The 2 sides to MFP

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    The truth is that if your friend is "too crestfallen" to try a weight loss site over harmless chit chat and probably fake pictures, he has other issues he has to deal with. He should really see someone about his insecurity.

He was crestfallen, a little disappointed, no longer motivated to join MFP

Who should I suggest he should see?

Show him this it should raise his spirits.
    krispy-kreme-bacon-cheeseburger.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    I was praising MFP to a friend the other day, explaining how good it was and how useful I had found it (He had noticed that I had lost weight and asked me about it), especially the support from everyone on these forums. He is very overweight and so self concious that he is reluctant to go to the gym, or even to weight watchers etc.

I explained that the ethic on MFP was that nobody judges and that everyone is equal including the very overweight - motivating stuff!

So he takes the mouse and clicks around the site. This is where it gets awkward. Clicks on 'Recent Posts' then on Chit Chat where most of the recent posts seemed to be from. here's what he saw:

Rate the person above you

What's sexy about the person above you?

The person above - part 4

Dear attractive men over 30

Who is your celebrity crush

Cutest thing about the person above you - part 7

Ladies, who would you rather have a one night stand with?

Hotest guy on MFP

etc etc

It was a little embarrassing to be honest. Seemed all that anyone was interested in on that side of MFP was how men look. I'm not overweight but I get an inferiority complex on there! - I can only imagine how someone with self-worth issues must feel! My friend went from excited and motivated, to crest-fallen and resigned in just a few clicks!

Polar opposites:
    The support, advice, motivation of most of the MFP groups. Everyone is equal
    The lustful, frenzied, man-crazy posts on Chit chat, where how someone looks is the only thing that seems to matter. You're rated on how sexy you look

I subscribe to the POV that if you don't like something, don't look, so I'm not suggesting that people shouldnt write what they want; just seems a pity to me that this part of MFP is inextricably linked to everything else.

I'm sure it was said ( I didn't read any responses ) Maybe he should have looked at the support threads, or the introduce yourself threads.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    I don't find them useful at all so I don't go there.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    The problem isn't those threads, or topics, or that they get so much play on MFP...the problem is that someone made the "effort" to log into MFP, found those threads, then got discouraged. It has nothing to do with the threads themselves, nor does it have anything to do with those who participated in those threads, the problem lays squarely on the shoulders of the person who got upset about them.

Self conscience or not, if you're going to let something that was posted on the internet, in a section you never have to visit unless you want to visit, if you let that deter you...then you weren't serious to begin with. I have met and know too many people with the "I can't" or "I tried, but it didn't work for me" attitude that want to complain and whine about their weight or situation, but never want to do anything about it that goes beyond taking some magic pill. The only true motivation a person needs is themselves, because without first believing in yourself, you won't believe what anyone else says either. You need to want to be motivated or else it's all in vain.

Veteran: You want to read the forum?
    Noob: I think I'm entitled.
    Veteran: You want to read the forums?
    Noob: I want motivation!!
    Veteran: You CAN'T HANDLE THE MOTIVATION!! We live on a site that has fit people. And most of those fit people have worked hard to get where they are. They want to be known as sexy! Who's gonna tell them their sexy? You? They have a greater opinion of themselves than you can possibly imagine...they worked hard to get where they are. The cried, they poured sweat, they fasted, they ate more to weigh less, they cut calories. The truth is, they know their BMR and their TDEE, they know the dedication it takes to lose 100 lbs and feel good about who they are. You don't want the motivation, because deep down you know those magic pill infomercials are solid crap, and you want ripped, you NEED ripped abs, and you know there's only one way to get them. Those Chit-Chat people use words like sexy, cute, hotness because they've earned it. You use them as way to cop out. They neither have the time, nor the inclination to put forth effort to help motivate someone who is looking for an excuse to stay un-motivated. They would rather you log out and move on. Otherwise, I suggest you dig deep down, realize that you want to lose the weight, find the motivational threads, log your calories, lift some weights and jump on a treadmill and thank MFP for allowing me to be accountable to myself and to others.

