April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

But on the other hand, I did get a new puppy two weeks ago (proudly bragging a little through my profile pic)! Time spent with her has meant less time running. Can't wait till she is mature enough to get in on the action!

Your puppy is adorable! Good luck with her!

Thanks! I think so too, but like most puppy mommies, I'm probably a little biased :)

Good luck on your race tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fun no matter what. Chocolate fondue makes everything ok!!!

haha You're welcome!

Thank you, and you're right - chocolate fondue does make everything okay! :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Can I have some advice please you lovely people? I am doing a 10k in 9 weeks and just been doing my own thing but looking for a training plan. I found this one which has 5 days runs but it is 12 weeks and start point is higher than my current mileage and I do 4 runs currently. Should I follow roughly but reduce miles at start and add them and just not complete it before the race or do something different? I currently do:

Thought or suggestions much welcomed and appreciated. I would love to do it in an hour but not expecting that yet as my shorter midweek runs are currently at 6:40 per km (quite a bit of effort) and longer at 7.20 per km (ok pace) so anywhere near it would be good.

I personally have found that if I follow my own plan, run at 3-5 days a week, I'll get there. I wouldn't adjust my starting mileage to fit the plan. If you want to follow the plan, I'd stay where you are until the plan catches up to you. That way you've added some base miles.

• kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    In for 60 in April :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    hayhayruns wrote: »
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCvFbhY/exercise.png this is my first challenge, commuting to at least 5 miles a day. I pressed the star button on the page but how do I officially join the challenge, and have it listed under my "challenges" tab?

That's all I do, select the star and follow the thread. I'm not aware that there's any formal commitment. Welcome, and keep us posted on your runs!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Can I have some advice please you lovely people? I am doing a 10k in 9 weeks and just been doing my own thing but looking for a training plan. I found this one which has 5 days runs but it is 12 weeks and start point is higher than my current mileage and I do 4 runs currently. Should I follow roughly but reduce miles at start and add them and just not complete it before the race or do something different? I currently do:
    2.5miles twice during week,
    5miles Saturday
    3.7miles Sunday (I normally count in km's hence odd number)
    Plan requires
    2 miles weekday samish
    3-4 miles weekday extra!
    2.2 miles weekday samish
    5 miles Saturday - same
    3-4 miles Sunday - same

Thought or suggestions much welcomed and appreciated. I would love to do it in an hour but not expecting that yet as my shorter midweek runs are currently at 6:40 per km (quite a bit of effort) and longer at 7.20 per km (ok pace) so anywhere near it would be good.

Is this your first 10K or have you done others? Based on the fact that the plan you posted has long runs of 7 and 8 miles and lots of speed work, I would say that this is not a beginner plan, but a plan that is aimed at increasing speed. Based on your current running schedule, you could probably go out and run a 10K tomorrow, so I am assuming then that speed is your goal. When I use a training plan that is a bit aggressive for my current level, I do not try to stick to it rigidly. Any of this work that you do between now and race day will definitely help you to get faster, but you also have to be cautious of burn out and injury. If you are only comfortable running 4 day per week, then I don't see any problem with that. I know plenty of people that run marathons with only 4 days per week training. If you find the speed work to be too demanding, drop an interval or two. I would use the plan as an outline and tailor it to what works for you. Listen to your body and you will know what to do. Good luck!!!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCvFbhY/exercise.png this is my first challenge, commuting to at least 5 miles a day. I pressed the star button on the page but how do I officially join the challenge, and have it listed under my "challenges" tab?
    The "challenges" tab is different from this. Those challenges are set by MFP with specific goals that all must meet and you earn awards at set limits along the way.

This thread is just a forum thread where you state your own goal and are accountable to yourself to track your progress. Just keep updating in here when you run with your mileage. You already joined just by chiming in.:smile: Welcome to the group!

