Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yay, got the ticker to work, but do we have to do it for every post?

5642303.png
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I am hoping beyond hope that this new format disappears. It seems so---cold, unfriendly, and the font is too small for these aging eyes. Whine, whine. Also, it's no longer on my profile page. So marking my place with a "bump" doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, I leave for Baltimore tomorrow and my aunt's 90th birthday celebration. Just maybe I'll get to connect with Laurie. I won't check back in until Sunday. Warning: I intend to eat crabs every way possible except in a sauce.

October challenge to date: 7/8 days under goal calories of 1350, gym 6/8 days, 3lb. lost last week.

My recipe group met last night and everyone except me brought cute Halloween treats. I made the Starbucks knock-off pumpkin spice scones (I gave them all away), which were very yummy and may go in the revised cookbook with just a tiny change. As I had to taste every dish or risk offending the group, I exceeded my calorie goal by 200. Good thing I went to the gym. Oh well--everything tasted great.

Please, oh please, MFP, get this mess cleared up by the time I get back. I miss my Robin's Thread friends, Tom's "Days," and your updates.

Stay well and happy.

GrammyWhammy aka Marsha

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    I tried to get my ticker back, but I guess I didn't do it right. Darn.
    In reference to the 'no bread' and other treats, I have not labeled any foods as bad or forbidden. I eat anything I want. I eat smaller portions, and fit it into my calorie goals. Portion control has been my best tool. I really believe, as has been stated, that depriving yourself of things you really enjoy will ultimately lead to discouragement and failure.
    Good luck to the newbies as you figure out what works for you. Marsha, enjoy your trip.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • chulisGonzalez
    chulisGonzalez Posts: 56 Member
    @kah68 and @NK1112

Thank u girls for.the advice! It's something I can totally do starting tomorrow because today was a bust. The 5 bite thing is interesting, something I'd like to try. I love being able to.give and receive advice! <3o:)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Hi Guys!

Still trying to figure out this new systen. I don't like that I can no longer just right click the reply button to open in a new tab, so I can toggle between the my reply and the thread. The toggle (double arrow) button they've added only works on the page you're on. :(

Um, nope. That's not helpful at all. Guess I will have to just open MFP in two tabs to do personals. Not going to attempt it tonight as I just realized I missed a bunch of posts ealrier today, so had to catch up with reading.

Since posting pics is now supposed to be so much easier, I will attempt that:

Me in NYC:

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Me and laurie right before the race:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Me and susan in front of the Survivor Tree at the 9/11 site:
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    HAPPY THURSDAY!
    Woken up in a fairly good mood today. Got into the office earlier today so I can go for my swim at lunch, I actually am looking forward to it! Apart from the fact I forgot to shave my legs... but I figured if I kick fast enough no-one will notice.

@kah - Do you know what exactly is wrong with your Achilles? Because my left Achilles is really tight, to the point where i can't put my foot down flat going up or down stairs and after about half hour walking i'm in quite a lot of pain. Didn't know if I would have to go down the same route as yourself...

@FeraFilia - Congratulations on your loss! You must be so proud of yourself! and Happy Birthday for today! :flowerforyou:

@chulis - Have you tried having a 1 slice sandwich, like a open sandwich? Or toast 1 slice (or a small pitta) with toppings on. That way you can have your bread every now and then but it is only 1 slice. In England we have a 'small loaf' which basically means the slice is smaller and there is less of it, you could look for that where you are?

@Lauriek - Have you noticed that every year your smile gets bigger :wink:

@GrammyWhammy - Awww I love crab! I am very jealous of you right now! It is quite expensive over here in England so if I were in your position I would have as much as I could possible fit in, and then have a take away box. Have an extra mouthful for me! :smile:

Thursday Truth - Um... I don't really think I have anything to 'fess up' to. Possibly that I have been quite lazy this week, but I saw it as a test week. I have been wearing my fitbit every day at work to see on average how much I move. Turns out I walk about a mile a day, which I was quite surprised at considering I have a desk job. I suppose I could say that I should have gone swimming at some point before today.

October challenge: 8/9
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    edited October 2014
    I nearly reposted to tell you all how to get the ticker! Sorry... -- you go to this page and then copy the BBcode -- which you then, irritatingly, have to paste into every message because it doesn't go into signatures yet. I got that from this forum tips and tricks page which also has information on smilies :drinker:. The other thing you need to know is that you can "star" the discussions you're in in the top right hand corner to get back to them. No more bumps! Maybe. And I am loving seeing everyone's photos!

And the forum recognises @ references now -- like @BohemianCoast. So I guess I'll start using all your forum names again; it's not that I don't like your real names honest...

