Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    4/1 - 3.5 miles on indoor track + weights/abs

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

But on the other hand, I did get a new puppy two weeks ago (proudly bragging a little through my profile pic)! Time spent with her has meant less time running. Can't wait till she is mature enough to get in on the action!

Your puppy is adorable! Good luck with her!

For all of those starting April on a rest day, I am doing the same thing, thanks to what might turn out to be a chilly, damp 15K tomorrow morning. The 15K is mostly down and back along West River Drive (AKA Martian Luther King Drive) that runs along the Schuylkill River in Philly. Yesterday, I learned that my grad-school alma mater (Northeastern University) will be racing the University of Pennsylvania in their first regatta on the Schuylkill River at the same time the race is going on. The distraction of the extra happenings on the water and the potential to cheer on NU from a distance may help me get through what might otherwise be a pretty miserable race. The push to get through the race for some pretty awesome chocolate fondue waiting for me at the finish line will also help. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Gah! Starting the month with a rest day!!!

You gonna April fools us on that?
    LOL!:lol: I wish! I feel good enough to run today but will respect the rest day. I've learned my lessons about not resting in the past. Not wishing to relearn them all over again.

I momentarily considered posting some crazy mileage as an April Fool's but decided otherwise. I also considered saying I broke my leg or something but also thought better of that. Your idea is better than either of those. The only problem is, today really is a rest day so if I run then I am sabotaging my training plan!:grimace: The joke would be on me!

I should call today a rest day too. But.... I really feel like running. And it's in the 50's today. I know I'm not recovered, and slightly dehydrated. Tomorrow is the group run, and since I had such a bad experience last week, I'm tempted to bail on the while idea of group running. Which tells me to take the rest day and run with the group. Or, (I think), @MobyCarp mentioned it may not be a fit for me if they are always running my race pace. I'm just stuck in the middle today.

I haven't even outlined April's running plan yet. Looming doc appointment the 11th. And I'd hate to make plans and have to abandon them for his plans. So I hesitate.

In the spirit of April fools day- tomorrow is my birthday. :smiley: Sounds like a good reason to bail on the group run and sleep in.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Thinking of getting these: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/air-zoom-pegasus-32-flash-running-shoe/pid-10338513/pgid-11222303 I wear size 6.5 and finding my size is a pain. I already own a pair of Pegasus but they are :o women's size 8 because the store didn't sell people McNugget men's shoes....be nice to own a men's pair and the price is great
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    I need some help before I can move forward into April and feel comfortable. Last Saturday was my last run, did 7.36 total on the treadmill. That mileage was a PR and part of my training plan. The gluteus medius injury that I've been working on has pretty much resolved BUT Saturday's treadmill run seems to have aggravated a new problem. I have taken this entire week off of everything and the soreness/pain is gone. The PT had told me that even though I backed down to running only 4 days a week, I'm increasing mileage, swimming, a little biking, and it's all just taking a toll. So for this week, I've done nothing except stretching.

Here's where I need help...I've decided that my training plan is too aggressive for my current ability. But I'm only 6 weeks out for my first half. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run of 8 miles but I haven't run at all this week and 8 miles will be a PR for me. I don't know how to move forward to the half, stay mindful of my current true ability, and minimize the potential for more injury. Because CLEARLY I'm not doing it right. I don't know how to tell if I have the proper base mileage to be setting the goals I've been aiming for. I go slow. So slow, that if you check Strava, my min/mile is ridiculously slow. I don't know what to do at this point.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Elise4270 - I'm torn on the whole group run thing. First, I love the social aspect here and I also love meeting fellow runners at races and chatting with whoever I am keeping pace with. So I should LOVE group runs.

The problem is, I run and train on my own terms exclusively. So if others are going faster or slower, I am not running how I want, and thereby not getting what I wanted out of it. I also set my running schedule (days and time of day) based on how I can be consistent week to week depending on various life factors, and this changes over time with regularity. Group runs are set at fixed times and life would have to work around them, which in my case any normal times of day are almost always out of the question.

