Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Healthystarts ... welcome and stop by often.

Congratulations to everyone who came in well on their November goals and for those of us who were short of our goal ... onward and downward (as GrandmaKaye says).

AFM, Day 1 of December was a winner.
    Calorie goal ... 1/1
    December goal ... it's hard to report on the housecleaning goal because I haven't set a daily to-do on it. However, I did do some general housekeeping on Monday including cooking all my meals and doing the dishes, and a couple loads of laundry.

This house will be well cleaned, well organized, well maintained, uncluttered, and company ready by Christmas.
    Niki
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hi just checking in to try to get back on track. Gosh, why can't I stay focussed on this????

I had a rough month...I hurt my thumb and it was painful anytime my thumb flexed backwards or out. I went to the chiropractor thinking it was out of place...it was. When he fixed it he told me I wasn't going to like him for about a week and he was right! I wasn't able to lift weights, do a push up, pull up...anything. But after another adjustment, he's not sure that's the problem and had me schedule an appointment with a medical doctor. We'll see...I've requested an appointment on Monday.

I hosted Thanksgiving this year with my husband's family. I then did something very stupid and left town the weekend before. It was a wonderful trip to Minneapolis to surprise my sister for her 40th birthday and watch my cousin's singing group give a concert, but put me on too much work, too little sleep the week of Thanksgiving.

I did get back to logging my food yesterday (not pretty but truthful). I also made it to the gym and was able to lift. I got in 6 glasses of water. I guess I just need to do my baby steps.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I am behind again. Hope everyone had a good holiday with family and friends. Mine was an emotional one but hopefully being I was the bigger person something good will come out of it. I totally missed that I have a 10 page paper due by Saturday night and plus my normal assignments so homework is really on my mind this week.
    I would like some personal advice....My sister hasn't talked to me in 2 years over a little argument that I thought we had put behind us. I reached out to her on thanksgiving asking if we could put all past issues in the past and go back to being sister because I miss her. Her response was she misses me also but it is hard being around when everyone thinks your in the wrong and always to blame for everything. I know she feels like this towards our parents, so I said I was sorry if I made her feel that way but I like to get back to being family. She said she wants nothing to do with our parents but would like to get back to sisters just doesn't know how. I don't know how to respond to her because in my logical thinking head...you do that by talking things out and not pouting or holding grudges. Anyone have any advice for me???
  • NewCaddy
    Options
    @MNWalking...I think you start small and ignore the big conversations. Go to lunch. Have a day out shopping. Start by building up your relationship with small talk and just actually seeing each other. After you've rebuilt your relationship on that level, it will be "safe" to talk about bigger issues.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Holly~I agree with Tracy. Take it slow, just start by meeting for coffee or something—once you rebuild your relationship you’ll be able to work on other issues that may be lingering, but then at least you’ll be able to figure it out together. Be patient with each other though, it won't happen overnight--but you'll get there.

@Tracy~Oh, no—I’m so sorry about your thumb and can totally relate! :anguished: How did you injure your thumb? Did you hyperextend it? That’s what I did and ruptured the UCL, which I had surgically repaired in June—I really hope you didn’t do the same thing. :frowning:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I left out a huge piece of information on my sister situation. She lives in KY and I live in MN email or text is about the only way to communicate because she rarely talks on the phone.
  • NK1112
    Options
    @MNWalking ... is your relationship issue with your sister part of your weight problem? I know for some people feeling bad emotionally about something can lead to all sorts of issues including a more cavalier attitude toward diet.

As to your personal issue with her ... you've put forth your approach, let her make the next move. If she hasn't made it in a month, give her a short Christmas or New Year call to say hi but don't get into your issue with her ... just stay friendly and not pushy about it. You cannot make a relationship happen if both people aren't wanting it. She may need more time.
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Holly- I agree with the small steps but since you are in different states maybe you could try a comprise. For example- would she have a conversation with you on the phone while you both drink a cup of tea or coffee etc. That way you will have a set time limit to talk about the little things. Hope she can handle a 5 min. conversation on the phone once a week. Otherwise, you could write her a little about what has been happening in your life just keep it low key.

Kah-that is cool your gym is Lifetime, it is a beautiful gym. Last year, the closest LT gym to me only had 1 indoor triathlon but the year before they had 2. I am not sure what this year will hold in terms of numbers of indoor triathlon. It will be interesting in that they have combine with IRONMAN organization so I wonder how that will impact the event.

Tracy- hope your thumb is nothing serious.

I am still feeling tired so I hope to go to bed earlier tonight but doubt that will happen. Tomorrow, I will either go to the gym or the pool. I should go swimming but it will truly depend on how I feel. I have that swim meet on Saturday but I am totally undecided if I want to compete. At this point, I am tempted to skip it since I have not been swimming as much as I want to. I still need to figure out how to get in an extra day of swimming during the week so I can work on increasing my speed and endurance.

Thursday- 5K DONE
    Friday- Climbing DONE
    Saturday- Pool DONE
    Sunday- Gym DONE
    Monday -Trainer DONE
    Tuesday- Rest day DONE
    Wednesday- Gym or pool
    Thursday- gym
    Friday- Rest day or climbing depends on Saturday
    Saturday- swim meet or gym or rest day
    Sunday- gym or pool depends on Saturday.

