What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Low-fat granola. I was eating truckloads worth of that stuff. Probably 1000 calories worth of low-fat granola to start my day. And, of course, I had yogourt and fresh fruit with it. I figure a 1400 calorie breakfast was the norm for me. (Yikes.)

^^^this^^^ is honestly part of the reason why I am overweight. I work out, eat 90% good stuff and endulge rarely like everyone should. BUT, when I look at what i would eat at breakfast, it's insane. I knew granola, muesli wasn't on the light side of calories. The thing is when I actually got to weighing portion size I was shocked!! As she said, I was eating about 600-800 calories of muesli/granola. Either milk, yogurt and then apples. If the granola didnt have nuts already in it, I'd toss more nuts and/or dried cranberries!!! I was eating a 1000 calorie breakfast!!!!! Healthy, but making me fat!!!

Same thing with pasta- double,triple portions.

For me weight loss can be simple: change the breakfast and eat only one cup pasta. Bam. Over 1000 calories saved!!!!
    Heh, I was at the grocery store and there was one of those natural cereals called "skinny" something. Looked at the calorie count - 2 teaspoons was 140 calories!

Sorry for double post, finger slipped?

Wanted o add and who eats 2 tsps? Excately my point. I love muesli and granola. Even plain oatmeal has a heavy calorie load. Might as well be eating peanut butter by the spoonful!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    oh like others have said, granola, avocado, flour, nuts....oh and of course back in the day when i first found out how many cals was in a Starbucks Mocha...ya.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    who on earth eats a whole bowl of granola anyway? two tablespoons seem like enough for me.

mayo
    anything fried
    flour
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Any type of nut and the chocolate cake at long horn steakhouse. It is 2180 calories...
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh and chicken wings! I thought they were tiny, didn't think about the fact that they are all skin....sad!
  • macummins1959
    Options
    The turkey and provolone sandwich at Costco. It tastes so good. I will not likely eat another as long as I live.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

That's not accurate, actually...I'd enter it again and look for "strawberry" nutrition facts that are confirmed by other members
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

Double cream
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows
    Nuts

But also shocked by low cal content of mattesons turkey bacon- fabulous 25 cals tucked into a scrambled egg sandwich. Lunch for 225 calories- fab!
  • grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

Hey just so you know there is NOT 200 calories in one cup of strawberries. There is only 53 calories per one cup of fresh sliced strawberries :) hope this helps!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Seriously flour. It's just an ingrediant and it doesn't even taste good. Looking for more baking recepies that dont' require it. Have you tried the Oatmeal and Banana cookies! I love them. No flour.
  • AngelVale
    Options
    Ham in general! I was so surprised by the calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Any type of nut and the chocolate cake at long horn steakhouse. It is 2180 calories...

So, even if we split it, I can't have anything else?
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Actually in a GOOD way I was surprised by the calories in popcorn. If you don't add butter to it but season it with the many avialable seasonings by (for example) Kernal Seasons (http://www.kernelseasons.com) it is really filling and low-calorie!
  • jordanalexis90
    jordanalexis90 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    cranberry juice has the same calories pretty much as coca cola
    What??? I love cranberry juice :(
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Another one to add to the I know it was bad but...
    7-11 muffins. I used to stop for one of these almost every morning. I logged one once and that was my last one lol.
    I think it comes in at 590 cal for the banana one.

I knew they weren't the best, but never paid much attention until I came here.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What??? I love cranberry juice :(
    Most fruit juices are around that or more - orange juice is 7 calories more per 100ml than coke.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Blue cheese.. not so much calories but fat grams. OMG.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nuts, dried fruit and cheese, all of which I now religiously weigh as I love them all...