Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Replies

• Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Bump
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Great post! I definitely have to keep coming back to what is "supposed to be" basics so easy to forget.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    bump
  • mx2mama
    mx2mama Posts: 62
    Bump
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,782 Member
    bump to read later
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    :smile:
    BTRL
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Bump for later!! Thanks!!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Thanks Sara! I reworked my goals to lose only .5 lbs/week, and upped my activity level to match my increased workouts, now here's the $100,000 question: do I still eat back all my exercise calories? I'm still kinda confused...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Thanks Sara! I reworked my goals to lose only .5 lbs/week, and upped my activity level to match my increased workouts, now here's the $100,000 question: do I still eat back all my exercise calories? I'm still kinda confused...

Are you using the MFP set up or over-riding and using the TDEE - x%, and if so, what activity did you pick?
  • Arkani7
    Arkani7 Posts: 68 Member
    bump :) and THANK YOU
  • elenathegreat

Are you using the MFP set up or over-riding and using the TDEE - x%, and if so, what activity did you pick?

Using the MFP set up right now...my main activities are a stationary bike with an upper body feature and horseback riding, which will increase greatly as the weather warms up. Summer seems to be the time when I really progress in weight loss, and I try to just hold the line once Sweets Season starts(ie. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...).

Derp. you prob. meant activity level...I chose lightly active, because I do become more active during the Spring and Summer.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf

Using the MFP set up right now...my main activities are a stationary bike with an upper body feature and horseback riding, which will increase greatly as the weather warms up. Summer seems to be the time when I really progress in weight loss, and I try to just hold the line once Sweets Season starts(ie. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...).

Derp. you prob. meant activity level...I chose lightly active, because I do become more active during the Spring and Summer.

Using that method, you should eat 50 - 75% of your exercise calories back (to account for any over-estimates) and tweak accordingly if your results are not as predicted over about a 4 week period.
  • elenathegreat
    Thank you, Sara! I will try this thru April...your body is beautiful, BTW, and you are an inspiration.
  • kaytyl2
    kaytyl2 Posts: 142 Member
    Bump
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I enjoy that alcohol is a macro LOLOL
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Bump for later.
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    This info is awesome! I have been on MFP for 2 years now. I lost 60 lbs in the first 17 months, but I've stalled for the last 7 months. Partly because I will feel like I'm doing everything right and the weight or body fat still won't come off, so I give up and go back to maintenance. I feel sooooooo stuck and like my body won't go down any lower that 157. I'm really ready to lose my last 20 lbs tho. My question is if I use TDEE - 20% to estimate cal intake, do I eat back any exercise cals?
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Also, what if what MFP gives you is lower than your BMR??? Is that ok???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Also, what if what MFP gives you is lower than your BMR??? Is that ok???

I would look to see whether your settings are appropriate based first. The answer is...it depends.