How to make Indian Chai

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
See threads abotu this pop from time ot time so I figured I'd just make a thread about different chai recipes. But before I go, I just tell you. Chai IS tea. Chai literally means tea in hindi and many other languages. So there is no such thing is "Chai tea" since it basically translates to "tea tea". Now that you're a bit schooled, lets move on to the recipes!

Regular chai: Boil a mug of water (add sugar if you like), when the water is violently boiling, add 1/2 tea spoon of black tea. Boil it more for about 2-3 minutes. Now when you pour it in a cup, you can use 1 tbsp of powdered milk if you like. If you prefer regular moo-cow milk, I would suggest using it while boiling (around the time you add sugar). This way you can limit your use of milk rather than eliminating it completely

doodh patti: boil a mug of milk, as soon as milk starts boiling violently, put half a tea spoon of black tea in it with sugar (if you like). Wait about 2 minuets. No water needs to be added.

ilaichi chai: start boiling a mug of water, add some milk into it (as much as you prefer) with 2 pods of cardamom. As soon as it starts boiling, add 1/2 tsp of black tea with sugar. Boil for 2 more minutes, You can add a VERY tiny piece of ginger in it also when you add cardamom.

Saudi Indian chai: Let a mug of water boil violently till about 3/4th of the mug of water remains. Tea bag (teehee), sugar and a generous amount (about 1/3rd of the mug) of EVAPORATED milk into the bottom of the mug, pour the water into the cup. Move the tea bag around while giving the tea some time to cool down.

Gud chai: Gud = Jaggery. You basically replace sugar with Jaggery in all the above recipes except Saudi Indian chai and donot mix ginger with the chai when using Jaggery. You will have to give Jaggery some time to cook and distribute also. Chai with Jaggery is AWESOME!

If you take away the cardamom from the above ilaichi chai then that is regular indian chai. If you make that 1 tsp of black tea in it then it is kadak chai. If you add Jaggery in the start of boiling process in any of those chais then it becomes "gur chai" (or "gud chai")

This is how we make it in Pakistan and many areas of India.

Hope this helps you a bit. Good luck.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was so thankful like 10 years ago when a former co-worker who was from India told me that Chai meant tea and not to say "Chai Tea." Anyhow, I now have another friend who makes ilaichi chai, I think. I will have to verify with her which it is. It is so delicious! I can't wait until I can drive again in a couple of weeks because she makes it every day, is a stay at home mom and I have an open invitation to go over for afternoon Chai anytime!

ETA: You said "teabag."
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Hi Taunto.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    yay Chai edumacation!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're the one who posted this
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    This my have been the most informative recipe post I have read on MFP in over a year.

You've given me hope.

:chaiforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thank you, Taunto.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mmmm cardamom, mmmmm Jaggery.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I happen to have some cardamom... going to try it! ♥
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So, what are "chai spices?" Or is it that we've b*st*ardized the meaning so bad that it's not a relevant phrase, anyway? LOL (My question is an honest one!"

I love the whole cardamom, cinnamon, clove, pepper..., blend. Just curious.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    So, what are "chai spices?" Or is it that we've b*st*ardized the meaning so bad that it's not a relevant phrase, anyway? LOL (My question is an honest one!"

Basically just that.

People add Ginger as well. Sometimes Star Anise, Almonds and Fennel to the boiling water.
    Each home makes it differently, adding more of one spice and less of another...sometimes Rose flavoring is added
    :drinker:
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Basically just that.

People add Ginger as well. Sometimes Star Anise, Almonds and Fennel to the boiling water.
    Each home makes it differently, adding more of one spice and less of another...sometimes Rose flavoring is added

Oh yeah, I have it with Rose hips as well as the star anise and ginger. Also vanilla or cocoa nibs! Yummy!
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks [for the recipes as for the education]
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Basically just that.

Oh yeah, I have it with Rose hips as well as the star anise and ginger. Also vanilla or cocoa nibs! Yummy!

all of these sound so good!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Completely forgot to mention. Indians use fine tea. Not big granulated tea. Which is why you only need 1/2 tsp. If you use the bigger sized tea like the one in teabags (teehee) then you might want to increase how much tea you use. Besides, I'd take what I wrote as a general guideline and encourage you to play with the ingredient amounts :)

And thank you for the positive response. I hope you all enjoy it :)