Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Indiana's not so healthy contribution, lol. But, oh so delicious. The pork tenderloin sandwich. You can get them grilled, which is what I do now.
    I used to get this while on business down in Greensburg, IN years ago...I felt greasy and terrible and my tummy hurt afterward, but it sure was good when you're eating them!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Corn-on-the-Cob.jpg

State-Fair-2010-104-300x225.jpg

jello-salad-630x472.jpg

can you guess where I'm from??? :laugh:

Midwest for sure. PIgs and corn = Iowa and Illinois. Carrots in Jello = Lutheran Minnesota.

jello salads are a very Iowa thing as well. :wink: and, oddly enough, I was raised Lutheran and my grandparents came from MN

I've lived in Iowa for the past 14 years, and have not been subjected to the carrots in jello thing here. (knock wood).
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Lula, Ga

Basically anything deep fried or containing Blue Plate...

Brunswick Stew - Papa makes the best! With deer, rabbit, beef, pork and any other meat he has at the time.

Buttermilk Biscuits

BBQ - A place in Helen, GA a little north of me called North GA BBQ is absolutely amazing. If you get directions from my dad, who has been elected to bring said BBQ to every family function, he will tell you to turn right after the poopoo plant... :laugh: A place up from the road called Mickey Piggs is pretty dang good too.

I will probably think of more later after my second cup of coffee.
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    ZOMG - When I lived in Dunoon, I got so sick of the fried haggas, fish and chips, I got excited to see that there was a personal sized deep dish pizza on the menu. I ordered it, and was mortified when I watched the owner, go to the freezer pull out a mini pizza, and put it in the basket and deep fat fry it.

Haha! I used to go on holiday to Dunoon when I was a kid. Small world :)
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Oh, I grew up in Chicago and am just outside of it now. Our signature is the deep dish pizza! That and the Chicago style hot dog. Below is a shot from one of Chicago's faves Lou Malnati's with it's famous butter crust... God I should go workout now just at the thought :)

5220046682_4d2673469d_n.jpg
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    SE Texas/SW Louisiana-we are known for Cajun and Creole foods. Gumbo, Jambalaya, Etouffee, Crawfish......
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Oh, I grew up in Chicago and am just outside of it now. Our signature is the deep dish pizza! That and the Chicago style hot dog. Below is a shot from one of Chicago's faves Lou Malnati's with it's famous butter crust... God I should go workout now just at the thought :)

5220046682_4d2673469d_n.jpg

I covered the dog for ya!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Signature where I live?

I'm not thinking so. I live in Spokane, there's not much. So in that vacuum, I make my own neat stuff.

In my basement I'm making:
    - Prosciutto
    - Peach Wine
    - Beer
    - country ham
    - landjager
    - bacon
    - lardo
    - (coming soon) cheese
    - (coming soon) bresaola
  • chicad83
    chicad83 Posts: 15
    Springfield Style Cashew Chicken!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    I guess we have In-n-Out but that's slowly spreading out. Used to only be SoCal. They will make a burger any way you want it, like the 6x6, 6 patties 6 pieces of cheese. And then there's the Animal Style. But that you have to try to find out.

^^ This
    I live in So-Cal and had In-N-Out yesterday.. Double Double and ANIMAL STYLE fries.. NOM!!!
  • ljay17
    ljay17 Posts: 12
    I live in Menorca, a small island off the coast of Spain. Our islands signature dish is Caldereta, which is a lobster stew, yummy!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Wisconsin - brats, cheese, and beer. Not the best diet plan, but all in moderation. :happy:
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    MMM coneys! Duly's is my fave :)
  • Uhm.. yeah.. this is the best we can do..

media_xl_30741.jpg
    6164.jpg

PS: I'm Dutch. We're not famous for food! We are famous for Heiniken though :tongue:.
  • caramel1920
    caramel1920 Posts: 271
    Well I'm a Louisiana girl and we have many: Boiled crawfish, shrimp, crabs...gumbo, beignets, red beans and rice (typically cooked on Mondays) and pretty much anything seafood, oh and I can't forget po-boys!!!!
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Corn-on-the-Cob.jpg

State-Fair-2010-104-300x225.jpg

jello-salad-630x472.jpg

can you guess where I'm from??? :laugh:

Nebraska? I was going to say corn and beef!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    My Hometown of Philly is obviously known for Cheesesteaks, but less known for Philly Pretzels, which I think is the hidden gem. There are no pretzels like Philly pretzels.

I love those pretzels! However, the last time I visited, I could not find them. Where'd all the vendors go? :-(
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Central Georgia:

Hmmm hard to say but maybe pulled pork, and peach's (peach ice cream, peach cobbler)

Definitely plenty of fried stuff.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Huevos rancheros, yummmm
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I live in Texas. We eat meat. And BBQs have rubs. Sauce is for dipping, not cooked on.

We also rarely see Texas Toast around here. I know of a BBQ chain in Georgia that serves Texas Toast with a saucy BBQ, but here in Texas, they just hand out stacks of Wonder bread with piles of meat. And pickles.