"That was easy." This is a great group!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited April 2016
    Awesome, hello April! My goal for April will be 55 miles. I hope to finally get some added miles and longer runs, without any near injury misses. I also plan to add in some weight lifting. This might get interesting!

exercise.png

June 25 Perth Kilt Run 8km
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    I need some help before I can move forward into April and feel comfortable. Last Saturday was my last run, did 7.36 total on the treadmill. That mileage was a PR and part of my training plan. The gluteus medius injury that I've been working on has pretty much resolved BUT Saturday's treadmill run seems to have aggravated a new problem. I have taken this entire week off of everything and the soreness/pain is gone. The PT had told me that even though I backed down to running only 4 days a week, I'm increasing mileage, swimming, a little biking, and it's all just taking a toll. So for this week, I've done nothing except stretching.

Here's where I need help...I've decided that my training plan is too aggressive for my current ability. But I'm only 6 weeks out for my first half. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run of 8 miles but I haven't run at all this week and 8 miles will be a PR for me. I don't know how to move forward to the half, stay mindful of my current true ability, and minimize the potential for more injury. Because CLEARLY I'm not doing it right. I don't know how to tell if I have the proper base mileage to be setting the goals I've been aiming for. I go slow. So slow, that if you check Strava, my min/mile is ridiculously slow. I don't know what to do at this point.

Given the description above, I'd say that this Saturday is not the time to attempt a new PR distance. Maybe try to run 7 miles, just a little short of last Saturday and hopefully enough to give you confidence that you can do it; but definitely keep it easy.

Avoiding injury is tricky. Most of us are motivated to avoid injury right when we're trying to recover from injury, when avoidance is a bit late. Absent advice from medical professionals (and I'd pay close attention to what your PT says), I'd say don't even try to build your base to more miles per week until after you've run a week or two at your former level and seen no new issues with the gluteus minimum. Once you have 2 or 3 weeks at the same level with no problems, then it's time to edge the distance up a bit.

Will this get you through a half in 6 weeks? Maybe not. But before you can complete a half, you need to arrive at the start line able to run.

• cbrunenkant
    cbrunenkant Posts: 16 Member
    Shin splints hit hard in March! I had to drop down to only 2 runs per week and about 2.3 miles per run! I'm setting a conservative goal of 20 miles for April.

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Y'all are out of control--50 new posts! And after I went and made my ticker I see that I am not nearly so original, lol, tulips and butterflies abound!

I had a good first run for the month, although it was raining and I wound up on the treadmill. My ankle was hurting quite a bit when I put on my shoes, so I took a couple of ibuprofen, really loosened up my laces (and then had to loosen the other foot, too, because boy, did that feel weird!) and took it pretty slow. After the first mile the pain was down considerably, and by the second mile wasn't really an issue. However, my big toe felt like it was falling asleep. I think there's definitely some swelling going on with that tendon. Not really sure what to do about that. It does make me wonder if it's time for new shoes. I've only got about 200 miles on these, but they've also been worn without really having another pair in rotation (I occasionally wear an older pair for strength days, and my trail shoes, but not often).

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    After sleeping on it and thinking a bit, I'll set a modest goal of 200 miles for April. Today is a rest day, but 13 miles Saturday, plus 50 and 45 miles the next two training weeks, plus a marathon plus a half marathon comes out to 147 miles. Even if I'm a bit short in the next 2 weeks due to daily taper workout limits, it seems likely I'll be over 200 miles in April given two weeks of recovery running in addition to what I know I'll do.

It still won't be close to what I ran in March, but that's okay. March may well have been my peak mileage month for the year, absent a similar month when I'm training for the Rochester Marathon. I don't want to run 280 miles every month; that would put my Number 1 Goal of avoiding injury in jeopardy.
  • librarianlady2012
    librarianlady2012 Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2016
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    I need some help before I can move forward into April and feel comfortable. Last Saturday was my last run, did 7.36 total on the treadmill. That mileage was a PR and part of my training plan. The gluteus medius injury that I've been working on has pretty much resolved BUT Saturday's treadmill run seems to have aggravated a new problem. I have taken this entire week off of everything and the soreness/pain is gone. The PT had told me that even though I backed down to running only 4 days a week, I'm increasing mileage, swimming, a little biking, and it's all just taking a toll. So for this week, I've done nothing except stretching.

