What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Replies

• yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Re: Canadian Bacon
    Thinly sliced ham is actually a staple for me these days. I've been eating roast ham similar to prosciutto and it's 166 calories for 100 grams and it's pretty satisfying.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Fondue. Seriously, I was thinking "it's just cheese," but I guess I always measure out my cheese before I melt it! I put a half cup of *shredded* mozzarella on top of our eggplant lasagna, but tonight I fully expect to consume a half cup of fondue, which is one third of the package! A whopping 500 calories for one part of my meal. The steak I am serving with it has fewer calories!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Fondue. Seriously, I was thinking "it's just cheese," but I guess I always measure out my cheese before I melt it! I put a half cup of *shredded* mozzarella on top of our eggplant lasagna, but tonight I fully expect to consume a half cup of fondue, which is one third of the package! A whopping 500 calories for one part of my meal. The steak I am serving with it has fewer calories!!

Never mind, I totally messed up the math. - it is "only" 130 cal for a quarter cup, so I will probably get less than 300 calories from it.

Now I need another snack!

I could have made more cheesecake!
  • I'm mourning olive oil. 112 calories? I used to just take a bottle of it and pour it in the pan till it "looked right" thinking as long as it's not Crisco, I'd be fine :/
  • The salads you can get from a restaurant like 99 - yikes!!!! healthy but then i couldn't eat anything else the rest of the day!!!
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    tomato ketchup I was shocked at more the sugar in a tiny amount ,I used to have 2 or 3 big dollops maybe every meal!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    tomato ketchup I was shocked at more the sugar in a tiny amount ,I used to have 2 or 3 big dollops maybe every meal!

Oh my goodness yes! I love ketchup so much, to the point where it's almost kinky. But 20 calories per tablespoon adds up when you use more than 1/4 cup at a time. Using a skimpy amount of ketchup is worse than not using it at all. I thank the artificial sweetener gods that Heinz has a reduced sugar ketchup. At only 5 tablespoons per tablespoon, I can actually use a decent amount.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    I find potatoes to be a lot higher than I expected and I mean a naked potato. A small potato is like 150 calories and that is before you add anything to it.

Go to a restaurant and get a big loaded potato and you are probably looking at 750+ calories for the potato. Same for potato skins....your appetizer.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    I love tomato ketchup as well. It bet I used close to 20 Tbsp of ketchup for a steak and cheese with fries. That's a lot of calories and sugar just in the ketchup.
  • Definitely peanut butter!

And apples or bananas, I thought they were healthy so why a big calorie?
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    cranberry juice has the same calories pretty much as coca cola

Good call.

I also hate the myth that cranberry juice can help with cystitis/kidney infections - it is so loaded with sugar to make it palatable that it is just about the worst thing you can use and it will actually aggravate it.

I use cranberry supplements - clears the infection in a day if you take one every couple of hours. Don't do that more than a day though, pharmacist says it's no harm, but it still don't seem right
  • Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

What? That's not accurate at all.
    A cup of strawberries has around 45-55 calories, depending on whether they're whole/halved/sliced.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Cheese. I love cheese- especially the extra sharp stuff but it has a lot calories and fat and is just generally bad for you. I still eat it just in smaller, manageable portions.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Stagg Chili. Buddy had a can of it for lunch today at work. The whole can is 660 calories, 34g of fat and 1600 mg of sodium.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Zesty Onion Ring sauce from Burger King! Love that stuff, would use 3 or 4 of the little cups every time for my fries and I would slather it on my burger too. After I started MFP I looked it up and its 150 calories of fat! No more Zesty sauce for me :sad:
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Fish tacos from On The Border!! Wow! Insanely how much eating those and the black beans are!!! I'm just suprised in general how high calorie most meats are for only 4oz, and although healthy for you (if you are a meat eater and like that), just shocked they are so high calorie!!
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    tortillas, avacados and pecans.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I think "a lot" is very subjective in this thread :) To me, a banana is nothing, in terms of calories. Perhaps some of you guys are on more restricted calorie regimens than I am, though.

I was surprised how low certain foods are in protein. I started paying attention to my protein intake and had to up my protein so I can barely eat the foods I usually prefer to eat. Even when I eat what I consider big protein foods, I can't hit my target. So yeah, for me the shocker was how little protein I used to eat before I started counting calories.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Onions!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    A WATERMELON IS 1400 CALORIES??! THAT!