30 pounds lost, and 30 pound left to go...help.

Posted on the wrong topic, sorry*

This summer I've lost 30 pounds doing the things doctors recommend, like exercising and eating right.
I do classes like Zumba, toning, kickboxing ect.... and using the treadmill the days I don't have class.

I started roughly at the end of May taking babysteps to get where I am now.

Now that I've lost 30 it feels like the weight doesn't want to come off anymore,
like my body is saying '' you lost 30 that's it!''

I'm not the type of person who gives up and I know in time that it will come off but I want to loose at least 10
before school starts (september 6).

The beginning of the summer I weighed in at the scary 230
and 30 pounds was my goal
Now I weigh about 198 (still overweight) and want to be at the healthy range of 170
(16 years old)

I guess what I'm asking is why is my body not wanting to loose more?

Replies

• sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    This is a very interesting read and might help, I am posting this from a forum as it is very helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • jessiebbabii
    jessiebbabii Posts: 23 Member
    Really eye opening and helpful thank you! :D
  • ashleihighfill1
    ashleihighfill1 Posts: 1 Member
    I completely relate, I am now 29 and have had the battle of the weight loss since I was much younger than you. And I now am getting back in the game, because I realize I will be 30 next year and the older you get, the harder it is to lose. My thoughts are that this first stage in weight loss you lose the most. In a few weeks I am expecting to hit the same "wall" as I like to call it, that you are hitting now. I told myself not to get discouraged when I hit the wall like I normally do, my plan will be to add more time to my workout sessions, and make them a bit more intense, because the first stage is the easiest, your body then becomes conditioned to what you have been doing. You have to shake it up, try new things, and either and more time or more intensity or both. Currently I am doing between 60 to 120 minutes per day. Split into a morning session and an evening session. While this week has been more like 30 min in the morning and 30 at night, I am pushing myself harder to get that heart rate up there and adding challenges. I weigh in after Month 1 on Sept. 1st. At that time I will add a requirement to myself that I MUST do 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening no matter what, and that it must be high-intensity. No slacking. You are young and you shouldn't do more than the doctor recommends. This I hope will work for me, and has in the past. This is the most important weight loss transition for me, because I have made an additional commitment of using no weight loss pills, gimmicks, caffeine, etc. I wanted this to not be a temporary weight loss. I currently weighed in at 183 lbs on 8/10. I only weigh once per month as to not let the scale play tricks with me. I encourage you to do the same. My goal is to weigh 143 lbs by 1/6/13. That is 8 lbs per month I want to lose. But if I don't meet my goal, I won't quit, and neither should you. Good luck to you, hope some of this advice was helpful to you!
  • Sounds like it's time to start venturing into weight lifting.

ETA: Also, you've lost 30 lbs. You probably need to reevaluate your daily goals, macros, etc. Your body isn't the same and has different needs from what it was 30 lbs ago.
  • jessiebbabii
    Yes, so very helpful!!! Thank you and good luck to your journey as well!! :D
  • jessiebbabii
    I just edited my daily goals a couple days ago!
    I'll try some weight lifting then, thanks!
  • Go to settings, and update your diet/fitness profile. Even if nothing in there has changed hit accept. It will tell you what your new calorie goal is. You should be doing this every 10 pounds you lose. The more you lose, the less your body naturally consumes, and the more you have to cut back. My first goal was 1800cal/day. Now after I've lost 35 pounds it's only 1500cal/day.
  • jessiebbabii
    Alright will do, thank you!!
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    This is a very interesting read and might help, I am posting this from a forum as it is very helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

Thanks for posting this. I really needed it today. I started out strong and am down 28lbs. YAY GO ME but the last few weeks the scales have been moving at a rusty screech and my drive is taking a beating! It isn't just about looking better, it's about feeling better and being healthy but seeing the weight loss and looking better sure are great motivators to keep going. It is especially hard as my husband is so close to his goal and I still have soooo far to go. Another 45lbs :frown: Right now I feel as though I must be doing something wrong. Am I leaving too big of a deficit? Not enough of a deficit? I am struggling to just keep going but I will because I am nothing if not stubborn :happy:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Don't forget to look for NSV's - non scale victories like clothes fitting better, etc. Sometimes there really is activity going on, it just doesn't change the number on the scale.
  • jessiebbabii
    You're so right on this! Thank you!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    This is the point where you switch from the scale to body fat and nutrition and lifting - toning down your amount of cardio in exchange for circuit strength training, body weight exercises and heavy lifting :)
  • jessiebbabii
    Now does this burn fat? I don't want to look like ''built'' you know?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Now does this burn fat? I don't want to look like ''built'' you know?

nope thats not what it does. It shrinks your fat cells so your natural shape can emerge. I promise. I lift 125 pounds, do I look built? lol
  • drmichellefennick
    drmichellefennick Posts: 5 Member
    Please add me