Here's where I need help...I've decided that my training plan is too aggressive for my current ability. But I'm only 6 weeks out for my first half. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run of 8 miles but I haven't run at all this week and 8 miles will be a PR for me. I don't know how to move forward to the half, stay mindful of my current true ability, and minimize the potential for more injury. Because CLEARLY I'm not doing it right. I don't know how to tell if I have the proper base mileage to be setting the goals I've been aiming for. I go slow. So slow, that if you check Strava, my min/mile is ridiculously slow. I don't know what to do at this point.

I would be increasing those miles with walk/running. Practice being out moving for 2-2.5 hours, not running that long. I also wouldn't run any longer than that, no matter what the distance is. It may take you longer than that to do your 13.1 miles, but no reason to put that sort of stress on your body ahead of time, in my opinion. You aren't going to "build" stamina like that in the short time you have left to prepare. Better to conserve your strength and avoid getting hurt.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv, but I am a middle-aged, injury-prone slow-poke and I endorse this message.
  • hayhayruns
    hayhayruns Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    I
    The "challenges" tab is different from this. Those challenges are set by MFP with specific goals that all must meet and you earn awards at set limits along the way.

This thread is just a forum thread where you state your own goal and are accountable to yourself to track your progress. Just keep updating in here when you run with your mileage. You already joined just by chiming in.:smile: Welcome to the group!

Thanks for the response! I haven't used this app before, and my first post had a spelling error, my tracking link didn't copy correctly, and I'm not entirely sure that this will post as a response. Hahaha! But I am stoked for the challenge :)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    @4leighbee I'm in the green valley area. Usually run Pittman wash a lot or McCallough Hills , Red Rock for trail running. 4-20mi+ But next week I have a taper to 12mi for my 25k trail race on Saturday so I wont be out much. After that though, I'll be out running a bunch of areas.
  • patrickreeveboyd
    patrickreeveboyd Posts: 701 Member
    Gosh yeah just a good place to post results, and see what others are up to, talk about challenges... I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    First run of the month (and first run post-marathon) complete.

Notes: Running is SO HARD. The weather was nice, if a bit humid and super windy at times. But, man, was it tough today. I made sure to keep my HR down in the low 150s (after the first couple miles of not paying much attention to it--whoops), which led to an average pace of around 11:00 per mile. Still recovering a bit, I suppose. It has been less than 2 weeks since the race. It just seems so ridiculous that a 4 mile run could be so hard after having run a freaking marathon. I feel like it should be a cakewalk. lol

Trying to decide what I want to do this weekend. Obviously an easy run, but the distance is up for debate. I'll probably just go out and see how I feel. Maybe aim for an out-and-back to the bridge, which would be a smidge over 7 miles in total...

Distance total: 4.25 of 100 miles complete.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
    Welcome - but don't worry about measuring miles, if time is easier/acceptable for you. There are other folks who gauge themselves by time, rather than distance, so you're not alone. And remember - we call it a challenge, but it's purely a challenge against your own yesterday-self, not anyone else.

Except @Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp and @WhatMeRunning (and maybe a couple others). Those folks are crazy - and mad-competing against each other to see how VERY far they can go in a month's time.

:wink:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Gosh yeah just a good place to post results, and see what others are up to, talk about challenges... I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
    You don't have to set your goal or measure it by distance. Some people have set time goals and tracked those. So if you have a number of hours/minutes you wish to track you could do so. You can even set the ticker up to track number of minutes/hours/whatever.:smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
    Except @Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp and @WhatMeRunning (and maybe a couple others). Those folks are crazy - and mad-competing against each other to see how VERY far they can go in a month's time.

:wink:
    Well, I would say...

IT'S ON!!!

...but...

@Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp will easily beat my monthly mileage. And @MobyCarp is tapering AND recovering from BOSTON for cripes sake!:lol::lol::lol: These people are BEASTS I tell ya!! :smile:

And so will @ariceroni and @michable most likely.:smile: They beat me every week on the GC and Strava leaderboards. :smile: I'm comfy in like the 5-8 slot generally.

And those groups aren't even COUNTING the super-crazy ultra runners who occasionally post/lurk here. We won't even go there. I think they refrain from posting here to avoid us feeling like they are smiting us with utterly ridonkulous mileage!!! The truth is more likely that between their never-ending run-eat-sleep-repeat cycle they just don't have the time to post.