April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ayyyyy first day did 3 km as a taper. Tomorrow I'm sitting on my *kitten* all day and eating pasta cause I race on Sunday. It's so hard not to run these days. I hate tapering already.

Shooting for 120 km this month. Should be pretty easy with actual mileage and I need to increase it for half marathon training

.....Date.....Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Sarcastic tips from someone who ran since December
    April 1.......3 km...........(7:30)................................Your cotton shirts will do just fine. Your nipples won't bleed

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run (registered)
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest (registered)
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    I think they refrain from posting here to avoid us feeling like they are smiting us with utterly ridonkulous mileage!!! The truth is more likely that between their never-ending run-eat-sleep-repeat cycle they just don't have the time to post.

Hahahahahahaha! So funny! I have been repeatedly "smote" or is that "smited"?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Hi all. I was contemplating on whether to run 4 miles or not today. I have a HM race early tommorow morning but I am running it for fun. Next week's HM is a feature race that I am trying to PR on. Tomorrow's is a fun race at the Jack Daniels distillery with a group picnic afterwards. It also has a giant hill (Whiskey Hill) in it. So I am using it as a fun training run. I decided to keep today as a rest day. This is a cutback week and I think I could use an extra rest day.

Welcome to all the new people. Sorry to not name you all out. I hope your enjoy your time in this thread.

Also one more thing I wanted to point out. This thread can move really fast and it can be very hard to keep up. I hope nobody will think anyone is a twerb if you are not 'social' much in here. Even if all you do is come in, post your miles, and leave. There is something about tracking your miles in public that makes you accountable and motivates you to your next run. If that is all this thread serves to you, then bless you. The name of the game is to get out there and do something active. I will be thrilled if my thread helps you with your goals in that manner.

It's also impossible to keep up with every single conversation in here. I know I can only scan the pages lightly as best i can on some days when things get busy. I apologize if there is something I miss. I don't mean to diss anyone. As well, I know many others do the same thing. Nobody (I hope) will fault you if you skip stuff. I don't think anyone in here purposely ignores or disses any particular people. It just happens. I guess that is one of the problems with having a sucessful thread like this.

So don't feel pressured to do anything you are unable to do.

If you post something that needs my attention, please highlight it with @Stoshew71 or send me a personal message. And I apologize if for some reason I don't get to it right away.

If you post a question in this thread and nobody answers it, please don't be afraid to repost it again in here. For the reasons above, it is very easy to miss it.

Also, because the thread used to get very messy, I think many people are now going to post questions in the group page so it is easier to track. If you do and you don't get much traffic on it, let everyone know in this thread that you posted a Q in the group page. Posting the link to your question in this thread may help as well. For example, @MNLittleFinn posted a question here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10363154/what-to-do-after-cut-back-week

Now we all can find it and comment on it if we like. (Or if you don't, that is fine too).

But if you want to post a question in this thread, that is perfectly fine as well.

Best wishes everyone.

Stan
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
    Except @Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp and @WhatMeRunning (and maybe a couple others). Those folks are crazy - and mad-competing against each other to see how VERY far they can go in a month's time.

:wink:
    Well, I would say...

IT'S ON!!!

...but...

@Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp will easily beat my monthly mileage. And @MobyCarp is tapering AND recovering from BOSTON for cripes sake!:lol::lol::lol: These people are BEASTS I tell ya!! :smile:

And so will @ariceroni and @michable most likely.:smile: They beat me every week on the GC and Strava leaderboards. :smile: I'm comfy in like the 5-8 slot generally.

And those groups aren't even COUNTING the super-crazy ultra runners who occasionally post/lurk here. We won't even go there. I think they refrain from posting here to avoid us feeling like they are smiting us with utterly ridonkulous mileage!!! The truth is more likely that between their never-ending run-eat-sleep-repeat cycle they just don't have the time to post.

Oooh cool!!!!! - I want to be in the crazy runners group. I believe I have inadvertently been challenged. B)
  • ahealthyop
    ahealthyop Posts: 4 Member
    Going for 25 miles. Used to be able to self motivate but that's getting tougher as it gets tougher to get back/stay on track.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I'm new to this group as well as to the idea of measuring my distances, since I usually go by time. So that will be my thing this month, just to measure how far I go...using...my...phone I suppose
    Except @Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp and @WhatMeRunning (and maybe a couple others). Those folks are crazy - and mad-competing against each other to see how VERY far they can go in a month's time.

Well, I would say...

IT'S ON!!!

...but...

@Stoshew71 and @Kristinegift and @MobyCarp will easily beat my monthly mileage. And @MobyCarp is tapering AND recovering from BOSTON for cripes sake!:lol::lol::lol: These people are BEASTS I tell ya!! :smile:

And so will @ariceroni and @michable most likely.:smile: They beat me every week on the GC and Strava leaderboards. :smile: I'm comfy in like the 5-8 slot generally.

