• traykaye
    traykaye Posts: 2
    Options
    I recently started the Jillian Michaels 30day shred
    And wasn't sure how to enter the calories burned,
    Into my fitness pal.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I just bought a heart rate monitor (watch) on ebay for $6.22 including shipping. No idea if it will work well or not but I thought I'd try it out.

Until it arrives, I'm estimating my calories burned at 200.
  • kasunic0602
    Options
    I'd rather under count my burned calories than over count it. That's just me. :)

AGREE
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I would love to hear more respiinses.
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, so it may sound dumb.:( but what's
    Hmr?

Heart rate monitor
  • leeann1973
    leeann1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found that when working out at the gym on a treadmill or eliptacal they both give an average of 9 to 11 cal burned per a minute. I wasn't sure how to calculate my calories for jullian micheals shred it with weights so I just did 10 cal per a minute * 30 = 300 cal but no I'am thinking maybe it's a few cal over. All though I had to struggle for some of the workout.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM,I burn on average 230 calories in the 25 minute video. This has been pretty consistent through all 3 levels, with level 2 being a bit higher at times.

Yes, intenisty is a huge issue. I was dog butt tired one night I did it and I know my intensity level was much lower, and it showed in my calories burned.

My stats are 5'8" and 170lbs.
  • LydJax
    LydJax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful! Thanks!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    There is a 30DayShred group that started Monday, there was a formula given (from Jillian Michaels) ... I worked it out and got a calculated burn of about 185 (I'm 5"6, 168 pounds). I've done it four times now, with a HRM, twice I got about that (183, 180) and twice I got a bit lower (143, 145) ... I really feel like I'm giving it my full intensity ... I feel like I'm coming in lower than everyone else though!

My Fitbit only credits me 138, but it's going off steps only, so that isn't surprising.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You still need to factor in intensity and your fitness level. According to the formula I would burn 346 calories in an hour, but usually I come closer to 450 (according to my HRM) if I'm exercising at peak intensity. I don't know if 30 day shred would be peak intensity, as I've only done it once and that was a while ago. As I exercise more and get into better shape, I find I'm burning fewer calories an hour even if I ratchet the intensity all the way up.

The HRM was totally worth $70.
  • Janeyrob1
    Janeyrob1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What a brilliant topic. I have just bought the 30 day shred and had no idea how to calculate my calories burned. A HRM is also out of my budget at the moment to im going to use the methods suggested in this topic to work out my calories.

Im also going to work out my calories using this method and compare them to what mfp says I burn in 30 mins on the treadmill.

Let you all know my findings later or tomorrow.

Again thanks for posting this topic. Very imformative :)
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    HRM is a Heart Rate Monitor...good on you for asking, I've been on MFP (MyFitnessPal) for almost 3 months now and can't figure out half of the abbrev. that come across these blogs either ;)
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM so use MFP's figures of 20 mins of circuit training (I don't count the warm up or cool down).

There is also a formula that I found in an old thread :-

30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/768863-30ds-heres-how-to-calculate-calories-burned
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    170/25 = 6.8
    6.8*50 = 340
    340/60 = 5.66667 calories per minute.

According to that formula, I would burn 170 calories in 30 minutes.
    According to my HRM, I burn 178 calories in 30 minutes.

So not too bad!

According to MFP, "Circuit Training" for 30 minutes burns 308 calories ¬_¬

Woah!

I think if you don't have a HRM, the formula works just as well! MFP is a gross overestimation!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that if you're taking your weight in pounds, dividing by 25, multiplying by 50, dividing by 60 and multiplying by 30, you end up with your weight in pounds again.

So therefore, the formula states that whatever your weight in pounds is, that's how many calories you burn in half an hour....

Correct me if I'm wrong!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine Polar, ft4 had me over 200 , 150 the first time,and I'm in the 160's, 5'6. I think the level one was higher than 2, but she did more weights in level 2. I'll do it again but I would be suspect if 20 minutes was much higher. I ran 2 miles and was not much over that and (the average per mile is 100 in calories) and I don't work out harder than that, just differently.

I think it's a great workout either way, if I'm too low or not, I lost weight and got firmer. I don't eat back my calories at this point so it's not that important to me yet.
  • 2kidsandatrip
    2kidsandatrip Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think the numbers sound about accurate between the math and mfp. I am 256 and both mfp and doing the math says right about the same thing. Will be interesting to see how that compares when I get a HRM in a couple weeks, Will let you know! :)
  • 2qut4umommy
    2qut4umommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to think of ripped in 30 and 30 day shred as not just cardio. 2/3 of the video is strength. Yes there is a cardio element to it but she is really wanting to build lean muscle. The more lean muscle you have the more you body has to rev up your metabolic rate to fuel those muscles. That way you are burning calories all day.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said they do the "circuit training general" MFP has logged. It's usually fairly accurate for me, and I am not a down to the calorie counter so I am happy with that. But, this was a great thread, thanks for posting!
  • xmariaxaliciax
    xmariaxaliciax Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I worked this out right:-

My weight 145lbs divided by 25 = 5.8 (I rounded it up to 6)
    6 x 50 = 300
    300/60 = 5 calories burned per minute

27 * 5 = 135 calories burned

My HRM consistently said I burned around 170-180 calories for level 1 of 30DS
    I'm on day 3 level 2 now and my HRM says I burn around 180-195. I'm not particularly fit so could be why I burn more than the formula.

MFP for circuit training estimates I would burn 238 in 27 mins,