Vegan Keto Cauliflower "Ice Cream"

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    chappelle_what.gif?w=500
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    How can one be vegan and keto?
  • Way easier way to make vegan ice cream is just to freeze some bananas and blend them up...it's pretty close in consistency then add whatever you want (that's vegan, not ghee) for flavor. I don't know about cauliflower though..that sounds a little nasty, but who knows.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Ghee is clarified butter. It's not vegan. Maybe you could sub that out for coconut oil or something to make it fully vegan.
    I'm guessing the vegans around here already know about and use the vegan alternatives, as I do when I prepare food for my vegan brother. But you certainly have my apologies if I've offended. I'll edit the OP so no one accidentally consumes animals.
    I'm not offended at all, and I'd assume that anyone who is vegan knows not to eat ghee. It was more of a "wtf, that's so not vegan??" thing on my part, although it would irritate me if I were vegan and someone made this for me. I'm vegetarian and I've had people make me dishes before that "don't have meat, just some bacon bits." *headdesk*

• killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Lol some of you completely missed the joke
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    How can one be vegan and keto?

magic?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yes, it's really a thing: Vanilla Blueberry Cauliflower Ice Cream

Ingredients:
    -Whole cauliflower
    -Stevia drops
    -1 TB coconut oil (or ghee if you're not vegan)
    -Lemon
    -150g Blueberries
    -Double Shot of coconut, quinoa, or almond milk (or milk sub of your choice)
    -Vanilla pod
    -Pinch of Himalayan salt

Boil the cauliflower until it's super soft. Drain off liquid. Add ghee and scraped vanilla bean seeds. Squeeze juice of half a lemon. Grate in some zest for added flavor. Blend in food processor/blender. During blending, add in enough milk to give it a velvety smooth texture. Add 3-7 drops of stevia based on taste. Add salt. Blend again. Place in container and refrigerate taking it out every couple of hours and blending it again for super smooth texture. Alternatively, let it cool and place in ice cream machine.

***I've taken some liberties with the directions to make them a little more clear and remove some errors.***

Recipe Credit: The "DirtyFilthyHealthy" blog. And thank you to my awesome friend Travis for making me aware that this is actually a thing.

Original blog post:
    https://dirtyfilthyhealthy.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/i-scream-ice-cream-made-of-cauliflower-say-whaaaattt/

Edited to reduce the offensiveness of this recipe.

RC7Sger.jpg
    joey-not-even-sorry.gif
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Ghee is clarified butter. It's not vegan. Maybe you could sub that out for coconut oil or something to make it fully vegan.
    I'm guessing the vegans around here already know about and use the vegan alternatives, as I do when I prepare food for my vegan brother. But you certainly have my apologies if I've offended. I'll edit the OP so no one accidentally consumes animals.
    I'm not offended at all, and I'd assume that anyone who is vegan knows not to eat ghee. It was more of a "wtf, that's so not vegan??" thing on my part, although it would irritate me if I were vegan and someone made this for me. I'm vegetarian and I've had people make me dishes before that "don't have meat, just some bacon bits." *headdesk*

A lot of bacon bits are vegetarian: McCormack Bac'n Pieces, Durkee Bacon Bits, and Betty Crocker Bac-os all are.
  • ndj1979
    two things that should never be mentioned in the same sentence...cauliflower and ice cream ...
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    I don't think I would ever be so desperate to stay under my calories that I'd be willing to try a cauliflower "ice cream". I'd rather work off a scoop of the real stuff.

(but maybe this is why I have 20 lbs to lose!)
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    HOW IS THIS POST STILL EVEN UP? Are there no moderators on this site!!!!!!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »

No kidding! I'm so angry I could spit. I mean, I'm so offended by the OP ruining both cauliflower and ice cream, and tricking me into drinking ghee! Friggin' GHEE for cripe's sake!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Hey! Leave the GHEE alone! It ain't the GHEE's fault. ;)
  • ndj1979

No kidding! I'm so angry I could spit. I mean, I'm so offended by the OP ruining both cauliflower and ice cream, and tricking me into drinking ghee! Friggin' GHEE for cripe's sake!

MFP operates in opposite land when it comes to locking stuff down...

anything with pseudo science, detoxes, clean eating, et al is allowed to continue forever..

post something helpful, have it made controversial by certain posters, and the whole thing gets locked down..

go figure...
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

MFP operates in opposite land when it comes to locking stuff down...

anything with pseudo science, detoxes, clean eating, et al is allowed to continue forever..

post something helpful, have it made controversial by certain posters, and the whole thing gets locked down..

go figure...
    Why is this supposed to be locked down? I didn't say anything about any psuedo science. Keto vegans have to eat too! I was just trying to be supportive by offering options. And no one said anything about Jesus yet. Wait....oops.

But thanks for your input.
    tumblr_mrcu64VF3e1szf0s6o1_500.gif

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Is there no end to the cauliflower substitutions? I like cauliflower. A lot. I eat it in things like mashed cauliflower, and cauliflower pizza casseroles. They are delicious, but they are cauliflower and don't pretend to be anything but. But cauliflower ice cream? No! nononononono. No.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    I won't knock it till I try it. Sounds interesting!