Crazy Things Cashiers Have Done/Said

Options

Replies

• vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was reading this thread right before I went to lunch...these types of threads on MFP always entertain me. So, for this to happen right after I was browsing made me feel the need to share my experience today.

I went to place that I frequent a lot. The cashier is familiar with me and my boss, so he knows what my regular is. It's a little taco shop (literally called Taco Shop), and I prefer my meals with their hot sauce vs. their mild. So the cashier tells me what I normally order, and I told him to remember I liked them "hot". So when they call my order, I see that they're in the mild wrapper. So I asked if they were mild, and the cashier goes, "You wanted them hot?" And I said, "Yes." And he points at their little station and tells me, "Well there's the hot sauce."

I was a little put off by that kind of attitude, especially since I eat there a lot!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Uhh, well at my old job being a cashier, a customer actually made me scared for my life!

He was real tall, skinny, skrawny, and all dirty looking...He was talking to like everyone in line saying "i just got 5,000 dollars in my bank acount, after all that time" (He was pissed off btw) He was finally up and said that same thing to me... I didnt know really what to say so i was just like "ahh well thats good". And he just kept going on and on... "I finally got it, i took me 3 years!" And i kept on saying "ohh well good.."

And he was getting so pissed off ( HE WAS MAKING HIMSELF MAD BECAUSE HE KEPT TALKING) He kept on saying the same stuff and pretty soon he was literally yelling at me... And then he started screaming about "how everyone on this planets about of idiots and" just yeah.... Then he would look at me and scream "do i look like im joking to you?!" Finally i had to call my manager over because his card wouldnt go through....

HIS FOOD STAMPS CARD WOULD NOT GO THROUGH, and came up restricted..(even though he apparently just got 5,000 dollars in his bank account) He had to leave because he couldnt pay..
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Well, it wasn't a cashier, but it was funny.
    Me and my husband are leaving the store and walk past some boys raising money for something like basketball for school. Neither one of us usually carries cash, so when they asked us to donate we told them we don't have any money on us.
    As we are walking away, I hear one kid call us jerks. I turn towards my husband, smile and say "Gary they fricking just called us jerks!!"
    So we get to the car, he goes to the console and fishes out a penny. I'm asking him what he's doing and he just keeps walking. (Mind you, my husband is like 275 lbs at 5'6 and works out, so he looks pretty beefed up)
    He goes up to the boys, tosses the penny in the bucket they had and says "here's your donation"
    Those boys looked terrified and I couldn't stop laughing. Oh it was hilarious!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My other favorite one was at a beauty supply store where I bought two makeup brushes... I was just going to throw them in my purse, so when the cashier/owner took out a bag, I just said, "No bag, thanks, I'm going to put them in my purse."

She then proceeded to hand me my purchases and then bag my credit card and receipt and hand me the bag. I was dumbfounded by the concept of bagging my credit card, so I just removed the card and receipt and left the bag, shaking my head as I left.

Who bags a Credit Card?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was in a grocery store with my girlfriend getting fish from the seafood counter. The (older than me) fella working the counter was flirting with me shamelessly which my girlfriend/significant other found amusing. He gestured toward her and said "Your daughter thinks I'm funny". Now I think flirting from anyone is flattering, but he seriously lost points with than one.

