When will I finally Lose the Weight After Depo Provera?

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Just a little more "anecdata" which I know isn't scientific proof at all. I was on depo about 20 years ago and saw a definite weight gain with no change to my normal activity. I don't remember if I was eating more, but it was unusual enough that I complained to my gyno who offered to stop the shots. I liked the ease of it and just kept taking it, I guess for about 3 years until I was married and ready to try to have a baby. Over the course of that time I gained about 45-50 pounds.

Here I am 20 years later FINALLY getting that weight off. So I might be able to attribute the *gain* to the shot, but I can only attribute the *maintenance* of the gain to my lack of control over my eating and activity. Because once I got off the shot I swore I would never use depo or the pill again. Thankfully after you've had one baby they let you get an IUD and that didn't seem to affect my weight at all.
  • I have an appointment on Monday to get the Depo shot for the first time.. after reading this I'm kind of thinking about canceling, i was on the pills for about two years so i stopped taking them because they were too hard to keep up with… Im about 117 pounds right now and 5'2"… Ive never had trouble with weight gain and i live a very active life. Should i cancel the appointment?
  • I want to put in a word on the good side for Depo here. Depo does not work equally for everyone, and it's effects differ dramatically between users. I was on Depo for 2 years in high school and was going to the gym everyday, sometimes twice a day. I never gained a pound on it. I switched to the pill for a year, gained 15 pounds, and so switched back. However, when I got back on depo, I went off to college, where I was carb loading 2 or 3 times a day and spending hours sitting in front of my computer working. I have gained 30 pounds in about a year and a half.

Did depo cause this gain? no. Did it contribute to it by slowing my metabolism slightly? Yes. If you intend to get on Depo it is ESSENTIAL that you bump up your exercise and cut down your carbs. There are pros and cons to every form of birth control.
  • Honestly, Depo works differently for different people. I would suggest getting your shot (as a birth control method it really is one of the best) but keep an eye on your weight, and maybe add an extra workout into your weekly routine just to be safe. There are a lot of pros to Depo that if you message me we can talk about, but it does tend to slow your metabolism slightly and if you aren't careful can snowball into some serious weight gain.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    You know I was kind of thinking of doing the same post...Heres my story

My youngest was born 3/16/11 and I was put on the depo and was on it for almost for 2 years til last year a year ago 1/2/13 and all of last year I was still gaining weight. At first no I wasnt eating less and wasnt truly being too active besides for my job. But for a while I was eating fast food alot of lunch basically from Feb '13 til July '13....End of June I joined a 30 day challenge group on FB for the abs and started to eat healthier for lunch and dinner and heck even started to eat breakfast. I went on vacation end of July and didnt do much of anything for my weight til Sept of '13....I couldnt believe that I was still gaining weight { I thought I was eating at a deficit}. Joined this sight still gained topping out at 192. I realized I was getting alot of "empty calories" with my drinks from my coffee creamer to my wine in take. I cut back on alot of I normally drink and eat. Basically cut out virtually all sodas, only drink 3-4 tablespoons of creamer now instead of the usual 4-6 ozs of it. Drink about 10 ozs of wine 2xs or less a week now instead of my nightly 20zs or more. So to say that it took me over 9 months of coming off of the depo and eating at a deficit now I am finally losing weight
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    I have been on Depo since August of 2011 and have lost 50+ lbs. It isn't the Depo that makes you gain weight, unless you already had a weight issue to begin with. Your doctor should have explained that to you. I still get the shot and am still losing weight.

^This^ The depo injection itself doesn't make you gain weight.

What it does do though is increase your appetite, more food makes you gain weight, not the drug.

I've been on DP 4 years now and have lost weight and continue to lose. I would suggest you check with your Doc/OB/GYN and seek other birth control options.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    From what I've read, Depo is more likely to make you gain weight if you start off thin. So if you're heavy when you take it, you're less likely to gain weight. This is thought to be because they don't adjust the dosage based on weight, so a smaller person gets a more concentrated dose of the hormones.

