Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend! It's lovely weather here so we went to a nearby street festival. I had some amazing bruschetta bread which I believe was quite healthy in terms of ingredients.

Sunday Share: My name is Michelle, I'm 41 and I'm a teacher. I have 2 more weeks before getting back to school for the fall, and I'm getting nervous! This will be my 16th year teaching, but for some reason it doesn't get any less stressful for me. Wish me luck as I finish my last minute preparations and planning!!

- Michelle
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    @Skinnyjeanzbo
    @naceto
    @monarchriss
    @regojess (You'll get there! One day at a time is all we can do!)

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

@karenleana gratz on the progress

And to those of use feeling discouraged today, remember the changes that we are trying to make wont happen overnight. Losing weight isnt a sprint, its a marathon....slow and steady will get us there. And if we falter, or stray its all about correcting the mistake and doing better the next day and the day after that. Change takes time, but we are building good healthy habits. So try not to be tooo hard on yourselves :)

Sharing Sunday
    At my largest I was too heavy to be weighed on a regular scale anymore...they would have too take me around back and use the wheelchair scale. Lowest day in my life was when I went to the doctor and they couldn't weigh me on that anymore. (That put me at OVER 450 iirc) Super Morbidly obese...I was so disgusted with myself....and completely ashamed.

I couldn't walk for log periods or distance, I couldn't stand for long periods, I had to use those motorized carts when I shopped for groceries. On top of that I had to lug around an o2 tank....I felt like a complete freak of nature. And avoided leaving the house at all. I ended up ordering my groceries online just to avoid the ordeal.

The turning point for me was losing my baby aunt to a heart attack. (Baby aunt because she was just 6 years older than me when she passed away.) And she was a tiny little thing, in perfect health I thought. I remember thinking that should be me, not her. I don't take care of myself at all, I don't even try anymore.

So I started watching what I ate and trying to walk. At first just a tiny sad little circuit around my home, (at that time even a trip to the bathroom was a struggle) but I was moving. Then from my front door to the stop sign and back (less than half a block). Then from one end of the block to the other. Every week I did a little more. And while Im far from being in shape now. Things have changed a great deal for me. No more o2.. Stamina enough to walk, to stand...heck I can even use my stair climber now.

:) The last time I went to see my Doctor, she greeted me with "Hello Skinny". Made my year!
  • monarchris
    Sorry didn't realized I messed up, just wanted to respond to cia_clayton, my goal is to get off the O2...I HATE being tethered!!! When I go out I feel like every one is staring at the O2 instead of at me. I am so happy to hear you got off it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Christine

PS its hard to type with while holding a pom who thinks its time fot her walk!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    I've been MIA the last week....I know that in light of others situations, mine is relatively minor....except it's my life and my world and ...

I could feel the melt down coming....it's been coming for a while....my only hope was to reign in my emotions enough to express myself without hysterics. I rejected the idea that I was an emotional eater until this spring when stepson/girlfriend/baby move in (supposedly only for a couple of weeks....we're approaching 5 months) and I gained 20 pounds.

Friday was the last day at work for my right hand gal...and now, after experiencing major layoffs the last year, I am left alone in our office. Between the two of us - we were busy from the moment we walked in the door until we left - now it's just me. I did finally get permission to replace her but the job has not even posted yet and with our company it could take a month minimum to get someone in here. So that was the last straw. Driving home I thought to myself for the first time - What can I possibly eat that will make me feel better? Oh - I've eaten mindlessly during stressful times but have never really and truly verbalized it like this. That was my rock bottom!

The melt down came last night but fortunately I was able to talk to my hustband and tell him that I didn't want him to go into fix-it, defense or offense - just listen. So between sobs I poured out how I feel like my life has just spun out of control. Spiritually, physically, financially...and now work - were all out of control and now every place that I have sought solace were unapproachable. Church does not bring peace when you are harboring anger and resentment and bitterness about people who totally disrepect you while living in your house...which also makes home not the place you want to be since you will find that no matter how many times you tell these people to pick up after themselves they do not seem to be capable of it.

So we go to church this morning and our pastors' sermon is about 'Running the Race of Life'. And although it bugs me that everything always has to start with the same letter - his four main points were this:
    1 - Desire; What is it that you want most out of life?
    2 - Directioin; What is the focus of my life?
    3 - Discipline; Am I willing to pay the price?
    4 - Determination; What is holding me back?
    Then we get home and I am surfing through youtube and watch a clip from a comedienne that I enjoy and at the end she sings What a Friend We Have in Jesus and there is a line in the song that says 'o what peace we often forfeit, o what needless pain be bear all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer'.