And those groups aren't even COUNTING the super-crazy ultra runners who occasionally post/lurk here. We won't even go there. I think they refrain from posting here to avoid us feeling like they are smiting us with utterly ridonkulous mileage!!! The truth is more likely that between their never-ending run-eat-sleep-repeat cycle they just don't have the time to post.

Oooh cool!!!!! - I want to be in the crazy runners group. I believe I have inadvertently been challenged. B)
    Honestly, everyone here is technically in the crazy runners group. You have to be crazy to run, let alone commit to some number that may be the most you could possibly do in a month, whatever that number may be. It is a lot easier for some to tack on an extra 25 miles in a month while some others may find 25 miles in total a bit too much and would be happy if they could do 20 miles. And they will have to work every bit as hard to hit that 20 as the other people going for their new goals.

This thread is all just about setting what you think you can do and working to get it done. We're all the same in that way, all working just as hard to get there. The numbers are arbitrary. It's the effort that counts. After all, if you don't reach your goal what you do is try again the next month. Everyone here would say that to another. Perhaps it was injury, life, or you just set too aggressive of a goal. Trying is what this thread is about. And having a community to help keep you going so you DON'T GIVE UP! :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    RE: group runs. I love my group that I train with on Tuesday's Thursdays and sometimes Saturdays.

However, I find myself doing something completely different all the time then what they do. We all meet at the same place at the same time. Many run shorter runs and some run a little longer runs. I seem to run the longest. So we have set up routes where the first mile or so, we are all doing pretty much the same thing and then the route changes depending on how far you have to go. Of course by the time the first half mile sets in, you have leaders way up front than some others. Not everyone is doing the same pace.

Some even get there early and sneak an extra mile or so before everyone else starts. You see every once a while a couple folks running to the bagel shop on Tuesday just before our scheduled start time. I know a couple of folks actually run to the bagel shop from their home and run back after the run which get's them a couple of extra miles.

Over last fall while my marathon training was ramping up, I was doing tempo runs where the first 2 or 3 miles, I was way ahead of everyone else and I was running pretty much all by myself. Then i slowed down into an easier pace where eventually 2 or 3 more caught up with me to finish the run. Sometimes they would just pass me.

Sometimes it can be a negative thing. If I had an easier day in mind, and we have leaders that are going a little faster than what I had planned (or should have planned), yeah I admit that my ego pushed me a little faster than what I should have done. That can be a negative draw back to group runs and that is something I had to learn the hard way. I am better now to let people go.

Eventually we all would end up at the same place where we started. Many would stay for coffee and many had to leave and get ready for work. Those that stayed, I would eventually get in and catch up with them (even if it was only 5 minutes).

And if someone can't make it to group and needs to postpone their run to a later day or time, they post it on our FB page and many times someone else will join them.

It's just how we are. Very flexible.
  • Stoshew71
    Virkati wrote: »
    I need some help before I can move forward into April and feel comfortable. Last Saturday was my last run, did 7.36 total on the treadmill. That mileage was a PR and part of my training plan. The gluteus medius injury that I've been working on has pretty much resolved BUT Saturday's treadmill run seems to have aggravated a new problem. I have taken this entire week off of everything and the soreness/pain is gone. The PT had told me that even though I backed down to running only 4 days a week, I'm increasing mileage, swimming, a little biking, and it's all just taking a toll. So for this week, I've done nothing except stretching.

Here's where I need help...I've decided that my training plan is too aggressive for my current ability. But I'm only 6 weeks out for my first half. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run of 8 miles but I haven't run at all this week and 8 miles will be a PR for me. I don't know how to move forward to the half, stay mindful of my current true ability, and minimize the potential for more injury. Because CLEARLY I'm not doing it right. I don't know how to tell if I have the proper base mileage to be setting the goals I've been aiming for. I go slow. So slow, that if you check Strava, my min/mile is ridiculously slow. I don't know what to do at this point.
    That's a tough one from my perspective. I almost have to wonder if your new nagging pain isn't caused by your body adjusting to take it easy on you gluteus medius. That would mean that either the gluteus medius is not yet healed or you have altered your form due to that injury, prompting the new one. If that is the case then you are in a downward spiral for which going up to a half in 6 weeks...given you haven't run 8 miles yet...means if you take it easy now you may be healed up but attempting a half having never made it to 8 miles and bumping planned mileage down is overall risky indeed, perhaps leading to a race day injury.

However, if this new injury is not related to the prior one, just take a day or two off completely and then try running just one or two miles to test things. If they are OK then pick up your training as you had planned and go for it!

I'm sure someone else will have even better insight, but that is how I would be looking at this.