The gym is easier since I can go right after work and the pool is packed until 8pm. I don't like swimming that late since it tends to make me hyper and I can't sleep.
    Goal- Find time to hit the pool 1 additional time this week.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It was a good day for meeting my goals today!

WATER: 34/496
    SALAD: 2/31
    EXERCISE: 2/31
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Just some quick personals from memory:

@holly--I agree with the advice to keep things light for now. Once you build up some regular interaction about your lives in the present, you can delve into issues from the past.

@tracy--oh, so sorry to hear about your thumb! Hope it's nothing serious.

@laurie--one of the reasons I never used the pool at my old gym is that the "open swim" times were really inconvenient. Plus, it seems like a more time-consuming form of exercise. Not sure if that's really the case or just my perception. Hope you manage to fit in more pool time.

@kaye--December is a new month and at least you managed to hold tight and not gain anything while you were injured.

@L2T--Yes, I'm well aware that not all teachers have the wonderful students I get to teach. Even in my school, I have colleagues who sometimes have an off year where they have very few gracious students. Even so, I bet most teachers have at least a few kids each year who make it worthwhile. I've found that the key is to make it mutual. As much as I might have to lecture my students when they are irresponsible, or show some "tough love" when they don't put forth effort, I also make sure they know how great they are. For example, these current essays I'm grading are the best all year. I actually gave them more time than usual to work on their final drafts, and the results are wonderful. I will let them know how much I appreciate that most of them really took advantage of that time by giving them more time again for this next essay.

Tuesday Goals:
    My goal today was to finish the second class of AP essays which I did. Plus, I even got a few of my 3rd class's finished. I need to finish 11 more tomorrow. Of course, I didn't make it to the gym today with all of the grading, but I'm not going to stress about it.

My grading list grew a bit, but I'm judging another speech competition on Friday and there will be a lot of down time between rounds, so I will have plenty of time to grade. :smile:

Tomorrow is our first bargaining meeting for our contract, so it will be a late night. Wish me luck!

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 2/2 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 0/2 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 44/66 AP essays
    2. 5/66 AP Journals
    3. x/50 SL vocab
    4. x/60 SL Tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--(short meeting) may do something--depends upon grading
    Wed--rest day (late meeting)
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi ya'll - so this is what happens when your internet service goes down - its been awful. Tomorrow morning I have to be on the phone crabbing away at them for no service for 2 days - :'( I would be more irked but I had no need to be a cyber-shopper yesterday. I'll do some personals tomorrow too. I need to get to bed. Lack of sleep is also getting to me.

My left leg has been bad for a long time, so today my Ortho Doc gave me an epidural shot near my herniated disc at L5 and he (I love this) ORDERED ME to rest tomorrow and then START TRACTION 3 times a week by simply holding onto a NOODLE IN THE POOL with my legs hanging down for 20 minutes at a time. !......

you know, old friends here, I have procrastinated about going to the condo pool forever, but now that I know what is right to do for my back problems I'm happy to do it. Every thing I tried before just hurt. This sounds glorious!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Robin, good luck with the traction. Maybe it will get you back to swimming, which I know you enjoy.
    Holly, I don't know what your issues are with your sister, but often it is better to just leave the past in the past. If you can establish a friendship now, maybe the past doesn't matter.
    I'm 2/2 on my goals. I'm still riding the pedaler but hope to be walking by the end of the week.
    I got my lists made, but have to add a little. My missionary granddaughter wants homemade candy. I'm going to have to start making candy this week. I'm not going to put up the Christmas tree until Nicole is out of school. When Keith was Anya's age, the whole tree got tipped over.
    So far it looks like everyone is doing well. Let's keep it up.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Flowerbaby2
    Flowerbaby2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this site and am so happy to find people that need to loose 100 lbs as I do,.Please add me to your thread and if someone could message me so I know I'm included I would appreciate it.It seems communications might be a challenge for this group at the moment.Would love to join.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Flowerbaby, as soon as you post, you are part of the group. These people are wonderful. Come back often, join our challenge if you wish, and post often. You'll get lots of encouragement here.
  • NK1112
    Options
    @Robins ... that therapy does sount wonderful. I'll be joining a gym in Janurary when the new insurance kicks in and definitely plan to ask if using the pool to 'noodle hang' is something I can do there.

@archanajoyce ...good for you for overcoming your pool fear and stepping in.

@Skinny ... hope you are taking care of that shoulder. My sis had complained of shoulder pain for years but never did anything about it and eventually was diagnosed with torn ligaments at the rotator cuff and was advised to have it surgically repaired but the timing was inconvenient so she let it go again. Then one day she went to lift a heavy pot and felt something give in her shoulder with a lot of pain. She went to the doc and found out that she is no longer a candidate for the ligament repair, she is now a candidate for complete shoulder replacement. Don't wait that long, your health comes first.

