Q: Can you freeze spaghetti squash?

Options
DaSavedSinner
DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
My wife and I finally tried spaghetti squash and about went insane on how awesome it was! Now the question, Is is ok to freeze it?
I am tried to make healthier option for her to take for work and thought this would be a great one, in fact i have already thought of alot of uses. But I would like to buy it in bulk from out local produce place and not sure if there is a good way to freeze it.

There are the ways i thought of but I want to see what people have tried.

Raw whole
Raw halved
Cooked halved
Cooked "noodled"
Cooked "noodled" with added sauce

I would prefer to have it plain so I could use anyway I see fit, I also considered trying to freeze it in a little water to help prevent drying out when reheating or freezer burn.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    Ok I cheated... I googled.... and this is what I found.

You can freeze the spaghetti squash in your freeze with some preparation. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Then you need to cook the spaghetti squash before you freeze it. You can cook the half of spaghetti squash in the microwave. Just put the spaghetti squash in the microwave a half of a spaghetti squash at a time and cook it for about eight to ten minutes. So that the spaghetti squash is cooked but it does not have to be cooked all the way. Then let the spaghetti squash cool off.

Once the spaghetti squash is cool you can spoon it out of the shell and put it in a freezer tight container. You can also leave the spaghetti squash in it's shell and freeze the whole half but it will take up more freezer space. Once you have your spaghetti squash in a freezer container you can put it in the freezer and it should be good for months.

You can also cook the spaghetti squash in a pot of water. Cook the spaghettis squash in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then pull it out of the water. You can let the spaghetti squash cool off and then put it into a freezer container and freeze it for later use.

Once the spaghetti squash is frozen it will last for months. When you are ready to use it pull it out of the freezer and take it out of the container. You can heat it up in a microwave or in a pan of water.

You can store spaghetti squash in the refrigerator in its whole form for a couple of months but it takes up a lot of refrigerator space. You can also store your spaghetti squash in a cool place for a month or two but if you forget about the spaghetti squash it can make a mushy mess where you have stored it.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yea, I cooked it in the microwave on a "pizza/bacon pan" (looks like a plate with a lip on one side and a grill on the other for the bacon) and added a lil water into the pan. Scoooed it out into a bowl w' lid and in the fridge til its cooled and I have a change to go buy some smaller size freezer bags, I am going to freeze them in 4 and 8 oz servings. Now I just gotta see if its cheaper at the store or the product stand...I may go up to the city to the farmer market....not sure yet.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Ok I cheated... I googled.... and this is what I found.

ahh, if only more people did this..
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Me and my dad grew spaghetti squash this year! I'm lovin it too! I just baked and de-noodled 6 of em Sunday night and froze them in quart size freezer bags so that I can take them out when I want to use them, defrost and go! Those 6 made about 9 quart size bags, and I still have about 10 more to bake! Good thing I have a chest freezer!
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! At my local farmers market I can get them for $1! And I usually just buy one at a time, but I'll be stocking up on Saturday and doing this! Thanks!
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I have many growing in my garden.
  • dsmith720
    dsmith720 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just bagged 1/2 cup portions (3.5 oz each) in the snack baggies for individual serving sizes. Freezing in this size baggie is easier on space! Since this is a "high" carb vegetable, I will use it once a week. May get another one just to have them on hand through the winter! I love spaghetti squash!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have just bagged 1/2 cup portions (3.5 oz each) in the snack baggies for individual serving sizes. Freezing in this size baggie is easier on space! Since this is a "high" carb vegetable, I will use it once a week. May get another one just to have them on hand through the winter! I love spaghetti squash!

??? High carb veggie... no it isn't. 100g's of spaghetti squash only has 7 carbs in which 2 are fiber and 3 are sugar. That is a very low carb veggie. I just tried spaghetti squash recently and just love it too. I just did google searches last week to see about freezing it and stopped at the farmers market yesterday morning (they didn't have any spaghetti squash, I was so bummed, I want to get some to cook and freeze and it cost too much in the regular stores to buy)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I freeze cooked spaghetti squash all the time. It reheats just fine!