With all of that said - I am ready to face tomorrow. My desire is to be at a healthy weight and at the end of my journey to share and inspire others. I am willing to pay the price...the price of losing a little sleep (or really time that I am laying in bed wising I could go back to sleep) and get up and exercise. The fear of failure that has been holding me back will not define me.

Sorry so long....just had to let it out.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Saturday Success:
    Mine happened very early Sat. as I was driving home from my Friday night out with friends. I was really hungry and saw a McD's on the horizon. I thought "maybe I'll stop and get something" then I remembered a bowl of quinoa w/ cheese sauce and asparagus sitting in the fridge at home. I decided to skip McD's and jumped on the highway to avoid further fast-food temptations. That quinoa was so good when I got home.

wow, that's great. i still don't have a ton of will power when i crave fast food. it doesn't happen very often but i just try to go with what has the least calories. like grilled chicken.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    @Jana- YOU are fantabulous for using such amazingalicious words! :happy: EXCELLENT on the hourglass shape too! You have earned it for sure! (also LOVE the analogy about eating an elephant! So true!)

@Sara- Thanks for the tip on the yogurt! I will look for it.

@Laurie- Ziplining??? You are such an adventurer and it inspires me every time you write about things like rock climbing and ziplining! Thank you for sharing your awesomeness! :happy:

@Lin- YAY for the weight loss!!!!

@Skinnyjeanz- Terrific NSV, passing by the McD's!!!!

@Christine- Does your pom think he's your child? My sister's pom believes he is my nephew... Okayyyyy well, perhaps I have given him good reason... They are darn cute dogs, with fabulous personalities! I have never met a Pomeranian I didn't like!

Sunday share- I am a 39 year old single mom of an amazing teen - aged person. I have battled with some mental and physical barriers to my weight loss for many years. I always told myself, "I will try again AFTER this is fixed... I will try again AFTER I recover from this other thing". Every time I would FINALLY start taking care of myself properly, something ELSE would happen! So I decided that "tomorrow" would no longer be my new beginning. Today. Right now. This moment will be my new beginning. I will no longer wait for my obstacles to be out of the way-- I will push right through them. Tomorrow may be too late, or it may never come... why would I want to take that chance?

OH- PS.. my hip is doing much better! I am still taking it slow... but was able to walk the beach and boardwalk yesterday, then the farmers market today (while carrying a giant bag of veggies). :bigsmile: This makes me very happy! :bigsmile:
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    @Shrinkrapt, Tungsten and Linder - my current fav smoothie obsession is some ice cubes, a banana, and dark chocolate almond milk! I've been adding oatmeal for extra fiber. And every time I go shopping I look at the protein powders. There are just so many and I am scared to buy a big thing and not like the taste. I almost bought a Target one yesterday. Glad to hear you like it! I'll have to get a vanilla and chocolate one to add to my smoothies.

So I found a second 5k to sign up for this fall. It's through my church. It for sure gives me extra motivation to hit the gym - even after a 12 hour day!

So a little about myself - I'm 31 single and have one fur-baby. She's an 9 year old cat that I've had for 3 years. I just started my intern year in a family medicine residency. I am also active with my church, teaching Sunday school 2 Sunday's a month to 1st graders. I felt like I had a lot more to say but I just went blank, so I guess I'll leave it at this for now! I'm hoping to make it to the gym MWF this week and bike and/or hike on Sat and Sunday.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @naceto & toots--Honestly, if it were a Taco Bell, I probably would have caved which is why I jumped on the highway--no chance of passing one. It also helped that I knew I had something delicious and quick waiting in the fridge!

@sweetp--sorry you are having such a rough time, but I'm glad you're husband was there to listen, and it sounds like you came through the meltdown with a plan to get through this a healthier and happier person. You said you won't let fear of failure hold you back--I think realizing that fear exists is monumental in getting past it. I remember having an epiphany about how much fear I had related to my weight--fear of people judging me, fear that if I told people I was trying to lose weight that would jinx my efforts, fear of working out in front of others, fear that I would eat too much/too little--ultimately, all related to my fear of failure. I decided not to be afraid anymore--I mean fit people aren't afraid of chocolate or ice cream, so how can I be healthy if I'm afraid of those foods?

That being said, I'm still afraid of Frosted Mini-wheats, but maybe it's time to face that fear...