When you decide to get serious about something, then you will let nothing stand in the way of your goal.

If you believe you can't do something, then you're probably right.

Post on Mr. and Mrs. Hotness, keep those threads going Ms. Firm Butt and Mr. Cut Abs... because one day, one day soon...I will be among you....oh yes...one day MFP will be writing long blogs about my awesomeness, but for the time being, I will toot my own horn, because I am worthy of some tootage! Ok...not sure that came out as good in print as it did in my head.

Well said, mister!
    We need a "like" button. XD
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Blah- the forums mostly turn into fights......As a member for 2.5 years, I have noticed a shift in the forums. When I first started, the MFP forums were a lot more positive, less arguing, less trolling, and more of the health/fitness, nutrition, success stories, ect. Chit-chat section has taken over. I'm not saying its bad- I have even posted in there once in a while when I'm bored, but don't feel it is my main purpose while using the site. I usually don't use the forums anymore if I have questions- I will research online, or ask my friends because of the few people who have nothing better to do than stir up something. I guess as a member of this site, I try to be positive, encouraging, and a good role model to others who have just started this journey. :)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    The truth is that if your friend is "too crestfallen" to try a weight loss site over harmless chit chat and probably fake pictures, he has other issues he has to deal with. He should really see someone about his insecurity.

If a website has him down, then he has bigger problems

His weight has him down, his life too I reckon. I thought the website might help to start to change things for him, not to be

Of course he has bigger problems
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I was praising MFP to a friend the other day, explaining how good it was and how useful I had found it (He had noticed that I had lost weight and asked me about it), especially the support from everyone on these forums. He is very overweight and so self concious that he is reluctant to go to the gym, or even to weight watchers etc.

I explained that the ethic on MFP was that nobody judges and that everyone is equal including the very overweight - motivating stuff!

So he takes the mouse and clicks around the site. This is where it gets awkward. Clicks on 'Recent Posts' then on Chit Chat where most of the recent posts seemed to be from. here's what he saw:

Rate the person above you

What's sexy about the person above you?

The person above - part 4

Dear attractive men over 30

Who is your celebrity crush

Cutest thing about the person above you - part 7

Ladies, who would you rather have a one night stand with?

Hotest guy on MFP

etc etc

It was a little embarrassing to be honest. Seemed all that anyone was interested in on that side of MFP was how men look. I'm not overweight but I get an inferiority complex on there! - I can only imagine how someone with self-worth issues must feel! My friend went from excited and motivated, to crest-fallen and resigned in just a few clicks!

Polar opposites:
    The support, advice, motivation of most of the MFP groups. Everyone is equal
    The lustful, frenzied, man-crazy posts on Chit chat, where how someone looks is the only thing that seems to matter. You're rated on how sexy you look

I subscribe to the POV that if you don't like something, don't look, so I'm not suggesting that people shouldnt write what they want; just seems a pity to me that this part of MFP is inextricably linked to everything else.

For the most part I just ignore those kinds of threads. There are many other more motivational, supportive and informative threads on here for those seeking them. I hope your friend wasn't discouraged and decides to join!
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Blah- the forums mostly turn into fights......As a member for 2.5 years, I have noticed a shift in the forums. When I first started, the MFP forums were a lot more positive, less arguing, less trolling, and more of the health/fitness, nutrition, success stories, ect. Chit-chat section has taken over. I'm not saying its bad- I have even posted in there once in a while when I'm bored, but don't feel it is my main purpose while using the site. I usually don't use the forums anymore if I have questions- I will research online, or ask my friends because of the few people who have nothing better to do than stir up something. I guess as a member of this site, I try to be positive, encouraging, and a good role model to others who have just started this journey. :)

What an amazing loss! Well done.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member

^^ This.

"who should I suggest he see?" Are you trolling???

