Workout after donating blood

Hey everyone! I donated blood this morning and while I'm not concerned about my water or calorie intake (I'll leave it all the same, I feel fine) but I'm wondering about what kind of workout to do after work. Should I take that relatively easy and maybe get on a stationary bike just to get some kind of calorie burn in? I know I shouldn't lift, but I'm thinking more along the lines of cardio. It's May 1, I was all about starting the month strong, but there was a blood drive at the school I teach in and decided to donate.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Take a rest day.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!! I felt FINE after I donated and ended up passing out in the car 45 minutes after I donated. TAKE IT EASY!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    If you must workout, a stationary bike sounds like a good idea, especially if you can use a recumbant. I would be careful. Just because you feel good now doesn't mean you won't be dizzy or light-headed while working out. If it were me, I'd just take the day off.
  • court617
    court617 Posts: 65
    NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!! I felt FINE after I donated and ended up passing out in the car 45 minutes after I donated. TAKE IT EASY!

What about 6-8 hours later? Should I still take it easy, or by that time it should be safe enough to work out, even just a little bit?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Rest up- trust me.
  • lizal76t
    lizal76t Posts: 13
    Definitely take a day to rest so you can get right on to that May goal tomorrow! My stepmother and I went to give blood once and even though she had plenty of iron and drank plenty of water she passed out after giving blood because she had gone for a mild jog earlier in the day (and she is pretty healthy). You don't have enough iron in you to workout and you may faint or at the least get dizzy and feel nautious. You might as well wait 1 day so you can put your full effort into it tomorrow :)
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Take a complete rest day!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    How about after dontating plasma? I'm considering doing that in the future.
  • morgansmom02
    After my incident, I couldn't work out for a week. Every time I tried, I was so dizzy. I would just rest if I were you. I have heard of people passing out many hours after donating. They even told me not to exercise after I donated. I was just in the car and passed out.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Write it off for today, trust me!

I once donated plasma and ended up in the hospital about 3 hours later and all I did was walk around Target. And then pass clean out in Target...
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    DO NOT DO THIS! I felt fine after I gave blood, the next morning I did a 5k mud run, pooped out about half way through (not normal for me) and then spent the latter half of the day puking my guts up.

When they say take it easy for 12-24hrs.. pay attention to it!

Edited to say - I just recently gave blood and 48hrs later I was fine doing CrossFit... just take a day off to replenish and rest and you should be good after that!
  • Dannib55
    Dannib55 Posts: 50
    I concur with others stating that you should take a rest day, drink pleanty of water and eat a well balanced dinner
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Regular blood donor here. I'd urge you to take a rest day. Strongly.

If you insist on working out, PLEASE consider taking it easy. Don't go cardio, just get a nice walk on the treadmill or take an easy lap on the walking path.

You're short on oxygen-carrying capacity right now, and you could easily overdo it - you'll feel fine right until you wake up in a heap behind the treadmill that just threw you off.

You're an adult, so you can decide - but please, just have a nice small iron-rich steak and a relaxing evening. You've saved someone's life, that's enough heroism for one day.
  • morgansmom02
    Don't get me started on plasma. NOT worth the $20 they pay you. For some people it is fine, but again for me, I got extremely ill. I have donated blood a bunch of times before, but when I donated plasma, I thought I was going to die. Then just recently I donated the blood and had the issue.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Definitely take a rest day!!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Yes take it easy. Giving blood is a 650 calorie burn anyways. Thats because the body has to work overtime to replace the blood you gave. It takes a couple of days for the complete burn but it happens. Check the Mayo Clinic site, there is a more complete explanation there.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    I agree with everyone else, take a rest day! Your blood carries oxygen so anything that gets your heart rate up may cause you to faint.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Take that rest day. I fainted just from running a vaccum the first time I gave blood. Learned that lesson real fast.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    You don't HAVE to take a complete rest day, but when you got to the gym and pass out, you'll get a nice relaxing ride in the back of an ambulance, and then 2-3 hours resting in the emergency room waiting to be seen/discharged!

So wither way, you'll get some down time! :noway:

In all seriousness, take the rest day- better safe than sorry!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    a stationary bike sounds like a good idea, especially if you can use a recumbant.

^^^^^^ This. A recumbent bike means if you pass out, you're already in a safe sitting position.