Fear of getting rid of "fat clothes".

2»

Replies

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    I'm kind of jumping the gun here, since I've just barely begun my journey to a new healthier me, but I feel like this stupid, silly fear could get in the way.

When I start to think about being many sizes smaller and getting to buy new clothes, the idea of this excites me. However, then I begin to think about all the clothes I have now that I will have to get rid of. For the most part, this isn't an issue.. but there's certain things like a few nice, expensive coats and dresses I have that I fear having to get rid of! Especially since I just barely got one of these coats for Christmas. (It's a Barbour jacket that I got on sale for $150, but they usually run $360... it's something I don't want to have to let go of :( ).

Is there a way to combat this train of thought? Or has anyone else experienced similar thoughts to mine? I know my family would be super proud of me for losing weight, more so than still being able to fit into a jacket, but in the back of my mind I just get this nagging feeling that I'll be "letting my father down" for no longer being able to fit into the fancy, expensive jacket he got me. Argh!

Since you just got the jacket, there's still time to exchange it for a smaller size! I got rid of each size I lost as I went along and donated the clothing to charity...made me feel better knowing someone who needed the clothing was getting it. A lot of the stuff I got rid of were very expensive! Now, I only keep the size I'm wearing in my closet because I'm determined not to gain the weight back! Think positively about the outcome and you'll feel less stressed about getting rid of the clothes.

I actually don't think it's exchangeable because it was the only one on sale for that price. But I will definitely keep the altering option in mind. :)

For most of my other clothes, I honestly can't wait to say 'good riddance!' to them. And you all give me such inspiration.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Barbour clothes are made in my old home town, South Shields in the UK, I know they re-proof and repair on site. It might be worth dropping them a line when you're ready to have it altered.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    I would either alter them and what you can have altered to stay the same type of item, see if it can be made into something else awesome! And the rest of it, why not donate them to a women's charity. I am sure they would really appriciate some newish (and not crappy like most donnation) items.
    There is also always the option of doing a clothing swap. I know my friends and I do them and it's awesome to see stuff that you like go to people that you know will treat em right....

However, I will not lie... nothing feels better then burning a piece or two.... so cathartic and good closure... you willnever see it again!