@Robins and @ Hansea ... don't we all just love it when those nauty critters find there way into our attics or cellars and then into the house! It is just amazing how tiny of a space they can squeeze through! One time, when I had dogs instead of cats, I saw a little mouse run up the garage cinder-block wall and disappear into the attic through a space where an electric cable came down through the ceiling to a light switch. There was no visible space around that cable and yet the mouse wiggled it's way through in about 3 seconds.

@Flowerbaby ... I sent you a message like you asked. Hope you and all the other 'newbies' find their way back here often. We all are in this together, and we all have our own way of working through it ... like GrandmaKaye says ... 'onward and downward'.

AFM ... I'm going through a period of naturally eating at less than my calorie goal for the month. Seems I have a hard time controlling my calorie intake, either eating more or not enough depending on ... who knows now ... maybe the stars passing in the sky? I have an idea it's because since I've never gotten into the habit of actually making a meal plan like is so often suggested ... you know, shop the ads and build your week's menu around it, then cook on the weekend and store the meals for the week ... or cook every day ... those meals that you planned. When I had a family of people around me I did have a plan for what I would cook every day for dinner and lunches were usually sandwiches and soup. But I struggle with cooking for 1 without having to eat the same food for many days on end. So I never know what I will eat at the end of the day when the morning comes. I do know what I will have for my first meal though ... my trusty ever-changing but always the same porridge.

So for me ... my Wednesday Wish is that I get organized enough so that I will make meal plans and follow through on them ... so that I can plan my nutritional intake better.

Challenge results through Tuesday, December 2nd ...
    at or under calorie goal 2/2
    This House goal ... did dishes, cooked a turkey, got some clutter cleared away in my home office.

On the 'books' for today ... get those garbage and recycle totes FULL with more stuff to get rid of from around the house for tomorows pickup and finish the laundry.

Hope you all have a very great day.
    Niki

• mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have time for just a quickie this morning, but wanted to report that on this weigh in day I was down 1#. I am always a little disappointed in simply one pound, but they do eventually add up. I may even be back on my ticker some time in December! Yay.

Goal for today: Finally finish the Christmas tree and put the boxes away. I have been running all week and this has just been sitting there. UGH! What a mess with tissue paper, plastic totes etc all over the dining room.

Welcome Newbies. Check in often. This is a great thread.

December Challenge:

Calories under goal: 1/31 Two days and I already blew it! Good grief!
    Salad a day: 3/31
    Exercise: 3x week for a total of 12 0

Barbara
    Mountmary84

PS. @ Niki I cook all our meals and with just two of us there are tons of leftovers. I wish I could share them with you.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Top of the morning to everyone.

Happy Special Kids Day
    Started in 1990, Special Kids Day began as a holiday event for children with special needs and their families to visit Santa Claus without obstacles.
    Today, Special Kids Day has evolved into a not-for-profit, 501(c)-(3) organization dedicated to providing celebratory events for children with disabilities and their families in environments designed to accommodate their special needs.
    http://specialkidsday.org/

“Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell.” ~Unknown

Tom
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Love the quote Tom! How true it is!
  • NK1112
    Options
    Love the quote Tom! How true it is!

This ... thanks Tom.
  • NewCaddy
    Options
    @Kelley…I don’t know what I did. I don’t remember an actual injury but it definitely hurts in certain positions. I have an appointment on Monday so hopefully I’ll get some answers.

@Karen…I know that grading is part of teaching, but oy! My mom was a teacher for many years in a tiny town (class sizes ranged from 5-11 kids). She runs into them now and then and we can always tell when it was one of her “favorites” because she always calls me and says “I ran into so and so and he was just always so respectful and he still called me Mrs. Saville and he’s 50 years old.” She always had kids in sports after school so she would stay and get her grading done while we were in practice. I very rarely remember seeing her with grading at home (she says it made for a long day but since she was there anyway it was a good way to get it done).

@Robin…hope this works for you!

@GrandmaKaye…we put our tree up on Friday (we celebrated Christmas with my DH’s family on Saturday). Our 4 month old puppy sniffs at it but hasn’t tried anything yet, but I make sure I’m right there whenever he’s in that room.

@Niki…have you tried some frozen meals? Maybe buy some paper/plastic plates and make up multiple dishes of whatever you make and then freeze them. Then instead of having to eat it multiple days in a row, you could pull them out of the freezer separate weeks. MountMary commented about sharing…is there a neighbor that you could do an exchange with? Maybe he or she makes 2-3 meals and you make 2-3 meals and then you could swap?

@MountMary…1# is great.

AFM…I think I finally caught up on sleep! Monday and Tuesday were relaxing days at home that I didn’t do much of anything other than the requirements. I did finish two books on my Kindle and got some sleep. Today starts back at my regular pace as we will be at church from 6-8 and then heading to the gym with my sister.

Monday - Lift DONE
    Tuesday - rest DONE
    Wednesday - Jenna workout
    Thursday - Lift
    Friday - Jenna workout
    Saturday - Lift
    Sunday - rest

To Do list
    • Go through leftovers from Thanksgiving and organize fridges
    • Rearrange ornaments on tree (the kids ended up with some breakables on the bottom -- they will get moved up tonight)