April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    So there is a race at the end of the month up to Frankenstein's Castle (the real one) - thinking of signing up for it - it's 16 km, right on schedule with my end of month run. It's a sign!
    OMG - You MUST do this!! That is just too cool!

If my husband were a runner he would be so jealous!!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training (This is what I do when I can't run.)

No leg pain today. Back hurts only when riding in the car or sitting anywhere really. Gonna play it safe and still no run tomorrow. Will hope to resume running on Monday if sciatica seems to be better.

Tomorrow is our local half marathon, so my facebook feed will be blowing up with race pics and stats to further torture me while I miss another run :)

@onesmallchoice I had to quit running 8 weeks in Nov/Dec to heal an injury, so like you I am trying to listen to my body and not go there again....

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'm on my stupid phone so posting is a pain. I'll leave my mileage and come back later to comment

4/1 - 5.5 miles

5 out of 100 miles

Good luck everyone running this weekend. @stoshew71 good luck at oak barrel.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Nothing to look at here - clumsy thumbs posting accident
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    edited April 2016
    1/4....5k

Running Thoughts:
    I had a stitch, who gets a stitch unless you're 8?

@username301 haha! I got a stitch this morning on my long run! I think I was a bit dehydrated.

@WhatMeRunning I find myself at the top of the GC and Strava leaderboards by default! Because I am in Australia, I am about a day ahead of everyone else, so I get all my runs in earlier, making me look really good. I am never at the top by the end of the week!

I am in for 240km this month. We have 5 Saturdays this month, for 5 long runs!

Apr 1- rest
    Apr 2 - 27.55 km

Total - 27.55 km / 240 km

exercise.png

• julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Hey! New here. I want to set a goal of 60 for April; secretly I'm hoping to run a lot more than that, but knowing that I am just getting back into the habit of running regularly AND it is getting to be end-of-semester crazy time, I'm setting the bar a little lower.

Getting over a cold and did 3.75 sluggish miles today.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Running more miles is not always the best thing to do. Staying healthy to run another day is more important.

@MobyCarp Beautifully put.

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new people. Sorry to not name you all out. I hope your enjoy your time in this thread.

Also one more thing I wanted to point out. This thread can move really fast and it can be very hard to keep up. I hope nobody will think anyone is a twerb if you are not 'social' much in here. Even if all you do is come in, post your miles, and leave. There is something about tracking your miles in public that makes you accountable and motivates you to your next run. If that is all this thread serves to you, then bless you. The name of the game is to get out there and do something active. I will be thrilled if my thread helps you with your goals in that manner.

It's also impossible to keep up with every single conversation in here. I know I can only scan the pages lightly as best i can on some days when things get busy. I apologize if there is something I miss. I don't mean to diss anyone. As well, I know many others do the same thing. Nobody (I hope) will fault you if you skip stuff. I don't think anyone in here purposely ignores or disses any particular people. It just happens. I guess that is one of the problems with having a sucessful thread like this.

So don't feel pressured to do anything you are unable to do.

Also what Stan said.

Newbies, welcome!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2016
    2 April – 5 km parkrun

Goal: 100 km (Achieved 128 km in March but had a dream month)

Upcoming:
    May 8: Mother’s Day Classic 8.4 km
    June 19 – Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
    August 7 – Peaks & Trails 22 km? (Eek did I say that out loud?)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi everyone - regulars and newbies,

Looks like its going to be a busy month going by all the posts which I have managed to read with a couple of attempts.

I been arguing with myself for days as to what my April goal should be so I'm just going to go for it and aim for 80 miles, But I'm not going to injure myself if I'm finding it too much. Last month I thought I was a bit ambitious going for 60 miles and them ran 71 without any problems so anything over 70 will be success.

Hope everyone stays injury free especially with the various races coming up.