@chulisGonzalez -- Welcome! Well, isn't that the *cutest* baby? Well worth the 50 pounds I'd say. So if you log and check into the thread every day, there are lots of people here that will help you on the journey. And the good news is that as soon as you lose a few pounds, you'll find that you feel better and have loads more energy. Get your husband to help by not eating trigger foods around you, or just have a single bite. If I'm out for a meal with my family I often just have one bite of pudding, and I quite often give half my meal away to them! Portions are often too large; I find I'd rather eat 'just a little' of everything I want.
    @Hallsoa25 -- I often spend my weekends with friends, so it can be hard. One of the things I do is to keep reminding myself that I'm out with my friends because I *like my friends*, not because I want to eat and drink. Planning helps too, as does taking sandwiches for lunch rather than planning on grabbing something while you're out (though one of the nice things about London is that we have loads of chains for healthy lunches now). And I try to plan in walks or other healthy activity so we're not just sitting around larding up all the time. Good luck!
    @NK1112 -- Niki, we can be housework buddies -- I too am determined to do 30 minutes a day making things better. Though after I spent 3 hours Tuesday trying to sort the freezer out, I was deeply idle yesterday.
    @susan2396 -- Susan, I am in *awe* of how well you are doing in your boot camp. That's just fantastic!
    @Teresa_3266 -- Teresa, my Wednesday Wish today and every Wednesday is to find a pair of jeans that don't make me look like a beached whale. They're sharpening the harpoons as I speak.
    @naceto -- Nicole, it was entirely too easy to report a post under the old system, and now it's even easier. Oh dear!
    @jtconst -- Tammy, it's really good to hear from you -- it sounds like you've had a lot going on. Sorry to hear about your sil.
    @FeraFilia -- wahoo on the 50 pound loss you rock girl! Can't wait to see that ticker! Happy Birthday!
    @Lauriek70 -- Laurie, those photos really make your progress look amazing!
    @GrammyWhammy -- Marsha, please can you let us have your knock-off pumpkin spice scone recipe? I love Starbucks knock-off recipes cos their food is so expensive.
    @Lois_1989 -- Lois, I think gentle calf stretches are good for Achilles, right? I do them on the stairs. And you're in the UK? I thought I was the only one. And I agree that crab is very expensive here. Clams too, and I love clam chowder. When I worked in central London I did 7000 steps a day, walking too and from the tube and around the office.

Thursday truth -- I think I ate too much veg yesterday! I had a massive tummy ache later on. Oh dearie me. It could either have been pureeing the oatmeal in the smoothie, which didn't feel right as I was eating it, or eating great bowlfuls of sorrel soup at lunchtime; sorrel's fine but my plant has only been big enough to pick from for a few weeks so I ate more than usual.

October logging and counting -- 6/9 so far; I'm counting yesterday although I didn't complete my log because I retired hurt. Dinner tonight will be some form of Jamie Oliver's poached chicken though I don't have any fennel so I will have to substitute.

Hope your Thursday is brilliant!

-- Alison

14568673.png
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    @BohemianCoast - Argh I've tried everything. Doctor said it will take 6 weeks - 3 months to get better. I'm into my third month and it doesn't seem to be getting better. :disappointed: Yes, we do have a small collective on MFP, bit few and far between. I actually found MFP because I was on a packed train going home from London and I was wedged up against a girl who was logging her food on her phone, and I thought I would check it out. I'm originally from Wrotham, Kent (Where Pixie Geldof was) but I'm currently in Bromley, South London, aka Saaaf London :smiley: I've put on the pounds since I finished uni in London, I used to walk from Elephant and Castle to Aldgate 3 times a week.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    No one is comfortable with change, I’m sure it will take us a while to get used to this new format. :anguished:

@Lois_1989~I tore my Achilles (not a complete rupture) 10-12 years ago and was in a boot for 8 months while it healed, it just hasn’t been the same since then. As a result I have chronic Achilles tendonitis; sometimes it’s really painful—mostly because I do things I shouldn’t (i.e. running). :flushed: Sounds like you need to stretch your Achilles—using some stairs you can do some calf raises, you also roll up a towel and put around your toes then pull and hold (this puts a great stretch thru your calf). If you have access to a foam roller try rolling out your calves—there are great videos on You Tube for form. From experience and from what my orthopedist/chiropractor have told me the Achilles takes MONTHS to recover from injury/inflammation—there is little blood flow there so it takes longer to heal. It’s not unrealistic for it to take 6 months or more (i.e. said boot above). Right now my Achilles is extremely swollen, has been for 3 months—patience is not my strongest virtue. :grimacing:

