How to slim down muscular legs?

Options
Okay, I am an athlete and im looking to slim down my lower body. My legs are super muscular, and my butt is just fat :). I want to slim down my huge muscle mass, but i need to maintain my speed. So the simple solution would be just to start running like two miles a day, but i cant because that would build slow-twitch endurance muscles instead of the fast-twitch muscles that i need for things such as basketball, and sprints in track. so basically my question is how can i slim down gigantic muscular legs, without the loss of my speed? I know that its possible, i used to be just as fast and i had less muscle mass but now i have more and am a little bit slower because of all the weight i have to run with. so if i can get down to the slimmer muscle i used to have that would be great!:smile:

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but short of actual muscle atrophy , I'm not sure there is a way to do this. (I'm in the same boat. I have very muscular legs, but even if I got rid of all the fat on them, they would be far from feminine :frown: However I try to be happy that my legs are capable of so much!)
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is just kind of silly. If you're really only 18, your body is still developing. I say, embrace the muscley legs. Muscles are awesome and burn more calories when compared to fat. More muscle is good, not to mention, usually more attractive. The last bit is just my opinion.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    so basically my question is how can i slim down gigantic muscular legs, without the loss of my speed?

lose fat.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your a short distance sprinter and play basketball and stuff you want more muscular legs as that is where your bursts and alot of your ability is coming from for those items.. I would eat at a deficit to reduce the weight that you added and keep the workout routine and eat more protein while in a deficit to reduce the loss of muscle mass.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Can you talk to your coach/trainer about it?

Generally, the thing to do here would be to lose the fat, not the muscle. Set your calories to maintenance, but make sure to include all the workouts in your calculation so you don't lose muscle or performance.

Keep your protein high, 15 or 20 percent of your calories should do it.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    ok...i ran track all through high school and college...i embraced my muscular legs...i do run and do other activities to help tone...but not "slim down" per say....you hopefully have a great athletic career ahead of you...be strong and show it!!!
  • countessvonfangbang
    Options
    I'm a basketball player too and I've always been someone who builds bulky muscles fast, especially in my legs. So besides the obvious advice about losing weight I wouldn't worry too much about it. Muscular legs look good and if you have defined calves it makes your ankles seem smaller in comparison which gives the illusion of a longer slimmer leg. If it's your thighs you're worried about you can figure out how to dress to make them look good. Short of lying in bed all day those muscles are staying there and you're working hard for them.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Lose the layer of fat over the muscle.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    First off, muscular legs ROCK. Muscular legs that can power you through sprints and basketball games really, really rock.

Think of them as tools of the trade. You wouldn't wear sky-high heels while doing sports, you'd wear proper athletic shoes. Your sports require your awesome legs just as much as they require the right footwear.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    By not using them. This may result in the largeness of your legs to move to your gut though. Be warned.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I found getting rid of the fat makes them more feminine. Girls can't build too much muscle when they are completely natural. I lift heavy but also do a lot of one legged exercises so even though my legs are muscular they are still feminine. Usually when girls think they are too bulky it is fat not muscle (or both). The true test: Get a body composition test. Most girls carry the last of their fat on their upper legs and pelvic area. I'm under 12% body fat and the majority of my fat is in that area and that is quite typically, especially with girls still menstruating.
  • lobstergirl
    lobstergirl Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    this question is all wrong.

muscular legs would need to atrophy, fat legs well just lose the fat. I suspect you mean you want to change the shape of your legs. i have 'muscly' legs. even when ive had really low body fat the shape of them, in my mind, are still big in comparison to everything else. this was an issue when i was 18. at 30 you learn to embrace the things you cannot change and make them the best that they can be.
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Honestly, learn to love your muscular legs. Between genetics, your activities, and your body type- unless you completely change what type of sport you do, your legs are going to stay muscular. Even with changing your activity (running instead of other sports) your legs will likely always be muscular. So, instead of fighting your body type, embrace it.

I hated my legs when I was 18, I was a gymnast and had large leg muscles as well, but those legs were crazy strong and 10 years later, I would give anything to have those legs back. If you want to lose fat in the booty, that's one thing- you can tone up, but learn to love your body the way it is. Not everyone has ballerina or runner legs, and that's okay.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am an athlete and im looking to slim down my lower body. My legs are super muscular, and my butt is just fat :). I want to slim down my huge muscle mass, but i need to maintain my speed. So the simple solution would be just to start running like two miles a day, but i cant because that would build slow-twitch endurance muscles instead of the fast-twitch muscles that i need for things such as basketball, and sprints in track. so basically my question is how can i slim down gigantic muscular legs, without the loss of my speed? I know that its possible, i used to be just as fast and i had less muscle mass but now i have more and am a little bit slower because of all the weight i have to run with. so if i can get down to the slimmer muscle i used to have that would be great!:smile:

The way I see it, your options are:
    1) Endurance running, do it on top of your normal work out if you are concerned about not building areas that you want to build
    2) Purposely overtrain. Fits in well with option 1, the only problem is that if you don't actually overtrain, you could gain mass
    3) Accept your thighs. You don't always get what you want, and most sprinters do have pretty big thighs because the things you do to sprint fast are the same things you do to grow muscle, and anaerobic strength helps with being fast. You may not be able to get everything you want.

You can always check bodybuilding forums. Since they care more about proportions than most people here, it will probably be more friendly
  • ashtonvv
    Options
    Why would you want to? Embrace them!
    I love the tone in my legs and get compliments on them all the time, throw on a skirt and some heels and flaunt them!
  • mallomary
    mallomary Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is not quite what you're asking about, but it might help: I was an athlete in high school, and a modern dancer until a few years after college. I had huge quads, and didn't think there was anything I could do about them. A couple of years ago, I started working with a physical therapist who used a Pilates-based approach. She taught me how to use my glutes more effectively, and I've recently noticed that my overdeveloped quads are less bulky and my underdeveloped glutes are higher and stronger. I can get a lot more specific on this topic, so if relatively overdeveloped thighs are your concern, rather than your legs being muscular all over, say so in the comments and I'll post more info.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to? Embrace them!
    I love the tone in my legs and get compliments on them all the time, throw on a skirt and some heels and flaunt them!

Exactly! Love my awesome, muscular legs!

When I started losing weight, the compliment I got most often was on how great my legs looked! I can rock high heels and shorts like it's nobody's business!! :drinker:
  • gingerCE
    Options
    Cycling. I don't know about slimming down but the best my legs ever looked was when I was using the stationary bike at the gym regularly. My sister was a runner and built up huge calves so I didn't want that and chose to cycle a lot.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without pics, but most likely it's the fat overlying your muscles that make your legs look to bigger than you'd like.