Recently while waiting my turn in line, I listened patiently while the cashier complained to the customer in front of me about how she worked two jobs and had been up since some ungodly hour of the morning, yada, yada, yada. When it was my turn, she didn't skip a beat. She said "Good afternoon, did you find everything you needed? You know I was just telling her (gesturing to customer walking away) that I've been up since"...yada, yada, complain, complain.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    So I was reading quite a few and realized my stories aren't cashier related, but as a waitress. And I was on the opposite end. I once had this couple come in and sit in my section. When they were about to leave, they were hitting up the restroom. The wife approached me and asked if I could help her husband go to the bathroom. I explained to her that I could not do that. She kept trying to talk me into it, even reminding me that he is blind and cannot do it himself! I was nearly speechless. I had to grab the manager for help on that. :S Another one was an old couple and another old lady. They had coupons for "buy one entree, get a second half off". Of course the couple didn't have an issue using it, but then the other lady tried to use it....with no second entree. She just wanted hers half off. I said I couldn't do that unless she wanted to purchase a second. The man from the couple nearly yelled at me!! He said "Can't you see she is a widow!!!" Uhhhhh.......
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My sister in-law works at Wal-Mart and she posts on FB about people in line and what they buy with their food stamps. I can’t seem to bring myself to reply what I’m thinking every time I see her making fun of someone in her checkout line..... “This sounds like a SNL skit, women who work at Wal-Mart who make fun of people in the checkout line” =)
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OK so I was the cashier at McDonalds, MANY years ago. This lady walks up to the counter & I say my rehersed line "Can I take your order please?" She looks to her right & asks the person standing next to her (important note here - there's NO ONE standing next to her), "what do you want today?".....they proceed to carry on a conversation about what they want & eventually she looks back at me & orders what both of them discussed. I proceeded to ring it up, collect the money & bag her order...all the while waiting for her to realize she'd ordered food for someone who didn't exsist. Wait for it........she turns to go to her table, pauses, then whips around & says, "this isn't my order!" I couldn't even begin to know how to respond....how do you tell someone they just ordered food for their imaginary friend?? I called the manager, explained the situation & went to the back room for a break while she did whatever it was the woman wanted. Over 20 years later, I'll never forget that!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    haha
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have been hit on by a cashier at a Burger King drive-through once. "Hay gurl, can I getcho' number? Guuuuuuuuurrrrrrrl why wont you give me yo nuuuuuumberrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh!!!" :indifferent:

Response: "Because I am a girl. Learn to speak english and we will talk."
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cashier in Flint, MI (Murder capitol of America). Used to be THE worst neighborhood in Flint too. Got too many stories.

We used to have bullet proof glass however a bullet proof glass doesn't really cover all of the area. You still have some area on the top that is grilled with steel for ventilation and then the counter itself is also made of wood or whatever material so bullets can go through it. My buddy got shot and killed from somebody shooting him from the above grill. I got shot at from the counter area but the bullet missed me.

We used to have kickass system where you can just lock the door from pressing a button behind the counter and nobody can enter or leave. Once a customer came in when I was by myself behind the counter and the guy with me was in the cooler filling up the stock. I got crowded all of a sudden which usually means somebody would try to steal something. We have huge screens and cameras all over so I was checking it and of course, saw somebody pick up a beer and put it in coat. When his turn came in, got the beer to me to bag it, got the money, didn't gave him the beer or the change and told him to GTFO with the stolen beer before I called cops. He basically paid me $20 for a $1.25 busch

Another time, it was a slow night, again by myself behind counter. Guy came in with some bottle returns. Got his 12 pack of beer first, put it on the counter and asked me to count the bottles. Instincts told me that he will be stealing the beer. As soon as I turned for a second, he tried to take off. I was prepared and pressed the button to lock him inside. He pulled the gun, threatened to shoot me through the bullet proof glas (by this time, we have even tighter bullet proofing). I laughed. Pulled out the gun we keep at the store and told him to put the gun on the rotating glass to give me. Turns out it was a fake gun made of plastic... told him to get buck naked and give me his clothes before I get the cops. He didn't had no money but I'm sure somebody liked his raggidy clothes at goodwill.

Used to ge tthreatened everyday. Would get told that they'll get me when I left the store etc. Daily crap to deal with. That was the spot where I actually got the balls to tell a guy twice as big as me to go **** his mother. On the other hand, that job also taught me that you can solve pretty much every problem with a diplomacy. I used to talk to the most riled up customers and calm them down. I had customers who literally would want to shoot me or my co-workers but had to talk to them and calm them down and reason with them.

I learned a LOT about humans and how low we as species can get be and how little importance life can be when it comes to money, drugs and prostitution.

