Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been on the mirena IUD for 3 years now and love it. The weight I gained from the pill came off instantly and I never even notice it. It's also fabulous to never have a period :)
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I had it 8 years ago, right after my last child and I only kept it in for 6 months because my body felt like I was still pregnant..I was eating for 2 and was still having crazy cravings..I removed it and returned to eating normal again but yes I blew up from it..my doctor said it might have been to strong for me
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Any form of contraception when it says the side effects are weight gain they literally mean about 0.5-2 lbs anything more is not due to the contraception!
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I am on my 2nd mirena and I did not gain any weight with it, in fact I have lost weight since I had it put in so I do not believe that it causes weight gain. If it does I do not think it is a significant amount.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena inserted about 18 months ago. Initially I thought I gained a teeny bit of weight (had been on Yasmin and supposedly that has diuretic effects, so it might have been water). One thing I have found it that is has been much easier for me to lose weight since I switched methods. We'll see about keeping it off...
  • happyfroehlich
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena and I have always envied the women not getting their period anymore. Obviously I don't belong to that category. I've never heared anything about a weight gain due to Mirena and as far as I'm concerned, the extra weight I'm carrying around is due to too much food :ohwell: :grumble:
    Also the age should not be underestimated I think. Due to hormonal changes the metabolic system changes and it becomes more difficult to lose weight. Personally I think the Mirena advantages are much bigger than the disadvantages :happy:
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena...

I can not blame it for any weight loss/gain...

I chose to eat the way I ate

I can say that not having debilitating periods that last 20+ days and leave me just shy of needing blood transfusions... THAT has helped my workouts...
  • themaskedpixie
    themaskedpixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i love my para gaurd, slightly heavy piriods but normal length and no hormone crazy
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena IUD last November. I feel like I have had it long enough to say that I LOVE IT. There was an adjustment period of about 3 months where I was spotting but since then everything has been in the clear. Since November I have not made any significant attempts to lose weight and nothing has managed to come back on. I think it is a great alternative to the pill, patch, ring, depo shot, etc. etc. etc.

I think the worst thing you can do is going reading about it online. Only the people with serious problems are going to report about their experiences. I think this is true with any health related ailment. Luckily I had lots of friends with IUDs (both Mirena and Paraguard) so I was able to make an informed decision that way.

Informative articles that also helped when I was making my decision:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/07/22/137370047/doctors-iuds-deserve-another-look
    http://jezebel.com/5513672/users-guide-getting-an-iud
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena and did not gain weight from it. I've also been able to lose weight with it in.
  • OraSabean
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD for almost 3 years now, and I love it. I was concerned about weight gain as I was also on Depo (the needle) and gained a lot with that, so I asked a OBGYN (who I happen to work for) and the Bayer rep. (company that makes it) and they told me that with any hormone form of birth control you can expect about 3-5lbs of weight gain, but anything over that really shouldn't be cause from the IUD. So I went for it and have actually lost since having mine put in so I'm not sure if the weight gain stories are true or not, but maybe for some people it does add those unwanted pounds or is it just something for people to blame?

For anyone considering the Mirena, all I can say if do your research and ask questions about any concerns you have with your doctor, and do what feels right for you. I would say give it a try and see, but it is very pricey and in todays world who can afford too.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! and there is this awesome article from Wired Magazine that my boyfriend actually sent me.... It kind of explains why IUDs got a bad rep.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_iud/
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for almost 10 years now (im just due to change it for the second time).

During this time i have gained and lost and gained and lost about 30 pounds.

I can't really attribute this in any way to the IUD, each time i've put on weight it's been because of my lifestyle, and each time i've lost it it's because i've worked at it!

I know it's not for everyone, but it works fine for me!

I've not had a period for pretty much the whole time, which weirdly, sometimes i miss! I've been tempted to have it removed, just to see what it's like to have periods again, but there are so few non-chemical contraceptives out there that i don't really see the point!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont do this! I know everyone is different but I got my period for 2 weeks straight EVERY month! I thought it would get better but it didnt. I had it removed in April and couldnt be happier, now only have my period for 4 days tops. Had a little extra weight gain that was also lost after i had it removed so it was a win win for me

THIS! For me the "paragaurd copper IUD" was the devil. I had bad periods before with an 8 day long consistently heavy period, and bad cramps. With the copper IUD It went from bad to worse! I was anemic with it, in such pain for 3 weeks out of every month, that I had to have people come to my house to take care of my first baby girl while I was laying down, praying that I wouldn't bleed all over the couch. My periods went from 8 days, heavy flow, to 10 days. And bad cramps, to what felt similar to contractions. Not worth it...at all.

That's my story with it :tongue:
  • snykim2005
    snykim2005 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got mirena about 6 weeks ago, about the same time I decided I wanted to start losing weight. so far Ive lost about 12 pounds, and other than spotting and some cramps , I really cant say anything negative about it. and it is great to not have to worry about taking pills or anything. I would recommend it!
  • knitterly
    knitterly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had one for 2 years and put on 24lbs. I was also irrationally hungry all the time. Moody, low libido, gained 14 day periods with a 28 day cycle, couldn't think my way out of a paper bag, and on and on. I hated it. Now that it's gone, I've lost 15 of my 24lbs. And am a ton happier.

everybody's different, tho...
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena for 2.5 years. Not only did I gain weight, but I also developed ovarian cysts due to the IUD (haven't had a cyst since its removal). I had it removed, joined weight Watchers and lost 30lbs in 3 months.

Additionally, I ended up with complications with the removal. The string got sucked up into my uterus, and I had to have a hysteroscopy to have it removed. The first doctor who tried to remove it went fishing in my uterus with this hook-shaped tool - without anesthesia. I left that appt feeling abused and violated, so I switched doctors and had the hysteroscopy with local anesthesia.

There's no perfect form of birth control. Now, I track my cycle and know my fertile phases to preent pregnancy. No horomones, no weight gain related to birth control, no side effects. Have used the fertility awareness method for pregnancy prevention for 5 1/2 years. I have a regular cycle.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What people say about BC not causing weight gain, is true. However hormones do cause emotions like PMS, can cause cravings, can cause the body to retain water, (little bit of weight gain there) and if you are a person who gets horrible side effects, every day of the month then I can understand how weight gain can occur. While it is not the device itself that causes weight gain- the device def causes intense cravings in some women.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for 4 yrs and haven't gained any weight with it nor has it hindered my weight loss in any way.
  • Maria_T007
    Options
    I never had weight gain at all..but I had bladder infections all the time.