If an injury or hurt causes you to alter your gait in any way, STOP what you are doing and rest until you can run with your correct form.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Welcome - but don't worry about measuring miles, if time is easier/acceptable for you. There are other folks who gauge themselves by time, rather than distance, so you're not alone. And remember - we call it a challenge, but it's purely a challenge against your own yesterday-self, not anyone else.

Actually, I'm not competing against anyone for how far I can run in a month. I don't even think in terms of how far in a month; I think in terms of how far in a week. My *estimate* (not goal) for March was done by adding the miles called for by my Boston training plan. I came within one mile of that estimate, because I was mostly pretty good at sticking to the training plan. The fact that the total miles for March seemed crazy is due to my having a pretty aggressive plan, and March containing a peak week and some almost-peak weeks.

First two weeks of April are taper toward Boston. I expect that there will be folks on this group who run farther than I will in April. That's okay. Total distance isn't my focus for April. Performance at Boston is, and that means being disciplined about following the taper. Running Buffalo, or Pittsburgh? You may very well have more miles in April than I do. And that's okay. I don't want to run 282 miles every month. Right now, I'm thinking that settling into a routine of 40 to 50 miles per week when I'm between marathon training plans would be nice.

I set my target for April at 200 miles, but it's okay if I don't get there. It's really just an estimate. If I need to cut back further to recover from Boston, cutting back further is the thing to do.

Running more miles is not always the best thing to do. Staying healthy to run another day is more important.
  • Stoshew71
    hayhayruns wrote: »
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCvFbhY/exercise.png this is my first challenge, commuting to at least 5 miles a day. I pressed the star button on the page but how do I officially join the challenge, and have it listed under my "challenges" tab?

By posting in here you are now officially joined.

However, this is a MFP user created challenge and not an official challenge recognized by UA or myfitnesspal. (I am just a normal user just like the rest of you guys and I created this thread.) So I don't think there is a way to see it under the "challenges" tab.

But if you go to COMMUNITY-> Challenges (under Main Forums) because this is one of the highest traffic threads on the Forum, it's very easy to find us near the top. And if you bookmark this thread, by hitting the 'star' between the 'bell' and 'gear' after selecting COMMUNITY should get us as well.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    karllundy wrote: »
    I think they refrain from posting here to avoid us feeling like they are smiting us with utterly ridonkulous mileage!!! The truth is more likely that between their never-ending run-eat-sleep-repeat cycle they just don't have the time to post.

I believe it's "smitten." Irregular verb, smite-smote-smitten.
  • Stoshew71
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Welcome - but don't worry about measuring miles, if time is easier/acceptable for you. There are other folks who gauge themselves by time, rather than distance, so you're not alone. And remember - we call it a challenge, but it's purely a challenge against your own yesterday-self, not anyone else.

Actually, I'm not competing against anyone for how far I can run in a month. I don't even think in terms of how far in a month; I think in terms of how far in a week. My *estimate* (not goal) for March was done by adding the miles called for by my Boston training plan. I came within one mile of that estimate, because I was mostly pretty good at sticking to the training plan. The fact that the total miles for March seemed crazy is due to my having a pretty aggressive plan, and March containing a peak week and some almost-peak weeks.

First two weeks of April are taper toward Boston. I expect that there will be folks on this group who run farther than I will in April. That's okay. Total distance isn't my focus for April. Performance at Boston is, and that means being disciplined about following the taper. Running Buffalo, or Pittsburgh? You may very well have more miles in April than I do. And that's okay. I don't want to run 282 miles every month. Right now, I'm thinking that settling into a routine of 40 to 50 miles per week when I'm between marathon training plans would be nice.

I set my target for April at 200 miles, but it's okay if I don't get there. It's really just an estimate. If I need to cut back further to recover from Boston, cutting back further is the thing to do.

Running more miles is not always the best thing to do. Staying healthy to run another day is more important.

I'm the same way. I am more worried about how much I can get in this week or next. Kind of why I have the generic goal of 200 even though I break it most times. Also, since my goal is the first one most will see, I am scared of posting 250 or 300 miles because I know that may discourage many would be challengers. My goal for this thread is to be as open as possible to all. Whether you are a beginner or experienced runner.

By real goal is to make it to Boston. I am very jelous to @MobyCarp that he already has his BQ and will be racing it in a couple of weeks. Although I am proud for him as well and can't wait to see how he does.

But in order for me to make it to Boston, yes, I have to do some really crazy stuff. And I think a few of us are trying to get there as well. @kristinegift is going for her BQ at the end of the month I believe, and we all wish her luck. And I think a couple of us others are trying to BQ as well. My next attempt is in December.