Hopefully at some point a local group run fits in with my schedule, at which point I wouldn't hesitate to try it out and see if anyone is running at my pace. That just hasn't happened yet.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @WhatMeRunning I know what you mean about that. "Fortunately" There isn't a running group within 20 miles of me, so all my running is solo, unless/until I get my wife to go with me, then I'll use runs with her as daily double second runs of only like 1.5-2 miles.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    So there is a race at the end of the month up to Frankenstein's Castle (the real one) - thinking of signing up for it - it's 16 km, right on schedule with my end of month run. It's a sign!

Edit: group runs - I'm keeping away from them unless the announced speeds are very close to my target speed for the distance. I've looked at few local ones, but given the language thing (I'm not 100% fluent) and uncertain speeds - I tend to avoid them. Maybe in a month or two.

Edit edit: Traded in the shoes I bought yesterday for a half size up because I was not that happy with the fit. These should be better. Louder too. :) Bright red NB. Fast, just looking at them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2016
    Virkati wrote: »
    I need some help before I can move forward into April and feel comfortable. Last Saturday was my last run, did 7.36 total on the treadmill. That mileage was a PR and part of my training plan. The gluteus medius injury that I've been working on has pretty much resolved BUT Saturday's treadmill run seems to have aggravated a new problem. I have taken this entire week off of everything and the soreness/pain is gone. The PT had told me that even though I backed down to running only 4 days a week, I'm increasing mileage, swimming, a little biking, and it's all just taking a toll. So for this week, I've done nothing except stretching.

Here's where I need help...I've decided that my training plan is too aggressive for my current ability. But I'm only 6 weeks out for my first half. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run of 8 miles but I haven't run at all this week and 8 miles will be a PR for me. I don't know how to move forward to the half, stay mindful of my current true ability, and minimize the potential for more injury. Because CLEARLY I'm not doing it right. I don't know how to tell if I have the proper base mileage to be setting the goals I've been aiming for. I go slow. So slow, that if you check Strava, my min/mile is ridiculously slow. I don't know what to do at this point.
    That's a tough one from my perspective. I almost have to wonder if your new nagging pain isn't caused by your body adjusting to take it easy on you gluteus medius. That would mean that either the gluteus medius is not yet healed or you have altered your form due to that injury, prompting the new one. If that is the case then you are in a downward spiral for which going up to a half in 6 weeks...given you haven't run 8 miles yet...means if you take it easy now you may be healed up but attempting a half having never made it to 8 miles and bumping planned mileage down is overall risky indeed, perhaps leading to a race day injury.

However, if this new injury is not related to the prior one, just take a day or two off completely and then try running just one or two miles to test things. If they are OK then pick up your training as you had planned and go for it!

I'm sure someone else will have even better insight, but that is how I would be looking at this.
  • WhatMeRunning
    So there is a race at the end of the month up to Frankenstein's Castle (the real one) - thinking of signing up for it - it's 16 km, right on schedule with my end of month run. It's a sign!
    OMG - You MUST do this!! That is just too cool!
  • hayhayruns
    hayhayruns Posts: 2 Member
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCvFbhY/exercise.png this is my first challenge, commuting to at least 5 miles a day. I pressed the star button on the page but how do I officially join the challenge, and have it listed under my "challenges" tab?
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    My goal for April is 30 miles.

Last month was 25, and I did 24- oh so close! Ran a 5k yesterday with a run group (running for brews), it was my first time running with a group and it was fun. Going to try and get out there next week too.

