April 2016 Running Challenge

Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
April showers bring cooler runners. Hopefully the weather is good for everyone and you know what that means? Time for running. And let this challenge be your motivation. This is your virtual running group to keep you accountable and enjoy a virtual coffee with your fellow runners after you run. Make new friends and learn a few things.

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the March 2016 Running Challenge which can be found at: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10344092/march-2016-running-challenge

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 200 miles. Don't let my high (or low) goal intimidate you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? If you are new to running, set a low goal. (You can also log your miles in km's if you choose.)

You can set your goal now but wait until Friday April 1st to log your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

After you run, come in here and post what you did. Keep a running tally of what you did this month, and interact with the others. Many folks come in here and chat it up even on their rest days or while recouping from injury. This is a very social group and we talk about many things to include running. Very friendly bunch here so don't be afraid to say hi (even if this is your first time). Talk about a recent race or one coming up. Ask questions, provide answers, or just learn. Participation is what makes this group successful.

Not quite sure how to log your runs, follow what many other people are doing. Even look at last month's thread that I posted above.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    4/1- Rest day (posted a day early)

0/60 (Probably should have a more ambitious goal, but adding a mile per week average from my March goal is good enough. In May maybe I'll go for broke)
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm in. Totalled my planned runs for April and it's a little scary for me! Even with a week of lower mileage, I'm supposed to do 70.6km. So my goal will be 60km to allow some wiggle room if I need it!!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    I'm in for 65 miles again, the same as last month. I don't want to push any harder this month, just to let my body get used to this level, but I do want to try to be more regular rather than having to catch up all the time like I did in March. I know I was ill and that's why, so I guess my goal is actually not to get ill. We'll see how that goes given that I work with small children... :grimace:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I'll go 130 this month with another half lined up the 24.

Yea! Loving another month running and learning with everyone!

Thanks again @Stoshew71
  • MNLittleFinn
    I'm in for 65 miles again, the same as last month. I don't want to push any harder this month, just to let my body get used to this level, but I do want to try to be more regular rather than having to catch up all the time like I did in March. I know I was ill and that's why, so I guess my goal is actually not to get ill. We'll see how that goes given that I work with small children... :grimace:

Not getting ill is a good goal. After 9 years working with kids, I think my immune system is nearly impregnable
  • MNLittleFinn
    @Elise4270 keep rocking it, your mileage and shoe selection are awesome.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    I have been wanting to get back into running and this is a great way to do it! So glad i spotted this in the forums. Count me in! Since I am just getting back into it, my goal will be 60.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    I'll go for the same goal as March, 70 Miles.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    January goal was 33 miles, I ran 42. February goal was 45 miles, ran 48. March goal was 52 miles, ran 71. So I had already set my goal in Garmin Connect as 70 miles for April. But I just went in and rolled it back to 60.

Reason being that I think I'm having a sciatica flare up and will most likely miss my whole first weekend of running in April. Sigh. I'm trying to do to the right thing and not make things worse but it's hard! I had some back pain and then pain started in the back of my left leg. It's gotten worse despite not running Tue/Wed/Thurs. I'm confused because usually it's been my right side affected but this doesn't feel like a muscle strain in my leg. I have a shooting pain in the leg when putting weight on my left foot. So I'll treat it as coming from my sciatic nerve for now and see if it resolves.

@HealthierRayne Welcome to the group :) I'm still pretty new myself.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    I'm going with a very moderate goal of 45 miles in April. I have four races coming up over the next five weeks that will already account for over 16 of those miles, but there will be lots of short runs and recovery time between races. I still haven't quite figured out this whole goal-setting thing, yet, either. Maybe I need to sit down and figure out an actual running plan (and stick with it) for my time between now and training for my September half.
  • willrun4pancakes
    willrun4pancakes Posts: 12 Member
    60 miles for April!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    This is my first month at it, and I don't really have a baseline to go off, so I'm going to say 25 miles for April! :smile: Thank you to @Stoshew71 for leading this group, I'm really glad I found it and can't wait to be a part of the team!
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    I'm just going to count my running miles, and my goal for April is 25 miles. I would do more, but I have final exams this month. Hopefully I can go much higher for May and the rest of the year!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    What the heck, I'll join too. :smiley:

Thanks for setting this up for us all @Stoshew71!

Looking at the calendar this months mileage will not seem all that much higher than March despite the upcoming weeks being part of increased mileage as part of more base building. Granted, I do have 3 half marathons coming up in this month but there is no taper for those, they are just part of weekly training so I can't blame those.:smile:

The training calendar says 167 miles. Last month I did 157. Last month my goal was 150... so... shooting for 160 miles this month.:smile:
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Lordy, I have no idea how much I'll run this month! I'm going to keep it at a conservative 50, I think (but secretly I'm hoping for 80).
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks, once again, for all you do for us!
    @WhatMeRunning - Hahahaha!

I was going to say 125, but I think I will shoot for 130 to match @Elise4270. Since there are 5 Saturdays for long runs, culminating with a HM on the 30th...I think I'll get there.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    karllundy wrote: »
    Since there are 5 Saturdays for long runs, culminating with a HM on the 30th...I think I'll get there.
    Aha! That's why my April mileage goal seems lower than I somewhat expected, I have a half marathon on 5/1 and am resting that 5th Saturday (4/30). So I'm one long run short for the month. I was really confuzzled for a bit about what was causing it to not increase much over last month when this month should be a lot more effort. :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm going to go with 50 miles. I'll have to work my way back to 75 miles
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    January and February was for me about getting back to jogging 5km. March and April was meant to be moving on to 10k. So I am one month ahead of target.

I will concentrate on getting in an extra run each day this month, which means running consecutive days (and was the point where I hurt myself in 2014)

So goals this month are:

1. 18 runs
    2. 115km total
    3. 4 runs a week
    4. quickest 5km of 2016
    5. quickest 10km of 2016
    6. 11 km long run
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm in. Aiming for 110K this month.
    Wishing for sun and nice temperatures here up north. More outside runs less indoor tracks and treadmills.

exercise.png