The 2 sides to MFP

Replies

• Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    I have never looked at the chit chat section. My experience with this type of topic is that the info is useless and does not help anyone who is trying to get in shape and eat healthier. Just my own opinion. Maybe they should do away with this topic.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 584 Member
    Agreed, there are some posts on here that I don't think are suitable. I have introduced my sister and a friend to this and I cringe at the thought of them reading some of these posts >__<
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    So evidently he's not quite ready to begin his journey to a healtheir him. What about the topics on fitness - exercise - etc. We get out what we put in....
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    First, it's called Chit Chat for a reason. It's not supposed to be serious or motivating. It's a place where people can have fun and blow off steam. Nothing wrong with that, fitness and health doesn't have to be serious all the time.

Second, if he (or you) doesn't like the forums, then just don't click on them. Or just use the app, it's that simple.

Third, tell him to add some friends that are similar in age or weight loss needs. That's how I started. Then I found people who make me laugh, support me, and I have built an incredible friends list, a lot of whom are NEVER serious in their posts, but I know they are serious about health.

it's ok to have fun, I promise.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    On the internet, sometimes the voices of a few can seem like a thousand.
    Don't fall for it!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    eh, as long as it stays in the Chit Chat section, it doesn't bother me.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    I totally agree those threads are super stupid but that's why I don't click on them. You have to remember that there are a lot of teens on the site and lets face it when you're young all you think about is the opposite sex and how hot they may think you are. So I suppose let them have their fun, it doesn't hurt anyone.

Teens?! its the older ones you gotta watch out for!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Yeah, the site probably doesn't seem very motivational and fitness focused if you avoid the Motivation and Fitness sections. But I wouldn't blame MFP for that. I'd explain to your friend "if you go to the Fun & Games section there will probably be.. fun & games."

I'm here for any other reading comprehension problems people might be having.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    I am pretty sure they must all be of a certain age! i am 28 and would never dream of commenting on such a thread!! i only get involved in adult conversations - (not of the xxx nature!!!!)

Its not even worth looking at some of those stupid threads!

He can add me as a friend as i am not a mean girl!
    x

Sad part is, most of the people I see on there age range from mid-twenties to forties. It is not even just "teenagers" focusing on the opposite sex.

You really just have to pick and choose your threads. Some have misleading titles but I avoid the forums unless I think I can help someone or someone is offering tips for something I need help with. I've tried giving them up but it doesn't happen..I can find some good info.

If you or anyone needs normal, encouraging, non-objectifying support, feel free to add me. I know I can always use more myself :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I feel like that kind of thing exists all over the internet. Some people are superficial, and if they're happy it's none of my business to say if it's right or wrong of them. Sure, it sucks that those are trending topics when you have self-esteem issues, but let's face it, none of us are here for the forums.

If your friend decides to give it another go, tell him to send me an add - through my replies maybe he'll find some threads that are better suited to his interests :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    There are different sides to any collection of people, be it in real life or on the internet. I do an eye roll at a lot of the things I see posted on the threads here, but that does't stop me from using MFP or having fun, or supporting my friends (and getting support back).

You can't control what others post - don't take it personally.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    wtf is wrong with you OP??
    and others.

so if somebody came here went from fat to ripped they have to leave the page cose they are too good looking now?
    this is chit chat section it supposed to be for fun
    and yes, we are getting hotter in the process so we feel sexier so we want to rate and be rated
    what is wrong with that?

it's not myfatpal it's myfitnesspal for people who want to get fit and SURPRISE for people who are fit

I was waiting for someone to get all indignant. I think you're missing my point. Who said only fat people can go on MFP? Who said you can't be fit and go on here? Who said you can't have fun on the chit chat section?

Why do you think there is something wrong with me for pointing out the difference between the mentality of those on the main groups and those on the 'rate me' threads?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I agree that older folks are just as bad. I don't click on those sites either, seems stupid and infantile. I associate with things and people that are important to my success!
  • LisAllum
    LisAllum Posts: 55
    I'm sorry your friend ended up so demotivated by the comments of a few. I use the forums but have never even looked at the chitchat part myself. As one of the other posters said, try to encourage him back and show him all the POSITIVE posts from people who are serious about their health and wanting to lose weight. We all have bad days and the friends I have on here and the posts I see in some of the forums are lifesavers for me. It would be such a shame if he lost hope now after plucking up the courage to join.

I have lots of supportive friends on here who would love to share, support and encourage someone who feels they can't make it on their own. I would be happy to add him as a friend, should he come back, and I'm sure there are a lot of others here who feel the same.

I truly hope he does, and keep up the great work yourself! It's a long journey and it's great to have so many people along for the ride x
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    I totally agree those threads are super stupid but that's why I don't click on them. You have to remember that there are a lot of teens on the site and lets face it when you're young all you think about is the opposite sex and how hot they may think you are. So I suppose let them have their fun, it doesn't hurt anyone.

A lot of people posting in those threads are much older than 18.

I participate occasionally in those threads. But for the most part I think they are stupid. No one gives an honest answer and its the same people over and over again xD

There are a TON of hilarious posts in chit chat though :) It is called the chit chat forum for a reason

Tell him to stick to the health/fitness boards then.This is a great tool
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    wtf is wrong with you OP??
    and others.

so if somebody came here went from fat to ripped they have to leave the page cose they are too good looking now?
    this is chit chat section it supposed to be for fun
    and yes, we are getting hotter in the process so we feel sexier so we want to rate and be rated
    what is wrong with that?

it's not myfatpal it's myfitnesspal for people who want to get fit and SURPRISE for people who are fit

I was waiting for someone to get all indignant. I think you're missing my point. Who said only fat people can go on MFP? Who said you can't be fit and go on here? Who said you can't have fun on the chit chat section?

Why do you think there is something wrong with me for pointing out the difference between the mentality of those on the main groups and those on the 'rate me' threads?

oh so I'm free to post whatever I want but as long as you approve and it's within mentality defined by ... you
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    A few nights ago there was a thread asking for suggestions for new forum topics. Perhaps these topics can be grouped together into one group?. That way we can find them but they arent overwhelmingly and blatantly the identity of MFP.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Yeah, the site probably doesn't seem very motivational and fitness focused if you avoid the Motivation and Fitness sections. But I wouldn't blame MFP for that. I'd explain to your friend "if you go to the Fun & Games section there will probably be.. fun & games."

I'm here for any other reading comprehension problems people might be having.

See, Brett has nice guns and he visits the Chit Chat section all the time. Ergo, weight loss and fitness doesn't have to always be so serious.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    There are people here who either have a fake profile and pictures, and are not here to lose weight and treat MFP as a dating site.

When I see a guy with a muscular trimmed body and a lot of "friends" - it makes my wonder if its really him, or he really looks like me and is just collecting groupies.

You serious?? You have a computer generated avatar and you're calling people out for fake pics?

I have a muscular body that I earned using MFP. That's why I have no problem showing it here. The site works if you use it. If you wanna sit around and assume everyone in better shape than you is just lying.. well that's pathetic is what it is.