Technique: Hard-boiled egg whites

Brunner26_2
Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
I just thought I'd share this. I recently learned this method to make hard-boiled egg whites. I use it to make egg salad without the yolks. You just put some liquid egg whites into a measuring cup and boil the cup. Make sure you use a measuring cup that can handle it, like pyrex. Cover and boil about 15 minutes or so until the whites are hard. Easy!

1zyy6ph.jpg
1zcg575.jpg
2di3evp.jpg

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    I just hard boil eggs and remove the yolk. Call me crazy.

But, to be fair, there is only one brand of seperated egg white in the UK, and it's expensive as hell.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    I just hard boil eggs and remove the yolk. Call me crazy.

But, to be fair, there is only one brand of seperated egg white in the UK, and it's expensive as hell.

I'd probably do the same thing then. They're not very expensive here in the US and I don't like wasting the yolks.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    It's pretty handy!
    Just make sure you wash or soak the cup ASAP!
  • Thanks for sharing this!
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Nifty idea! thank you!
  • I just hard boil eggs and remove the yolk. Call me crazy.

I do this myself.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • I tried this method but the egg whites curdled
  • Do you spray the cup with oil spray to prevent the egg from sticking?
  • For those of you looking to create hard boiled eggs, two great ideas besides this one:
    1. Baking pan, cooking spray, egg white, bake 325 for 15 min. Cut up and use in your egg salad.
    2. Google search eggthingy on rockethub. It is awesome! You can make regular and also colorful flavored hard boiled eggs that look like hardboiled eggs but are just egg whites. They are due out in 2014 sometime...

www.rockethub.com/projects/34963-eggthingy-make-savory-hard-boiled-eggs-from-eggs-or-liquid-egg-whites
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    It's really best to just eat the whole egg. You are missing out on some good nutrition by not doing that.