@Karen (skinnyjeanz)~Yes, you have to add the ticker each time you post—for now. MFP is supposed to add it back. I’ve been toggling between Word and the thread for my posts and then do a cut/paste from Word. :anguished: Great pics of you, Laurie and Susan in NYC! :smiley:

@FeraFilia~Happy Birthday and congrats on hitting your 50# mark—time to celebrate (but not with food)! :wink:

@Marsha(GW)~Enjoy your trip! I love crab and I’m excited for the seafood festival when we are in port in Rhode Island on the 19th! :smile:

@chulisGonzalez~A WW leader told me one time you don’t taste a food after 3 bites—there is some truth to that, so I think a treat of something that is 3-5 bites is a perfect portion. I cruise fairly often and something I picked up on is their desserts are small—probably about 5 bites, only problem is it’s sometimes hard to choose just one! :flushed:

Thursday Truth~Cardio has just been absolutely abysmal the last few weeks, I’m still getting in every session with my trainer (some cardio involved) but between work, life and visits to the chiropractor cardio has suffered. This afternoon after work I have a phone interview—I’m hoping it doesn’t run too long so I can get to the gym.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Happy day to all.
    @ferafila - Congrats!!!!!

@Marsha - Crabs here in the midwest (USA) are very expensive, usually frozen and not always fresh. Have a bite for me as well.

I too miss the tickers. I am sure we will all acclimate soon. Reminds me of last spring when I switched from PC to Mac. Yowsa what a learning curve that was.

Tonight is the local "Taste Of" event. I love the tips about taking just a few bites. I am hoping to get through without going too far over calories. I will choose wisely so I do not feel cheated. And to that end I have carefully planned my food for the rest of the day. I will let you know how it goes.

Thursday truth - Weigh in this week was a disappointment. Only down 1/2 pound. I know I know I know that it is still a loss but after 2 to 3 pounds the each week for the last couple I was hoping to repeat.

I am doing everything I should, watching calories, watching protein and carbs, doing cardio as well as resistance. I even added in walks with a friend the last few days. But the scale today was a beast.

Thank you all for listening to my rants. I hope you all have great weekends.
    Lori B)
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Looking forward to walking for an hour today and staying on track for food. With my new food choices of high potassium and protein I have discovered that my sugar intake has gone way down which I think is good. Also the cascading fatigue has pretty much vanished between more potassium and halving my diuretic pill I take for high bp. Feeling so much better than I have since May.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Good morning everyone ... I see most of us are still struggling to get settled with the new format. I use a desktop computer, and cannot imagine how phone users can do it on your tiny screens.

@Bohemiancoast ... right on Alison, my sister and her daughter say that what I need to is just get off my butt and stop being so lazy. That's their form of familial love ... and I just laugh at them and give em a hug.

@Chulisgonzales ... I've tried the 5-bite rule and found it's about half of sandwich ... what I like is the lesson it instills that you can eat anything you want as long as you do so in moderation.

AFM ...
    Thursday Truth ... My sister wishes I'd shut up about my weight loss efforts and just do it quietly without talking about it. She has gotten the idea that when we talk about it we end up somehow sabbatoging ourselves and gain instead of losing. Hmm.. with the fluctuations I have in my efforts, maybe she's right and I should just keep mum and do it.

October Challege: 4/8

Have a good day everyone. I'm off to getting off my butt for the rest of the day.
    Niki

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited October 2014
    Good morning all.

October 9, 2014
    Happy National Depression Screening Day
    Join in the nationwide effort to reduce mental health stigma
    Our national screening days provide a great opportunity to check in with individuals about their mental health. Reducing stigma and creating social change begins with educational and awareness efforts. Let your community members know that their mental health is as important as their physical health.
    Reaching your community has never been easier.
    Doctors and mental health professionals are turning to screenings as a viable way to identify potential physical and mental health conditions. Just like a blood pressure screen helps to detect warning signs, a mental health screening provides a quick, anonymous, and effective way to recognize individuals who are at risk for treatable mental health disorders. Community organizations can choose to play a major role in shaping the overall health and wellness of its members by increasing access to knowledge and screenings. http://mentalhealthscreening.org/programs/community/ndsd.aspx

“It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.” ~James Thurber

Tom
    11857432.png
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    bump. I've been awol for a while. I suck.
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2014
    Have a GREAT Day :)
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    bump
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Okay. So I'm really confused. What happened to the page, and why don't I see my post on "my discussions?"
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    kah68 wrote: »
    @FeraFilia~Happy Birthday and congrats on hitting your 50# mark—time to celebrate (but not with food)! :wink:

Thanks! :D I'm not celebrating my weight loss with food. I'm doing that with a couple new sweaters.

I'm celebrating my birthday with food, though, and enjoying a funky little local pizza place with some friends. :wink: