Hot Tea + Empty Stomach = ThrowUP!! WHY????

Thought I would have a nice hot cup of Earl Grey with lemon and honey this morning instead of my usual java jolt. It smelled and tasted really good. Sipped slowly while preparing my breakfast. Had about half of the cup down....OH NO....what is this??? Mouth starts watering profusely, nausea has set in...OMG I am going to throw up!! Sure enough as I race off to the bathroom!!
...All better now, finish making my breakfast of toasted flax bread with almond butter and over easy egg...devour that and continue on drinking the rest of my cup of tea. I feel great!!

Why is it I vomit after tea on an empty stomach? Oh by the way, no problem with iced tea, just hot.
Anybody else have this issue?

Replies

• crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    I don't think it's the tea...are you sure you don't have the flu?
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    it was the lemon. Acid on an empty stomach.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Tea is acidic, so if you have a sensitive stomach, it could be irritating the lining...
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    I find green tea makes me feel really sick if I drink it on an empty stomach. I looked it up and it's because it produces a chemical that begins with p in your stomach that can irritate your stomach lining. Maybe Earl Grey has a similar effect.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    I had the same thing happen to me after drinking tea one morning on an empty stomach. Funny, I have no issue with coffee though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If it was just one time it could have been any number of things causing it. Also, since Earl Grey has an oil added to it, perhaps you are sensitive to the oil and it may not happen with other teas.

If it happens every time I'd suggest not drinking tea on an empty stomach. :flowerforyou:
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    And I would have said it was the honey. Something sweet and hot would upset my stomach. But I agree, if it happend every time, don't chance it!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I've read about this happening with green tea before, and have actually had it happen to me on more than one occasion.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Does it happen every time you drink tea in the morning or just this once?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    I do too!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Because you should have had coffee not tea. Your body is mad at you.

Kidding, no idea. Maybe you are coming down with the flu.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Post nasal drip. Your stomach was full of fluid and the tea triggered the purging.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I don't know why it happens, but I wanted to chime in that it's happened to me too, so you're not the only one. Lemon Zinger (black tea) with honey on an empty stomach = puke.

I just make sure not to drink hot tea on an empty stomach LOL
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    I can drink green tea or white tea, any herb tea on an empty stomach. Black tea?? Gosh NO,, My guts churn and I feel sick to my stomach. I can have two cups of black coffee on an empty stomach but also know I need to eat shortly otherwise the coffee on an empty stomach does bother me too.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    If I drink black tea (hot or cold) on an empty stomach, I get nauseous as well. Probably just a sensitive stomach.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Well, glad to see I am not the only one. No, it isn't the flu. I feel fine immediately after barfing. I think it is just a sensitive stomach to the acid. Just wondered if it affected anyone else like me. ...and yes it happens every time I drink tea on empty tummy. Well that is the end of that. Note to self...food first!
  • BethNoel05
    BethNoel05 Posts: 6 Member
    This just happened to me! I drank hit green tea with a wedge of lemon and 1 tsp of stevia as I was preparing my morning smoothie. I packed my smoothie, my husband and I got in the car and were driving to church (we were supposed to lead children's worship) and all of a sudden I knew I could throw up. My husband rushed me back home and sure enough, I threw up. I don't know why this is happening as it's not the first time I've drank GT on an empty stomach. And I rarely get sick...
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Tea just does this. Eat something, even a little bit, and you should be okay. I also find that adding milk to the tea prevents this for me, although not everybody likes that and it doesn't really taste good with all teas.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    I'm so glad to read that other people have this issue, I thought I was the only one! It only happens to me when I drink black tea - I can drink green, white, or herbal tea without incident, but if untreated black tea touches my stomach I get sick. I am guessing it is the tannins in the tea - I read somewhere that fats neutralize tannins, and when I drink black tea with cream it seems to diminish the effect. I love black tea, so I just make sure to eat something before drinking it or add a generous amount of light cream.
  • Hot drinks ALWAYS make me feel sick...no matter if it's on an empty stomach or not, or even just hot water. I always feel a bit car-sick afterwards. Have always been like that.

So I just don't drink hot drinks. That's okay. I'm not bitter. :sad: