How do I stop being "Skinny Fat?"

Replies

• MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member

Sounds like a great idea. I'll lose so much weight because I'll literally be vomiting after every meal. XD
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    doing a bazillion

No need to tell her how to run her love life and whether it should involve Latin lovers or not.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Lift heavy things and put them down then repeat. Do that for an hour or two 3-4 times a week and wave bye bye to the jiggle.
    5330a7d3-18e9-4a9f-99e4-1162767781c2_zpsyx1j5fqy.jpg
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    doing a bazillion

No need to tell her how to run her love life and whether it should involve Latin lovers or not.

Always say yes to Latin lovers. :smile:
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    MaiLinna wrote: »

I dunno, I just feel gross. And I look at all these pretty dresses and cute outfits I wanna wear but I know my stomach's going to just stick out and everyone's gonna call me pregnant.

If your belly is sticking out and people are going to call you pregnant, then you have a bunch of fat. I would be focusing on your calorie deficit until you lose your gut. Plus, your diet kind of stinks ATM. Work on the fat, deficit, and diet. Don't bother worrying about muscles because you aren't close to being there for so many reasons that I just can't even.

Most importantly OP, work on your attitude. You have already demonstrated your lack of motivation with all of the excuses. Weights sound dangerous, you are too broke, you have mental problems, you have family issues, poor people are fat, and on and on and on. Control yourself.

P.S. How in the world do you have a pregnant looking belly with a food budget of only 20$ per week? I am really curious to hear what excuse you have for this.
  • senecarr
    MaiLinna wrote: »

I dunno, I just feel gross. And I look at all these pretty dresses and cute outfits I wanna wear but I know my stomach's going to just stick out and everyone's gonna call me pregnant.

If your belly is sticking out and people are going to call you pregnant, then you have a bunch of fat. I would be focusing on your calorie deficit until you lose your gut. Plus, your diet kind of stinks ATM. Work on the fat, deficit, and diet. Don't bother worrying about muscles because you aren't close to being there for so many reasons that I just can't even.

Most importantly OP, work on your attitude. You have already demonstrated your lack of motivation with all of the excuses. Weights sound dangerous, you are too broke, you have mental problems, you have family issues, poor people are fat, and on and on and on. Control yourself.

P.S. How in the world do you have a pregnant looking belly with a food budget of only 20$ per week? I am really curious to hear what excuse you have for this.
    You do know that in developed countries, poverty and obesity are strongly correlated? That she has a limited budget and might be overweight isn't a contradiction.
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2015
    You do know that in developed countries, poverty and obesity are strongly correlated? That she has a limited budget and might be overweight isn't a contradiction.
    You know that in developed countries, poverty does not equal living off of 20$ week on food? That is because in developed countries they tend to subsidize the poor peoples food intake. You know this, right? Poverty in developed countries with an obese population is directly caused by bad high caloric subsidized food choices and lack of exercise.
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    You know that in developed countries, poverty does not equal living off of 20$ week on food? That is because in developed countries they tend to subsidize the poor peoples food intake. You know this, right? Poverty in developed countries with an obese population is directly caused by bad high caloric subsidized food choices and lack of exercise.
    For the US, SNAP would typically provide $29 a week in assistance, assuming she lives in a stable enough environment to apply and that she isn't in an eligiblelity gap.
    And yes, low micro nutrient, high calorie, low satiety food being cheap is a part of that. It also has to do with a huge number of other class factors, such as education, stress, disability, mental illness, etc. Acting like someone can't afford to be overweight while poor seems a little harsh.
    I'm sorry I singled your comment out, I just feel a little bad the OP is being called out for excuses everyone questions. I'm not sure how much challenging her on them is helpful.
    Also, the back and forth discussion leaves me wondering how much pregnant belly is real and how much is perceived.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I don't think you can be low budget high calorie and vegan. Perhaps it's possible, but you'd really have to try.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I think the "pregnant" belly is probably in the OP's mind. A photo or some stats might help.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Skinny-fat is a tough place to be in.
  • moriyama2015
    moriyama2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Eat well / healthily. Do yoga. Find you & love yourself.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    OP, that's not a pregnant belly. You can get that belly by needing to poo. Look up the United Way webpage near you (usually 211cityname) and you'll find resources for many of your problems, including treatment, food insecurity, health insurance or no cost medical clinics, and much more.