@vidvox--I'm totally "jelly" of your 2 more weeks off! I start this Wed. and am so NOT ready!!

@robin--Chicago really is quite the festival town--seems like there's one for every neighborhood and every suburb. Plus, I live north of the city, so I'm only an hour from Milwaukee which has a wonderful 3 weeks of Summer Fest plus Irish Fest (I'm sure they have others I've not attended as well).

@rebecca--your story is truly inspiring! :flowerforyou:

@liz--so glad you decided to go to the Y on your own--it's very empowering to decide to work out alone!
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Sunday share: This is my first time posting on this thread. :-) I am a 43 year old single mom to a 20 yr old daughter. I teach 4th grade and absolutely love it! I have 3 purr-babies: Baby, Pookie, & Jack. I restarted with MFP at the end of May this year. When I started, I had over 170 pounds to lose. 32# down so far. :) It has been slow going, but the point is, it is GOING! :-)

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Tonya
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    jconstant- I started this weight loss journey at 40 and I am now 42, so congrats to you for starting before you turned 40. It has been a very positive experience for me.

Cia- Congrats on your successes to date. You have come a long way.

My zip lining adventure was put on hold today due to mother nature and her desire for rain. I should up at the place we were going to carpool and I am meet by three guys. 1- is a seminarian, 1 runs a Hobby shop and use to be seminarian and the other one- is the event organizer. It was a little intimidating to get into a car with these people I did not know. I did overcome by desire to bale and on the way the weather changed and it was starting to rain. Granted the still open the adventure park in the rain but none of us wanted to get soaked to the skin and we were worried about the extra risks. They close the grounds in the event of heavy rain and storms and both were in our forecast. We continued to drive and discussed alternative activities- I knew there was a rock climbing place in Rockville. We ended up going rock climbing in Columbia and the boys had a great time. It was their first time climbing and they did enjoy it. They got in a full body workout. It made me feel better when they tried the wall that I tried were not able to make it to the top either. This is the same wall where I banged up my knee two weeks ago. I tried it again today but still no luck- a little closer but just can't get over the ledge. I got my exercise from belaying the boys. I did the seminarian belay me at the end of the session and he did okay- he had previous experience but just could not remember how to tie the knots. At dinner they asked me how I became interested in rock climbing so I had to admit that I set it as one my goals in my weight loss journey and my desire has just grown from there.

We will go zip lining another day when mother nature cooperates.

Thanks for everyone encouragement on the zip lining.

Tomorrow is back to work for me. A fun day of meetings and more meetings plus doughnuts and bagels for breakfast. Needless to say I will eat breakfast but will still enjoy a doughnut. Another school year starts. This week is for teachers and the 27th the kids arrive.:cry: I know I should be happy but I am not ready for summer to end yet. It is to early to go back.

Have a great week everyone.:smile:
  • Annie219
    Annie219 Posts: 110
    I'm having a much better day today. I went for a 30 minute run this evening and for the first time in my life I ran just over 2 miles (approximately 2.2 miles). On top of the 30 minute run, I walked for 47 minutes. If you're adding it up that's 77 minutes of exercise today :bigsmile: I feel so great! Thanks for all the encouragement! You're all so wonderful!!

Annie:heart:
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Thank you for your support. I bet each of us has a family member, friend, etc. . . who has lost their battle to cancer. Any type of cancer. It's so important for each of us to take control of our own health. Get your physicals. We know our bodies better than anyone and need to be proactive. I'm off my soapbox now. LOL!!!

Sunday Share: I'm 43 years old and a single mom to an amazing 10-year old son. I recently moved from Atlanta to Las Vegas for an amazing job opportunity. I work for Caesars Entertainment in their corporate office. While I was a competitive cheerleader in H.S. and a lifeguard, I was always a big girl just super muscular. College was OK too, but after college is when the weight just kept creeping on and on. I've tried just about every weight plan and some numerous times. My son was just 2 when I left his dad. I've been so focused on making sure he's doing OK that I forgot about myself. I have to take control and make these changes for life. I'm only a few weeks into MFP, but with this site, this thread, new friends and my own desire I'm down 12 lbs so far. Woo Hoo!!!!!
  • monarchris
    SweetP: I am so glad you shared. You will win and you are an inspiration.

Christine
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    @shygur ~ Your story is truly inspiring. I looked at your pictures on your profile, and WOW! I can sure tell a difference! Your dedication is admirable!