Got many more stories to share if you want :)
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    We were at the meat counter in our local supermarket & hubby asked the girl to cut him a piece of steak. She did so, but she cut it so it was a wedge shape. Hubby wasn't satisfied and asked her to cut another piece. Her reply? "It's not my fault cows aren't straight." Almost peed myself laughing..............

Please tell me he replied "What do you mean cows are gay?"
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    I used to run the customer service and layaway desks at Walmart. When I worked there we had a binder explicitly saying over and over that the customer was always right. On one particular day I was shocked to see management make me actually adhere to these guidelines and return the following items:

A used pregnancy test : :because it didn't work".. it read positive and well, I guess she just thought it was defective.
    A stereo system box: yes, the box had concrete blocks in it and I was told by the customer "it was like that when I bought it".
    A pack of diapers: used, with crap still in them because "they don't hold enough".
    A box of condoms: used, because "they busted"

It was a day that will always be remembered as the day I no longer wanted to ever work at Walmart.

Well it's obvious the condoms busted. There WAS a used PREGNANT pregnancy test.... just thought I'd point that out LOL
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is a certain local bank that is notorious for their poor treatment of customers. One time my husband went in to make a deposit for our business. It wasn't particularly large or different than any other daily deposits. The only thing different was that it was my husband making the deposit, he usually doesn't. The teller demanded to see his ID and his Social Security number in order to make the deposit. We had been banking there for over 25 years.

Thank the Patriot Act and KYC (know your customer) rules. Any transaction that is "out of the ordinary" is supposed to be questioned.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    "Your English is very good!"

wtf, people. I was born about 20 miles from that spot. I would've throat punched him, but he probably would've called it a Karate chop on the evening news.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

Apparently math is not required to work a register.

Ummm....why would you want $5.03 back? Just to get a $5 bill?

I can do math as I have worked in finance my entire adult life, but I would still be confused as to why you would want $5.03 back unless it was for the bill.

I must be dumb, too! Aaaaahh!!! :drinker:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There is a certain local bank that is notorious for their poor treatment of customers. One time my husband went in to make a deposit for our business. It wasn't particularly large or different than any other daily deposits. The only thing different was that it was my husband making the deposit, he usually doesn't. The teller demanded to see his ID and his Social Security number in order to make the deposit. We had been banking there for over 25 years.

Thank the Patriot Act and KYC (know your customer) rules. Any transaction that is "out of the ordinary" is supposed to be questioned.

I think this only applies for withdrawals or gathering information. Not 100% sure.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    "Your English is very good!"

wtf, people. I was born about 20 miles from that spot. I would've throat punched him, but he probably would've called it a Karate chop on the evening news.

lol you must have worked at a nice area or something. I used to get called pretty much every racial slur on a daily basis along with that "why are you in my country taking my job" or "****ing arabs can't speak English". a) Not arab. b) Spoke much better English than they did :)
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My other favorite one was at a beauty supply store where I bought two makeup brushes... I was just going to throw them in my purse, so when the cashier/owner took out a bag, I just said, "No bag, thanks, I'm going to put them in my purse."

She then proceeded to hand me my purchases and then bag my credit card and receipt and hand me the bag. I was dumbfounded by the concept of bagging my credit card, so I just removed the card and receipt and left the bag, shaking my head as I left.

Who bags a Credit Card?

Wtf?! That's a total Twilight Zone moment! I wonder what was going through her mind?! lol
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I used to run the customer service and layaway desks at Walmart. When I worked there we had a binder explicitly saying over and over that the customer was always right. On one particular day I was shocked to see management make me actually adhere to these guidelines and return the following items:

A used pregnancy test : :because it didn't work".. it read positive and well, I guess she just thought it was defective.
    A stereo system box: yes, the box had concrete blocks in it and I was told by the customer "it was like that when I bought it".
    A pack of diapers: used, with crap still in them because "they don't hold enough".
    A box of condoms: used, because "they busted"

It was a day that will always be remembered as the day I no longer wanted to ever work at Walmart.

wtf.................