The 2 sides to MFP

Replies

• amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    u should show ur friend all these replies to help motivate him again :)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    They are a little shallow, but like with TV, when a show that comes on isn't to my liking, I change the channel. I don't ask my broadcast provider to change the options so I never have to see that they exist..

Using that same anaolgy, what if the TV program was a not just a piece of entertainment but a useful documentary put on to help teenagers with low self esteem, and for the first 5 minutes of the show you just got a load of good looking youngsters saying how important it was to be attractive

You COULD just change the channel, but what if you were then asked to provide feedback on the show

Wouldn't you just say that you didn't think it was a good idea that the first impression of the show was going to put off the very demograph you were trying to help?
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    It is fitness pal and sometimes even my Pals I am getting fit with and motivation gets tired of talking about how to get fit, lose weight, or anything related to it. This is why they have the chat section.

As ridiculous as it is sometimes it is to blow off steam, laugh, have fun, and just talk to other people with similar goals about whatever else. Without down time for even the topic itself with the same people you get can have less of a relationship sometimes with each other and some people need strong relationships (online relationships) to feel motivated. Just my opinion

Bolded section is so eloquently put I can't improve on it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ehbika
    ehbika Posts: 10 Member
    wtf is wrong with you OP??
    and others.

so if somebody came here went from fat to ripped they have to leave the page cose they are too good looking now?
    this is chit chat section it supposed to be for fun
    and yes, we are getting hotter in the process so we feel sexier so we want to rate and be rated
    what is wrong with that?

it's not myfatpal it's myfitnesspal for people who want to get fit and SURPRISE for people who are fit

Wow, harsh! Might be more helpful without the "wtf" to start out with. I think this was a discussion, not a place to use language like that and yell at others. I never read chit chat, I see it as a place for people to have what *I* speaking for myself, silly and superficial conversations. I don't like the term "hotter" or "sexier". I like "encouraged" and "healthy" so I stick to the other threads. This is a place to be positive and uplifting to all, not single people out.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    They are a little shallow, but like with TV, when a show that comes on isn't to my liking, I change the channel. I don't ask my broadcast provider to change the options so I never have to see that they exist..

Using that same anaolgy, what if the TV program was a not just a piece of entertainment but a useful documentary put on to help teenagers with low self esteem, and for the first 5 minutes of the show you just got a load of good looking youngsters saying how important it was to be attractive

You COULD just change the channel, but what if you were then asked to provide feedback on the show

Wouldn't you just say that you didn't think it was a good idea that the first impression of the show was going to put off the very demograph you were trying to help?

This implies that all the threads are 'the same show'

not exactly on point
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Wow, harsh! Might be more helpful without the "wtf" to start out with. I think this was a discussion, not a place to use language like that and yell at others. I never read chit chat, I see it as a place for people to have what *I* speaking for myself, silly and superficial conversations. I don't like the term "hotter" or "sexier". I like "encouraged" and "healthy" so I stick to the other threads. This is a place to be positive and uplifting to all, not single people out.

Agree. Agree, and ALSO agree! :smile:
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Is your friend new to the internet in general? Message boards specifically? It is difficult to find any forum where NONE of the posts or threads are shallow or uninteresting; add in that this is a body-focused site and it is amazing how little of that there is.

If what is in the Chit-Chat forum compared to the number of forums, groups, threads, and posts on the whole site is too much of a ratio for hum, it sounds like he is looking for excuses not to make a change.

I personally avoid the rating threads. It's no big deal, really; I just find them boring. They have nothing to do with my weight loss journey, so why would I let their existence stop it?
  • Wonderob

This implies that all the threads are 'the same show'

not exactly on point

The analogy still stands
    You're put off seeing something that could be really useful by the poor first impression
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    perhaps you have some kind of issues besides weight loss, i think those types of threads are kinda immature, something i would have liked when iwas 15 years old. but do they offend me? nope.

i just don't click on them. end of story. and if they make you feel any less about yourself, or lower your self esteem, perhaps you need to talk to someone. and i am not saying that to be mean or offend anyone, it just seems there is a deeper problem.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member

If you had to read the threads to get to what you want, yes, that would be an issue. If I went to watch a documentary about low self-esteem on DVD, and the DVD had options, including "Play Film," "Choose Scenes," and "Deleted Scenes," I wouldn't start by watching the bloopers in deleted scenes if I were more interested in the serious side of things at that moment. The thing is, "Recent forum posts" is a little box on a screen filled with much more useful information. Really, MFP's home page is a lot more like the TV Guide channel, where you can choose whatever you want but they have a random show playing up top. Ignore the blather and find what you want.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    So on my home page under recent forums there was only:

- My progress so far.....
    - In need of cheering up
    - Finished 30 day shred
    - Can't meet my fat requirements
    - Tired all the time

I chose not to click on any of them. Just like I choose not to type hotornot into my address bar on the top of the page. Weight loss / fitness is all about choices, and yet people seem to not understand it. Boggles my mind. :ohwell:

I'd rather get rid of the ads for Herbalife, Safeway and Gastric Bypass surgery.
  • MsFitn2012
    MsFitn2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Wow!! I see that too and i would think the moderator would delete them, they dont have anything to do with food, excercise, nutrtition or health!! Anyone will try to make something good, bad!! I NEVER even open or read it
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Also, I don't the majority of people do find the recent posts blurb with chit chat showing up as a poor first impression. The site is quite popular. A lot of people probably enjoy seeing a lighthearted side to this fitness site.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member

Women like to look at attractive men. So what? I'd be willing to bet that your friend has at some point in his life looked at a website or magazine that featured women wearing hardly any clothes without any other measure of their worth outside the fact that they look great in a bikini.