@Robin ~ I am a 6th grade special education teacher in Kearney, Nebraska.
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    I forgot to post my share and success this weekend. :/

So I'll start with the Success: To be honest I've finally broken down and taken a day of rest. I think it was more than necessary between being sick the past couple of days and healing up lol. I don't know what I'll do tomorrow though. I'm hoping to take it a little easier and maybe just play with my dogs or something.

Sunday Share: I'm not too sure what to share here at the moment. I'm slowly trying to incorporate more water into my diet BUT... I keep forgetting to track it lol. My leg seems to be healing up slowly, but it still hurts when I extend my leg too much- I guess I'll just have to deal with it though. After all, if there was a GOOD place to get cut- that wouldn't be it.

Monday Check in: No lie, this weekend has been kinda rough. I didn't have such great meals over the weekend and I went over my sugar intake Saturday AND Sunday. By some miracle though, I've still lost a few fragments of an inch off of my waist and my bust. I am not quite sure how though- but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth lol.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Enjoyed reading everyone's shares yesterday! I promise to actually write something a bit more personal some week.

@Cia_Clayton Well done you for deciding to sort it out. It's the marathon nature of all this I'm struggling with. I like this group because there's lots of other people who are also in it for the long haul.

@lizmil79 -- I think it takes courage to go exercise on your own. That's why I do so much in my living room! I'm a bit annoyed with my husband at the moment because he has declared it 'too hot' to play badminton despite the rest of the family all wanting to play.

@naceto -- glad to hear you're walking again.

Monday check-in: l lost a pound; at the moment I'm gaining and losing the same pound over and over but I'm pretty sure the general trend is good.

Definitely getting back to cardio today. I feel so sluggy, and it's only been two days without exercise. Right now in fact.
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Monday Check In - So last week wasn't good and Saturday was a disaster food and drink wise...however it was interesting as I logged everythink I ate and drank on a day when I go to watch a rugby match and it was a slap in the face which made me realise how much I was consuming on these days (over 5500 calories).

One good thing from last week is a made it to the gym four times during the week, which is an improvement as it has been several weeks since I had been to the gym before that....so now is the time to go for today's work out at the gym.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    SweetP - don't apologize ever for sharing your feelings with us. What a story you told! My goodness, you have had the weight of the world on your shoulders. As I read through your statement, my heart went out to you. And yet despite your burdens, you have come to a very positive decision. Thanks for sharing. I do like the four points your minister brought up. I think we all have the first one, Desire, but the other three, Determination, Direction and Discipline are not so easy to come by without effort and a guiding hand.

Naceto - so happy to hear you are able to walk about so much more again. Glad that hip is healing well!

Sweetsong - welcome!

Laurie - it sounds like zip lining turned into the great adventure - meeting up with strangers then changiing plans and rock climbing then dinner..... now when you head off with strangers like that do you tell someone you know where you're going? (Just being a mom......stranger danger pops into my head here) I'm sure you do...........
    you are just about the most adventurous person I know. In RL, the most dangerous thing people I know do is smoke cigarettes! :laugh:

CathEsh - I've stopped in Kearney to see the Sandhills Cranes. Kearney sure does treat its visitors well! The hospitality was outstanding. :love:

Bohemian Coast - I've been meaning to ask about your picture - its a riot of color - is it a sea creature of some kind or what is it? Its driving me crazy! :blushing:

The weekend wasn't my best either. I overdid it on Margarita's on Saturday - but I sure had fun and tried to compensate on calories, but Sunday we went to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp. I avoided the butter-soaked type, but did end up a little over my calories for the day.
    Really great news - about the kindness of friends - my best bud loaned me the money for a new washing machine and we picked it out Sunday. He is about the greatest guy in the world. I've never had anyone treat me this way ever!
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Sunday Share (I know I'm late to the party) - I'm 44 and a mom to an amazing 15 year old daughter and stepmom to a 12 year old boy. My daughter is really athletic and in a lot of ways she's my motivation. I want to be able to go on a run with her and last through it. She runs about 2 miles a day and that's not including the running she does for field hockey.

Monday check-in. I'm down .8 pounds. Hey I"ll take it.

Yesterday, I started TurboFire and my husband was so funny trying to do it. I kept up with most of it, but I'm pretty uncoordinated so at times I thought I was going to hit him.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Monday check in - After finally making the scale move last week I went ahead and did an epic fail type weekend. Friday was the only day I really went over on calories but I made bad food choices all weekend. Break out the duct tape and strap that ice cream directly onto my *kitten*. Anyway, today is a new day and I'm going to kill it this week.

aug