eat fruit, eat it in the morning. That way your body can burn it off. I also suggest to stay away from the higher carb veggies, like carrots or corn. If you log everything you eat then you will be able to see what it is that maybe preventing loss on the scale. I'm always here for you Kimberly! Keep up your awesome hard work and dedication. One day at a time and you'll be where you want to be! This I promise as long as you want it and work for it!
  • toniwoni
    toniwoni Posts: 1
    I would eat half of a bannana and orang and less corn. You must count all carbs. The diabetic people shoot for 45grams a meal. I lost 10 pounds in one month that way.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Carbs are carbs, it really doesn't make a difference if you "choose" to "count" them or not. Your body processes them regardless.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    There are "free" foods in carbs - primarily veggies. I just met with a dietitian today about this subject...

45 carbs per meal is the goal. I was borderline GD when I was pregnant, which puts me at a higher risk of developing diabetes later on, so I'm trying to get things under control NOW. Proactive v. reactive.

PS carbs are not bad (within the guidelines, of course...) carbs are in fact, brain food...

ETA - By a "meal" , I mean a well-rounded / balanced meal with food from each of the groups...not just a candy bar that happens to have 45 grams of carbs. =)

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Carbs are carbs, it really doesn't make a difference if you "choose" to "count" them or not. Your body processes them regardless.

^^^^ this!
  • b1ackcat
    b1ackcat Posts: 6
    PS carbs are not bad (within the guidelines, of course...) carbs are in fact, brain food...

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While I'll admit I have some bias as I've been doing keto for 6 weeks and have seen AMAZING results, from every bit of research I've looked at, there is literally NO reason that we HAVE to have carbs, and a myriad of reasons why we should avoid them. Yes, technically the brain requires some glucose, but that's only certain portions of the brain. The rest of the brain actually prefers fat as a fuel source.

For the part of the brain that does require glucose, you can get that from protein. There's literally no need for carbs. In the wild, our bodies didn't need them. They were harder to come by (as they were only available in fruits and some veggies), so our body learned to do with very little of them.
  • cmazdog
    cmazdog Posts: 6
    The book "17 day diet" has really helped me to lower my carb intake. It is a quick and easy read.
  • vaimia
    vaimia Posts: 7 Member
    I Count all my carbs but subtract the fiber.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member

That is correct, carbs are carbs.Why go so low carb? It's probably not for the best to cut fruit and vegetables out of your diet.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Not true re: carbs are carbs. Fiber really is subtracted from total carb counts. In some countries, fiber isn't even included as a carbohydrate to begin with because it isn't digested. There is no need to count fiber in your total carb count.

As for sugar alcohols, I say do what works for you. My rule of thumb is to do a 1:3 ratio of sugar alcohols (sorbiitol, erythitol, xylitol, etc.) (count one carb for every 3 grams of SA). As far as SA goes, though, that's an individual thing. If you don't eat it, obviously, you don't have to worry about it. Some sugar alcohols (used to sweeten baked goods, candies, drinks, etc.) will spike your blood glucose more than others. It's kind of an individual thing.

Hope this helps.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member

That is correct, carbs are carbs.Why go so low carb? It's probably not for the best to cut fruit and vegetables out of your diet.

Who says you cut fruits and veggies out of a low carb diet? Berries are fine (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) and other fruits later in weight loss. And most veggies, aside from potatoes and starchy tubers, are just fine.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    When you put your food in, wouldn't MFP calculate the carbs and everything else anyway? I would suggest checking the nutrition panel of all foods against MFP - some of the entries are not correct.

What about thinking about High GI and Low Gi foods - would that help? Low GI sustain and maintain blood glucose levels better. If you want to lower your carbs, I would avoid the starchy vegies like potatoes, corn, go for the watery ones like lettuce, tomato etc. This site has some good info -

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/carbohydrates_and_the_glycaemic_index

"The glycaemic index (GI) measures carbohydrates according to how quickly they are absorbed and raise the glucose level of the blood. A low GI diet may help weight loss and may also help energy levels for endurance sports."