Yes I'm sure he has. He nor I are in any position to suggest this type of thing should not be allowed

Once again my point is this: If you went on an allergy forum looking for advice on helping combat allergies, and the first impression of the site was people discussing attractive men/women etc, then you would be put off - that's not to say it shouldn't be discussed in sections of the forum (off topic for example) just that if you clicked on recent posts to see what people on the forum were discussing, you would not stay - that's a shame don't you agree?

I guess I would have typed combating allergies or what have you in the search box.

maybe it could be set up better, but your friend could also have clicked a few more times and gotten to some other topics that were more up his alley.

oh! and what the heck is it with these adds for body wraps(:noway: ) and xendadrine fat burners(:sick: ) on here today....
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    People are here to improve themselves physically, and that includes losing weight, toning up, getting ripped, etc. This is a "fitness" site, so there will be an element of physical beauty, etc. I have my own focus and goals, but I don't mind others having a little fun. If others want to be judged and rated, that's fine with me.

I am here to improve my fitness, not for philosophical issues, LMAO.
  • Wonderob
    Is your friend new to the internet in general? Message boards specifically? It is difficult to find any forum where NONE of the posts or threads are shallow or uninteresting; add in that this is a body-focused site and it is amazing how little of that there is.

If what is in the Chit-Chat forum compared to the number of forums, groups, threads, and posts on the whole site is too much of a ratio for hum, it sounds like he is looking for excuses not to make a change.

I personally avoid the rating threads. It's no big deal, really; I just find them boring. They have nothing to do with my weight loss journey, so why would I let their existence stop it?

I think the main point is that the first impression of the site by going to recent posts is false. I manage to avoid these types of posts so have not had a problem with them. MFP is so much more than that so it's a shame that he didn't get the true picture of what its about as to him, it seemed just a huge celebration of the 'beautiful people'

Not a problem if you know that its just part of the site and fun and games, let your hair down, bit of a laugh - but more of an issue if that's all you see
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    There's a reason that MFP (and most message boards) are broken up into forums, so that you can direct yourself to the areas that you want to go for your max benefit.

I hardly ever go into the chit-chat section, not out of low self esteem, but because I was under the impression that it was more or less an area where people go to joke around and play. I agree with the OP in this respect, that section does have a bit of a high-schoolish feel to it, but I think that its generally harmless. However, I love the forums on fitness, diet and recipes. One good thing about this site, is that the material from the various forums hardly ever bleed into one another.

OP, its unfortunate that your friend evaluated MFP off of one forum, one that he is not likely to frequent anyway. But I say that its on him to spend a little more time on here looking at the various tools, the databases, the diary functions and other forums before he makes a knee-jerk assessment.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    ... seriously, I used this site for 9ish months before I posted a comment. I didn't really notice the forums -- you have to go LOOKING for the more PG-13 section and there is NO reason why that can't exist because everyone using this site is supposed to be 18.

Craigslist has a ton trash on it -- yet I found several legit jobs and apartments on it. Use the parts that work for you -- ignore those that don't apply to you. Simple as that.
  • Wonderob
    So on my home page under recent forums there was only:

- My progress so far.....
    - In need of cheering up
    - Finished 30 day shred
    - Can't meet my fat requirements
    - Tired all the time

I chose not to click on any of them. Just like I choose not to type hotornot into my address bar on the top of the page. Weight loss / fitness is all about choices, and yet people seem to not understand it. Boggles my mind. :ohwell:

I'd rather get rid of the ads for Herbalife, Safeway and Gastric Bypass surgery.

On the recent posts there were over half from Chit chat as there are now. So he clicked on chit chat

Not a good idea
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Yoovie, I think you're still missing the point.

Nobody is saying you CAN'T celebrate your success. People are saying threads that RATE how sexy and good looking people are is a bit discouraging NOT encouraging. We should all feel beautiful in all stages of our loss. Not JUST when we reach our goal. And a thread that only celebrates those who have ripped bodies and low weight numbers is NOT helpful.

Considering these types of threads happen often because people get butt *kitten* bored at work or whatever they're doing, they are in fact always in one section.

Motivation and support? Well gosh..that seems like the right forum to look for encouragement. And there you find some people complaining about fit people.

This is an endless loop of blah. And you can generally read a thread topic and figure out what kind of thread it may be. Not sure I'd ever see "Rate the person above you" and think "Oh this must be where I get motivation and inspiration".