• Stoshew71
    Can I have some advice please you lovely people? I am doing a 10k in 9 weeks and just been doing my own thing but looking for a training plan. I found this one which has 5 days runs but it is 12 weeks and start point is higher than my current mileage and I do 4 runs currently. Should I follow roughly but reduce miles at start and add them and just not complete it before the race or do something different? I currently do:
    2.5miles twice during week,
    5miles Saturday
    3.7miles Sunday (I normally count in km's hence odd number)
    Plan requires
    2 miles weekday samish
    3-4 miles weekday extra!
    2.2 miles weekday samish
    5 miles Saturday - same
    3-4 miles Sunday - same

Thought or suggestions much welcomed and appreciated. I would love to do it in an hour but not expecting that yet as my shorter midweek runs are currently at 6:40 per km (quite a bit of effort) and longer at 7.20 per km (ok pace) so anywhere near it would be good.

c05jgua5zlas.png

I would do the same weekly mileage and same long run. That means taking that 5th smaller run, and adding it to your other 3 smaller runs.

How to get to week 1 if your current fitness is not quite inline with the plan's 1st week will be the challenge. Do the best you can to catch up which means you may not make it to the end of the plan. Is your race actually 12 weeks away? If your race is more than 12 weeks away, then just continue through the plan even if you need to insert some weeks to get to week 1.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    @ROBOTFOOD are any of those safer than others for a single female?
  • Stoshew71
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »

I believe it's "smitten." Irregular verb, smite-smote-smitten.

"Smite me Oh mighty smiter! Now I am not much for blaspheming, but that last one made me laugh."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjAM2J_D4UY

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016

Echoing what @9voice9 says about it being ok to measure in time instead of miles! No judgements here. The challenge is for you, against you; no one else!

And I won't be top contender for mileage this month, I bet. No more 230-250+ months for me for a while... I'll be tapering for half of April and then recovering from my May 1 marathon for half of next month! :o

Stoshew71 wrote: »

But in order for me to make it to Boston, yes, I have to do some really crazy stuff. And I think a few of us are trying to get there as well. @kristinegift is going for her BQ at the end of the month I believe, and we all wish her luck. And I think a couple of us others are trying to BQ as well. My next attempt is in December.

This BQ-attempting does encourage some crazy running on my part... But hopefully it will be worth it come 5/1!! 3:35 or bust!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016

I'm the same way. I am more worried about how much I can get in this week or next. Kind of why I have the generic goal of 200 even though I break it most times. Also, since my goal is the first one most will see, I am scared of posting 250 or 300 miles because I know that may discourage many would be challengers. My goal for this thread is to be as open as possible to all. Whether you are a beginner or experienced runner.

I think you're right to do that, as I know I lurked on this thread for months and months before having the guts to join in. I was reading and learning when lurking, but it was only through doing so that I realised you are all super friendly, helpful and supportive to everyone, regardless of level. I don't think I even would have lurked if that was the first thing I had read, thinking there was no way this stuff was for me.

And now, rather than intimidated, I'm inspired by all of you with high levels and it motivates me to keep going, knowing I will be there too eventually. At my current rate of adding about 10-15 miles a month, I'll get to 200-250 miles in just over 2 years, so watch out in 2018 for me whooping your backsides :wink: (The fact you'll all be running ultras by then is something I'm just going to ignore, haha)
  • Stoshew71

Echoing what @9voice9 says about it being ok to measure in time instead of miles! No judgements here. The challenge is for you, against you; no one else!

And I won't be top contender for mileage this month, I bet. No more 230-250+ months for me for a while... I'll be tapering for half of April and then recovering from my May 1 marathon for half of next month! :o

This BQ-attempting does encourage some crazy running on my part... But hopefully it will be worth it come 5/1!! 3:35 or bust!

Is 3:35 just your low end qualification mark? Cause I would think you need about 3 minutes cushion to actually make it in. Hopefully, no more than 3 minutes are needed.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @Stoshew71 I'd have to do 3 mins under to know I'm 90% safe (last year's 2:28 buffer has me running scared!). That's why I'm targeting 3:31 or better this go around. My totally unofficial calculations have me being able to run anywhere between 3:26 & 3:31. I was going to use this weekend's race as a good way to estimate marathon time (double HM time + 13 mins) but since the winds will be 25-35 mph and gusts up to 50 mph... it's not going to be the best measure of my fitness!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    winter weather advisory for 2-4 inches of snow and 15-25mph winds right when I 'm supposed to be running my 6 miles tomorrow. I have a feeling that I'm going to be doing 2 loops of my in town 5k route, rather than the new 3 mile out and back I was planning.
    https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/55750:4:US?phenomena=WW&significance=Y&areaid=MNZ019&office=KDLH&etn=0012 local weather shows the snow coming right between 0400 and 0600...I run at 0630-0700 for start times