Good luck. I have a friend who was on Depo for years. I know she struggled to lose weight. Not sure if it was the Depo or not. Google search it though, there's lots of information, including studies.
  • jennegan1
    I want to put in a word on the good side for Depo here. Depo does not work equally for everyone, and it's effects differ dramatically between users. I was on Depo for 2 years in high school and was going to the gym everyday, sometimes twice a day. I never gained a pound on it. I switched to the pill for a year, gained 15 pounds, and so switched back. However, when I got back on depo, I went off to college, where I was carb loading 2 or 3 times a day and spending hours sitting in front of my computer working. I have gained 30 pounds in about a year and a half.

Did depo cause this gain? no. Did it contribute to it by slowing my metabolism slightly? Yes. If you intend to get on Depo it is ESSENTIAL that you bump up your exercise and cut down your carbs. There are pros and cons to every form of birth control.
    [/quote

I agree I didnt gain any extra weight that I had with my youngest, I got up to 180-185 with her and thats where I was when I first started this sight. being off of it for 9 months. Jumped up to 192 then truly looked at my food and drink in take and realized it was my eating habits what really caused me to gain the weight back from after having my youngest
  • jennegan1
    From what I've read, Depo is more likely to make you gain weight if you start off thin. So if you're heavy when you take it, you're less likely to gain weight. This is thought to be because they don't adjust the dosage based on weight, so a smaller person gets a more concentrated dose of the hormones.

Good luck. I have a friend who was on Depo for years. I know she struggled to lose weight. Not sure if it was the Depo or not. Google search it though, there's lots of information, including studies.

Not necessarily a friend of mine whos a little shorter then I am was on it longer then I am and never gained any weight. She basically stayed at 130-135 lbs
  • I was on the shot for 3 years when I was younger and didn't experience weight gain. I was actually at my healthiest while on the shot. The only reason I stopped using the shot was because of the risk of bone loss with long term use. I guess each person is different.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I have been on Depo since August of 2011 and have lost 50+ lbs. It isn't the Depo that makes you gain weight, unless you already had a weight issue to begin with. Your doctor should have explained that to you. I still get the shot and am still losing weight.

In some women (I am one) progesterone only birth control can help facilitate weight gain... I figured this out for myself, when I gained back all my pregnancy weight (which was only 11 pounds) after being on the mini-pill (which is progesterone only just as the Depo shot is) while breastfeeding and eating right. I had all the same side effects on the mini-pill (weight gain and week long light periods every two weeks) as I did on the shot. I have been on the patch for years and have never had the massive increase in weight... When I first started on Depo, I was 127 within 3 months I was 155... I didn't eat THAT much and I walked everywhere...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Depo is the devil :devil:

It took me on a wild ride too. I never did get to my pre-depo weight after stopping it but I was very young. Good luck!