1/17 World of Beer 5k (30:52)
    3/20 Excalibur 5 Miler (53:39)

4/9 Pirate Plunder 2 Miler
    5/1 Eat my Crust 5k
    6/11 Bottoms Up Beer Run 4k
    7/4 Fire Cracker 5k
    11/27 Space Coast Half Marathon

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    4/1 - Easy 10.1mi TM @ 8:25/mi
    Was going to do 7mi, but I'm going to be in SLC on Sun so I have to break up my long run. So I'm planning on getting in something tomorrow. Trail 25k race is next Sat. if I wasn't racing, I'd just run 18 on Monday. But I don't want to risk getting too sore before it. All in all, good "cruise" today. Going to eat 3000 cal "seriously" breakfast feast at HASH HOUSE now to fuel up for the next run. BW is dropping fast. Down another 2lb (153) in 3 days. My racing weight is 135-145. But I'd like to reach it slowly.

April total: 10.1/153mi
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Can I have some advice please you lovely people? I am doing a 10k in 9 weeks and just been doing my own thing but looking for a training plan. I found this one which has 5 days runs but it is 12 weeks and start point is higher than my current mileage and I do 4 runs currently. Should I follow roughly but reduce miles at start and add them and just not complete it before the race or do something different? I currently do:
    2.5miles twice during week,
    5miles Saturday
    3.7miles Sunday (I normally count in km's hence odd number)
    Plan requires
    2 miles weekday samish
    3-4 miles weekday extra!
    2.2 miles weekday samish
    5 miles Saturday - same
    3-4 miles Sunday - same

Thought or suggestions much welcomed and appreciated. I would love to do it in an hour but not expecting that yet as my shorter midweek runs are currently at 6:40 per km (quite a bit of effort) and longer at 7.20 per km (ok pace) so anywhere near it would be good.

c05jgua5zlas.png
  • Elise4270
    @Elise4270 - I'm torn on the whole group run thing. First, I love the social aspect here and I also love meeting fellow runners at races and chatting with whoever I am keeping pace with. So I should LOVE group runs.

The problem is, I run and train on my own terms exclusively. So if others are going faster or slower, I am not running how I want, and thereby not getting what I wanted out of it. I also set my running schedule (days and time of day) based on how I can be consistent week to week depending on various life factors, and this changes over time with regularity. Group runs are set at fixed times and life would have to work around them, which in my case any normal times of day are almost always out of the question.

Hopefully at some point a local group run fits in with my schedule, at which point I wouldn't hesitate to try it out and see if anyone is running at my pace. That just hasn't happened yet.

Great advice. Thanks.
  • Elise4270
    @Virkati Regarding the new injury/pain: For me it's been about the entire chain. One area is weaker than everything else and when that gets "fixed" then the next weakest/stressed group feels it.

My piriformis issues include addressing core, glutes, quads, hip flexors, shin splints, and both IT bands. All because one muscle had some sort of a freak out. So you maybe chasing injury's for a while until the whole system lines out.

Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

But on the other hand, I did get a new puppy two weeks ago (proudly bragging a little through my profile pic)! Time spent with her has meant less time running. Can't wait till she is mature enough to get in on the action!

Your puppy is adorable! Good luck with her!

Thanks! I think so too, but like most puppy mommies, I'm probably a little biased :)

Good luck on your race tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fun no matter what. Chocolate fondue makes everything ok!!!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Does anybody in Las Vegas want a running partner next week?
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have a half marathon on May 1 that I'm trying to get ready for... last month I was able to get 42 miles in on top of lots of crosstraining. This month, I'm shooting for 65 miles (which includes my taper).

exercise.png

Gotta stay accountable!
  • WhatMeRunning
    hayhayruns wrote: »
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCvFbhY/exercise.png this is my first challenge, commuting to at least 5 miles a day. I pressed the star button on the page but how do I officially join the challenge, and have it listed under my "challenges" tab?
    The "challenges" tab is different from this. Those challenges are set by MFP with specific goals that all must meet and you earn awards at set limits along the way.

This thread is just a forum thread where you state your own goal and are accountable to yourself to track your progress. Just keep updating in here when you run with your mileage. You already joined just by chiming in.:smile: Welcome to the group!