If a couple of posts that he never has to click on have gotten him "crestfallen, a little disappointed, no longer motivated to join MFP", it's not MFP's fault. He needs to work on what's going on in him.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

he probably shouldn't have his own keys to the internet.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member

His weight has him down, his life too I reckon. I thought the website might help to start to change things for him, not to be

Of course he has bigger problems

Ok in all honesty...I would highly suggest he not use the website and restrict himself to only using a phone for at least 3 months. He can still add friends but he needs to focus solely on changing his eating habits and adding exercise into his daily routine. He doesnt need other distractions
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    This place is what we make of it. I don't understand why your friend chose to start out looking in Chit-Chat when his other choices were things like Success Stories and Motivation, or even General Diet and Weight Loss Help. If he doesn't give MFP a chance because of this, I have to say, it's kind of on him for being so judgmental himself. He picked on odd, OFF-TOPIC corner of the forum to start and is going to base his opinion on that? Sounds to me like someone looking for excuses. I didn't even look at the kind of posts in the Chit-Chat area for my first couple weeks here.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Its pretty obvious that he was looking for a reason to rationalize that he was not ready to get serious about the weight loss. The recent threads section gave him his reason.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    SO i like to be childish sometimes, it makes me happy.

I like to work hard, it makes me happy.

I like to learn about nutrition and exercise, it makes me happy.

I like to look at beautiful bodies and aspire to be like them, it makes me happy.

I like to track my food, sometimes .

anyway...i like a lot about this site.

i will do what i want.

mmmkthxbye
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Why did he go straight to the chit-chat part and not the motivation and support, success stories, fitness and exercise, or introduction sections?

Just speaking for myself of course, but I’m not here for chit-chat. Of course conversation and inspiration are welcome. But I’m here to help get healthy and hopefully lose more weight.

If your friend is put off by the least relevant section of the forum, then perhaps he is just not ready to be here? Not saying that’s the case, but I’m just wondering if it wasn’t a good excuse for him to decide this place wasn’t for him.

As a person who is very over weight, I know I made excuses as to why things wouldn’t work to help me. They were all excuses, but I wanted to be convinced so I was.

Hopefully, he’ll give it a chance!

I agree with this 100%.... tell him to get back on and read the other threads, the ones with before and after pix. those threads motivate me so much that on days when i dnt feel like working out i look at all the pix and all of the sudden i find enuff energy to workout, even if its on 15 minutes. i make it the best 15 min of my day. Also he shud let those threads discourage him for the simple fact that its the INTERENET. NO one will know what he looks like unless he uploads a picture of himself. And he should see a shrink about his insecurities. i saw one once and i helped. *true story*
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member

Show him this it should raise his spirits.
    krispy-kreme-bacon-cheeseburger.jpg

I'm starting to think he is right not to join
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    [ duplicate post ]
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Oh COME ON! You know the F in MFP stands for "FLIRTING" not "FITNESS". I don't care what the logo says.

Word.

The End.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member

Why do you think there is something wrong with me for pointing out the difference between the mentality of those on the main groups and those on the 'rate me' threads?

I don't think that you can make a broad sweeping generalization on the "mentality" of everyone who participates in what is just a fun thread.

Again, some people- they are just here to try and score someone.

The vast majority of us- just like to have fun once in awhile. Doesn't mean I am a 16 y.o. looking to hook up with a dude on this site because I decide to comment in a thread of that nature.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun on the chit chat, of course you should. Im also not saying that there shouldn't be those type of posts - rate me etc

All Im saying is that as a first impression - MFP shouldnt be as he saw it - not sure what the answer is though

If I visited a cycling forum and the first few topics were: Name your sexiest cyclist. Best shorts that make your bum look nice. Do cyclists make better lovers? etc, then I would be looking for another cycling forum regardless of how good that one might be. If those topics were sepearte from the main part of the cycle forum then that would be better wouldnt it?

If someone coming onto MFP did the same then they would be missing out on a real good site
    I have an solution to your problem.
    You and your friend should create your own fitness site and it can operate around the guidelines that you create.

You're welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Its pretty obvious that he was looking for a reason to rationalize that he was not ready to get serious about the weight loss. The recent threads section gave him his reason.

^^ This.