Oh god... Even when I was pregnant I was as much of an emotional wreck as I was on depo... I am usually calm and laid back for the most part... but that turned me into a she-b***h...
  • cnd8304
    cnd8304 Posts: 14
    I was on the shot for a little over a year. I gained about 25 lbs. I had my last shot in August 2010 and it wasn't until January of 2011 that I was able to feel like things were back in balance and was able to workout, eat right and ended up losing 65lbs. Everyone's body is different so it may take you longer/shorter for your body to get right. Just keep at it and keep working out and eating right and it will start to show. :flowerforyou:
  • I was on the depo from the age of 18, I'm now 26. I came off the depo 3 years ago for 1 month due to extreme tiredness and advise from my nurse to try a break. I had a period pretty much straight away. I then went back on the depo straight away as I didn't like the thought of my heavy periods returning. I was meant to have my depo shot in November last year when I cancelled and decided to try no birth control (it's not needed at the moment). I realised over the years I had been on the shot I had gone from weighing roughly 8st to now just short of 11 stone. I do not over eat nor do I sit around all day. I train 5 times a week with 3 blokes who certainly put me through my paces, I have a Personal trainer twice a week and I eat very well and measure my macros etc however I still gained especially more so this past year when I've ate my best ever. I naturally assumed my weight gain to be just getting older but 3 stone is crazy to gain for someone my size when I work so hard. I have now been diagnosed with PCOS which I have no idea if the depo had any input into. My nurse suggested the depo could have helped me gain weight as she weighed me every time I had the shot and went up a couple of KG each time. I'm now hoping the weight will also start to drop off as I do work hard and it sometimes feels like I work hard for nothing! Just another case of the depo not agreeing with someone but like others have said everyone is different but I certainly don't sit there gorging on bad foods so I can only put my finger on it being the depo. Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight after coming off this!
  • Omg girls I must tell you the depo was the worst thing ever!!!! Ok so I got pregnant had my baby and immediately started working out , got on the shot and struggled losing all my baby weight a year goes by and still no results I was dieting hard core running and exercising like crazy . I said f this im going on the birth control pills the mild ones ok literally a month goes by and I had lost 10 pounds . No exaggeration what so ever do not go on that depo shot not worth it!
  • florenceshreeve
    florenceshreeve Posts: 1 Member
    I know exactly what you are going through. I was always naturally athletic in build even after having my kids and got on the depo and gained 90 pounds very quickly which had never happened to me before ever. Good luck on your weight loss
  • ajbemine4ever27
    ajbemine4ever27 Posts: 75 Member
    Maybe wait till 3 months after your shot and continue your exercise routine, maybe at that days it will kick it in, coz i start having them last year and try to lose weight but that didn't happen after 3 to 4 months and after those months I did lose weight slowly but surely. then gained some of it last holiday, and try to get back on track. I think I am doing it well so, I don't know if I'm just lucky that I don't gained because of the shot but because of my own wanting to eat like a pig. lol and oh please take vitamin c while in Depo
  • Hello girls. I started depo when I was 15 cause of my irregular periods my mom knew how terrible I am at forgetting pills and the doctor decided to put me on depo. Worse mistake of my life. I use to weigh 115-120 and my height is 5'1 and I gained 50 pounds on it within a year I got off it when I was 16 years old my parents didn't want to take me off it and since I was a minor I couldn't just have them take me off it they needed to hear it from a parent. That pissed me off cause no matter what my parents wouldn't get me off it. I was unhappy I hated my body I wanted to cut my stomach off with a knife and since my parents would listen to me I held a knife to myself saying I would kill myself if they didn't take me off it that's how depressed I was. So they took me off it. I weigh 160-170 I haven't gained or lost and I'm 18 years old now and nothing works I don't have money to get a gym membership. I work out a lot run a lot and walk a lot I do 100 sit ups a day and nothing not even a single pound is lost so I decided to stop eating I only drink or I would eat an apple when I would get headaches and get dizzy. I haven't had normal periods since I got off that shot. I just want my body back I hate it. I don't have a regular doctor since I turned 18. My mom passed away before I turned 17 years old. I don't have a drivers license and I can't afford a bus I've been trying to get a job but no luck. I just want things to go back to normal.
  • mt74red
    mt74red Posts: 1 Member
    I read so many posts about the opinion Depo does not cause weight gain...I have to say I don't agree. I started Depo 5 months ago, first of all I had a period for 4 of those 5 months, I have gained 30 pounds. I have ALWAYS been thin, 120 - 125 pounds all my life - Im 40 now. No matter how I exercised or ate Ive always stayed within 5 pounds of my ideal weight. Being on Depo, not changing my diet or exercise routine I gained 15 pounds right away, than seeing I was gaining I cut my calories by 400 a day, I started working out and absolutely NOTHING happened but 15 more pounds! I keep expanding...mostly on my belly. I have always had a rock hard belly 24 - 26" waist, now its 36"!! The only thing that could be causing this is the Depo. My doctor warned me about weight gain, he said I would feel like eating all the time but should restrain myself. I have restrained myself, I have cut out carbs, sugars, I eat only lean meats and veggies and yogurt. I stay under 1000 calories a day and I walk 10 - 18 miles a week and do Yoga. Before Depo I did not exercise and averaged 1200 - 2000 calories a day. So please explain to me why this is happening? If Depo is not doing it what is?
  • sarahj87x
    sarahj87x Posts: 1
    This is so disheartening. I was on depo at 19 for 2 years and lost weight, loved it. Went back on at 25 after my last child and have gained 2 stone it might not seem much but two babies in 21 months took its toll already. I am starving constantly, I feel really crappy reading this ???? I'm due my next depo in a week or so I think I'm going to avoid all contraception (handled by me anyway) my lovely other half can deal with it. I wish he could understand I don't *want* to keep putting on weight and eating so much. Good luck everyone trying to fight this *kitten* birth control x