Just have to be careful that you get all your nutrients in a balanced diet - a chocolate bar might have a certain amount of carbs, but that wouldn't be as good a choice as a plateful of vegies / fruit with the same carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While I'll admit I have some bias as I've been doing keto for 6 weeks and have seen AMAZING results, from every bit of research I've looked at, there is literally NO reason that we HAVE to have carbs, and a myriad of reasons why we should avoid them. Yes, technically the brain requires some glucose, but that's only certain portions of the brain. The rest of the brain actually prefers fat as a fuel source.

For the part of the brain that does require glucose, you can get that from protein. There's literally no need for carbs. In the wild, our bodies didn't need them. They were harder to come by (as they were only available in fruits and some veggies), so our body learned to do with very little of them.

No, the brain doesn't use fat for fuel. The brain is structurally composed of fat, that's the only way that the brain "uses" fat. Glucose is its energy source. And while yes, protein can be converted to glucose, carbs are much easier and more efficient to use. Not only that, but protein has dozens of other uses in the human body before glucose conversion.

Plus the body only converts enough protein into glucose to fuel the brain, it doesn't refill your glycogen stores, and glycogen is your muscles' main energy source for high intensity activity. Carbs again fill that need efficiently. As for whether we used to eat carbs or not, scientists estimate that early man ate roughly 45-50% carbs.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679

No, the brain doesn't use fat for fuel. The brain is structurally composed of fat, that's the only way that the brain "uses" fat. Glucose is its energy source. And while yes, protein can be converted to glucose, carbs are much easier and more efficient to use. Not only that, but protein has dozens of other uses in the human body before glucose conversion.

Plus the body only converts enough protein into glucose to fuel the brain, it doesn't refill your glycogen stores, and glycogen is your muscles' main energy source for high intensity activity. Carbs again fill that need efficiently. As for whether we used to eat carbs or not, scientists estimate that early man ate roughly 45-50% carbs.

The brain isn't fueled by fat direclty, but the brain can get 75% of its fuel requirements from ketones after about a 3 week adaptation period. Yeah carbs are more efficient and will provide optimal performance, but still unecessary for survival. I think the need for carbs by the average joe is highly exaggerated. There are too many folks who do just fine on ketogenic diets, and that includes exercising and sports. I eat probably 50g a day and run 7-8 miles a couple times a week and it doesn't bother me one bit.
  • Thank you so much for your feedback everyone. I have not done much research on Keto diets or GI, so I will be checking into all of the resources you have provided me with.

*** I completely understand that carbs are carbs no matter where they are coming from, but I have heard some discussions about not counting fruits and veggies because they are "healthier" I have been practicing by counting everything minus fiber. I don't know how to count sugar alcohols, so I haven't subtracted those***
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Count 'em all. Some veggies are so low in carbs that they're almost "free"-you can really just eat so much of them and not hit a significant amount of net carbs. Watch your tropical fruits-they are higher and sugar and have less fiber, ie: pineapple, mango, bananas. Also watch some of the veggies...corn is really high. 75g net is a pretty high net number to anyone questioning...OP could be getting anywhere from 10-40g of fiber! Also, count the sugar alcohols too. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Thank you so much for your feedback everyone. I have not done much research on Keto diets or GI, so I will be checking into all of the resources you have provided me with.

*** I completely understand that carbs are carbs no matter where they are coming from, but I have heard some discussions about not counting fruits and veggies because they are "healthier" I have been practicing by counting everything minus fiber. I don't know how to count sugar alcohols, so I haven't subtracted those***

There are some that are "free" foods - mostly veggies. Look up information on a diabetic diet and it will give you more information on what ones are included on that list, since obviously most diabetics have to monitor their carbs pretty closely.
  • You do count fruits as carbs (sugars) so when doing a low carb plan, you restrict fruits to just one meal a day (usually your first meal). So one apple as part of your breakfast would be enough fruits for the day. My coach says to stick to 'hard' fruits, as they have a decent glycemix rate and won't spike insulin as much. I continue to lose weight so I trust in him. Give it a try!