01/04 4 miles
    02/04 0 - family gathering

exercise.png

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member

exercise.png

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member

exercise.png

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    @Stoshew71 @lporter229 @Elise4270 thanks for the advice. I last ran a 10k about 13 years ago, I have put 100lbs on and taken 90 of them back off since then (I don't do anything by half). My 10k is 9 weeks away so I think I will reduce 2 of my midweek runs by a little to add in a 5th short run to do some faster intervals. I would love to get near an hour bit think I will be a bit cautious for this one as I have another in October and can go for it then. Having a slightly easier week this week anyway as had very sore legs after 3 days running in a row then a training session with squats and lunges and other tortures :wink:

April 2016

2/4 - 5.64k

5.64/75

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles

Easy little shakeout before the HM tomorrow. Ran with my buddy (she's also running the HM tomorrow!) and we were lucky to run in a slight drizzle instead of the rain we were supposed to be getting.

Forecast tomorrow is looking quite ominous. 25-35 mph winds, gusts up to 50 :s But it seems like the sun might peek its head out, so that will help... maybe. Low temp overnight is gonna be ~36, and high of 45, so it will be a pretty chilly, windy race. I am still sticking to my time goal (sub-1:40), but if I don't get it, it's only going to be because of the challenging weather, not because I didn't give it my all!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2016
    @MNLittleFinn Please, ask your questions here. I joined the challenge last month and learned SO much just from reading all of your discussions!
    My April goal is 75 miles. It's my last month to build my base before start HM training in May. I plan to train using Hanson's HM Method which include a very intimidating mileage, but I know my body needs the consistency that plan offers. (Every time I drop to 3 days/wk instead of my normal 4-5, I start pushing myself to hard and begin having issues.)
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    "ariceroni wrote: »
    @ariceroni

All this talk of BQ is encouraging me to admit that I, too, am hoping to BQ in the future! I've never ran a marathon (yet!) but I'm not going to let that stop me from dreaming haha. Currently registered for Chicago this year so hopefully that will give me a better idea of how far I have to go! @MobyCarp I think time qualifying for Chicago is an excellent goal. I might be a little biased though by the fact that I live here ;) I'll let you know in ~6 months how the course is!

I ran Chicago Marathon a couple years ago, it's a really fun course. With only running longer distances at Disney and space coast, I thought the pottys could have been more, as in more stops. But over all a great course and the crowd was amazing. (Expect near the end, some guys near the finish in the crowd were like "I can't believe these people are running, they don't ever look like the broke a sweat" it was probably 6 hours in. My mom being mama bear she is, plus she had been running all over town to trying to catch a glimpse of me, whipped around and said "are you out there running it, I don't think so, so give these athletes a hand for a job well done" I love my mom)
    I am happy to say I ran Chicago marathon. Yeah it took me 6 hours and 11 minutes, but you know what I did it! (I had stomach issues that day, maybe that's why I said they needed more pottys) ha!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    6/1- Rest!
    6/2- 6.21 miles

Cold morning run. 19 degree temps and 2 inches of snow fell over night, and for a good 2.5 miles of the run, I was on roads that weren't plowed. Winds from the North were fishtailing a little so I caught some headwind outbound, and a ton on the back stretch. Winds were 11 mph with gusts to 25mph. UA turtleneck+C9 lightweight shirt+Brooks LSD Jacket kept my core warm. Nike pants and Cabela's wool socks were perfect for my feet. Polar fleec gloves and knit hat kept hands and head relatively warm, but need better windproofing on my lighter gloves and hat.

Not trying to, but I set a PR for 10k on this run: 1:04:30!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Hi everyone, Elise4270 invited me to join in the running challenge, thanks Elise! I'm going to set my goal for 50 miles this month. If i can figure out how to make a ticker like Diantha21 did, i will be pleased with that challenge alone. Happy running all!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi everyone, Elise4270 invited me to join in the running challenge, thanks Elise! I'm going to set my goal for 50 miles this month. If i can figure out how to make a ticker like @Diantha21 did, i will be pleased with that challenge alone. Happy running all!

Whooo! Yeah! Glad you made it! *high five*
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member

exercise.png

Short interval run - appropriately drenched with sweat - and lifted enough to say that I lifted today - actually, I comfortably did 25-pound plates on the bench press bar today and finished all three sets. Happeeee. Have a beautiful day, running friends!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I just noticed that on the March challenges thread, the entry in the Number of Replies column is 2.5K.

I thought, seriously? A group of runners, and we can't even do a full 5K? (Just as well. I'm not sure I could keep reading that long.)

LOL !! I would say we've made an impressive showing, though. 2.5K replies. Wowsers. We're chatty.