Per my doctors, due to the annoying number of minor and more serious health conditions that I have, I'm not supposed to lift weights. I understand the fear of injury. Do some reading on the links people gave you for using your body weight; you can go to the library and get yoga, pilates, or even arthritis friendly (basically, nearly impossible to hurt yourself) work outs to try.

Not everyone has the motivation to follow a strict lifting program, and that's ok. I do believe you'll see some results you're happy enough with from swimming (you'd probably get a free Y membership) and other exercises. You may not get your ideal body or build the amount of muscle that you would like, but that's ok. Manage your expectations and do what you can.

From a fellow vegan, look into red lentils. They are a little pricier (but still not expensive) than regular lentils, but I think they're more versatile than other flavors. Beans and rice can become your new best friend and gives you millions of recipes to choose from. It's absolutely healthy to eat a lot of beans and rice.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    It's hard to tell from the photos but how's your posture?

Some people just say mean things, perhaps your mom is like that. If you started looking more fit, she might just find something else about you to comment on.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    mandalynne wrote: »
    I used to be scared of weight lifting.. then I dislocated my knee and learned that the best way to AVOID injury is to strength train. I love lifting, it's the best way to change your body, feeling strong is amazing and it doesn't take a lot to get started! Grab a couple sets of dumbells at Walmart, if you are on a budget, and start there. Squat with weights, lunges with weights, work biceps, triceps, you can do core exercises with them too. You don't have to spend a lot on a big weight set to get started.

What size dumbell would you recommend for a newbie?
  • senecarr
    @MaiLinna
    It sounds like you have a lot of issues that are going on, and possibly some abusive or near abusive family ties. I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope moving has helped you mentally. Please consider that when people on here say you're making excuses, it isn't from the same kind of place - people here genuinely want to see you do better and some may be frustrated that all they can do is advice, no one can make you do the suggestions but you.
    Obviously there is a lot of advice thrown around here, and acting on a lot of it isn't going to happen in the next 24 hours, as eager as everyone is to see you call all the places, sign up for all the things, buy and cook all the foods. Do what you can as you can and let us know.
  • MaiLinna
    Yeah, I suppose I really didn't take that stuff into account. I have a habit of constantly arguing back even if I agree (I have a whole folder full of bookmarks from this thread.)

Sorry. :c
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    @MaiLinna
    It sounds like you have a lot of issues that are going on, and possibly some abusive or near abusive family ties. I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope moving has helped you mentally. Please consider that when people on here say you're making excuses, it isn't from the same kind of place - people here genuinely want to see you do better and some may be frustrated that all they can do is advice, no one can make you do the suggestions but you.
    Obviously there is a lot of advice thrown around here, and acting on a lot of it isn't going to happen in the next 24 hours, as eager as everyone is to see you call all the places, sign up for all the things, buy and cook all the foods. Do what you can as you can and let us know.

Cosigned, from a mom who would never say anything ugly to her daughter

• MaiLinna
    I'll admit it. There's been abuse. I'm 24 and I constantly question everything I do. I wasn't allowed to eat what I wanted, go to college, get a job, learn how to drive, work out (which is why I'm really sad I couldn't bring my weights because I hid them. They were sort of an "Eff you I'll do what I want,") use the telephone (I actually have glossophobia and telephobia,) go out with my friends, and so many other things. This is my first time out in the world and I'm really overwhelmed.

I'm making excuses because I'm scared. I'm scared to go to a gym with people I have to talk to. I'm scared to call a clinic. I have a resume, if you can call it that, and I'm terrified of turning it in and possibly getting phone calls for interviews AND THEN doing said interviews. My boyfriend is literally holding my hand and teaching me how to do such basic things I didn't realize I didn't know. I'm blessed to have him. He says my "belly" is all in my head and I'm beautiful and perfect the way I am but I just don't know. I feel misshapen.