I am having the hardest time finding them lately though! :grumble:
  • felinelover1
    Options
    I found a really easy way to cook it. But I find freezing it really changes the texture and taste.

Cooking....First I jab it several times around the squash with a sharp knife. Then I microwave on high about 3 minutes. This makes it soft enough to easily to cut in half (lengthwise). Then put the two halves, skin side up, flesh side down (don't remove seeds yet) on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake these at 375 for 30-40 minutes. You will know it is done by pressing on the skin. They will be pretty soft. Let cool. Then turn them over and remove the seeds. With a fork I scrape the squash off of the rind into strands. I put it in a bowl.

If you try to microwave it all the way there's a danger it will explode. I've had that happen. That's why I just partially soften it then bake it.

It is really good right after I cook it, but if I freeze it, then thaw it a week or two later, it is sitting in a LOT of water. The spaghetti strands become like thin threads because all the water came out of them. I have to dump it in a colander and press down to get all the water out. You really have to get the water out of it or you can't put sauce, or butter or any topping on it. There's so much water it will become like soup. Then once the water is drained off, the squash becomes tasteless and like a ball of thread. After this happened a couple of times I promised myself I would only buy one at a time but they were on sale again this week so I bought three. I know they stay pretty well in the fridge but I baked them all tonight. Now i have 6 halves all baked ready to be scooped out and frozen :ohwell:
  • Ddough5
    Ddough5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wonder IF you reheated it by putting it in hot boiling water and draining through a colander, if it would rehydrate and solve the issue?
  • clgrimes5
    clgrimes5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. I just froze some that I had leftover, so we will see next week. I just made spaghetti pizza with it. I added veggies and Almond pepper jack cheese that I found in the Vegan section of Sprouts Farmers Market. It's not done yet, but smells delicious, so I can't wait to try a piece. I found the recipe while looking up Paleo Recipes.
  • annarave
    annarave Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So - how was it @clgrimes5?
  • Wickel00
    Options
    I bake 3-4 squashes at a time. Once cool , I will de-seed and pull all squash out of shell. I will press thru cheese cloth to get alot of the water out , then place in freezer bag . I just pulled my first bag out that was frozen this way , heated in microwave and add sauce , perfect no water build up ! Now I'm going to try to make a couple of the pizza crusts , cook , and then freeze them . :)
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So lucky!!!! In Australia squash is only available in winter and it's a whopping $7.00 per kilo! So usually costs around $20 for two!!!
  • mariabrown1973
    mariabrown1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got my first spaghetti squash yesterday. I'm looking forward to making it for dinner tonight. I've been making two dinners pretty much. Dinners for Hubby and kids, and "healthier versions" of their dinner for me.

My husband and kids are skeptical, but im making spaghetti for dinner tonight. They're getting regular spaghetti noodles and I'm getting the squash.

I don't know if any of you have Sprouts Farmers Markets, but I got mine there for 99-cents a pound, I believe, and mine is 2-1/2lbs.
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just got my first spaghetti squash yesterday. I'm looking forward to making it for dinner tonight. I've been making two dinners pretty much. Dinners for Hubby and kids, and "healthier versions" of their dinner for me.

My husband and kids are skeptical, but im making spaghetti for dinner tonight. They're getting regular spaghetti noodles and I'm getting the squash.

I don't know if any of you have Sprouts Farmers Markets, but I got mine there for 99-cents a pound, I believe, and mine is 2-1/2lbs.
    did u like the taste? I made it be4 2 weeks and it was ugly and it ended up in the trash although I payed alot for it ...is there a goid recipe to like it again? I dont kind trying ut again as i am addicted to spaghetti...but it tasted faaaar away from spaghetti actually.