April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    4/2 5.16 miles. For some reason my heart rate cannot seem to handle the temperature to be over 40 degrees. It was 55 degrees out when I started my run today and my heart rate that usually goes up to around 170 within my first mile went up to 182. Blah!

I have never done any speed work before so I have a question if that is ok. The plan I am using right now has me doing fast striders starting in a few weeks. I have looked up what those are but want to make sure I know what I am supposed to be doing. So, can anyone tell me what fast striders are, please?

exercise.png
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    @mrswhitehog welcome to the challenge group!

@Elise4270 I very much relate to your "rungries". There are just not enough calories! I would definitely gain weight marathon training if I didn't keep an eye on it.

@louubelle16 haha! Phew! So pleased you didn't have an injury! Good luck in your HM tomorrow!

@kristinegift good luck in your HM tomorrow! I hope the weather is not too awful.

@ceckhardt369 I think that would throw me for a loop too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do about it. I have a half-brother somewhere a couple of years older than me, who my mum put up for adoption because she was young and unmarried. We have never heard anything from him, and my mum has never looked. I think it was something she put behind her.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Figured this was the most appropriate place to vent about this: Target is crazy. High impact bra, my *kitten*. ;)
  • onesmallchoice
    onesmallchoice Posts: 16 Member
    4/1 - rest day
    4/2 - 2 miles!

Made it through my run with minimal back pain today!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Figured this was the most appropriate place to vent about this: Target is crazy. High impact bra, my *kitten*. ;)

Okay so (1) my post makes no sense and (2) there needs to an edit feature longer than an hour lol ... MFP changed the (very tame) word I chose to kitten. How absolutely odd!
  • 4leighbee
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ceckhardt369 wow! That's kinda cool about the half sibling. I have a half sister 18 years younger I've never meet by my father (Stephanie Price- just in case she reads this :wink: ). It be crazy to have a new found sibling.

I was adopted back it was all a bit secret. I only know that my biological mother liked to sew. In 1971. What a surprise, lol. ;) I don't know a soul from my blood family.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    4/01-3.1 what a slog, high HR in the 167 range
    4/02-4 great run, felt like I could keep going forever. Low HR about 150

exercise.png

June 25 Perth Kilt Run 8km
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @dennie24 - I'd never heard the term "strider," so I had to do a search. Turns out it's the same thing I know as a "stride." This article from runner's world hits most of the same points my coach did in explaining them. You start out slow and accelerate to R pace (about as fast as you can run a mile, slower than an all out sprint) while concentrating on good form. A piece of the sound track from my coach that isn't in the article is, pick one aspect of form to concentrate on. Maybe today you just concentrate on upright posture. Maybe next time you do strides you concentrate on good foot strike. It's hard to think about all aspects of good form at the same time in real time, so pick some aspect that you need work on, and work on it. When that improves, pick another aspect to work on.

On a track, we have been told to do 50m, 100m, or 200m strides that each have slightly different training purposes. On the road, sometimes we do 50m uphill strides. Some workouts just say "easy plus 4 strides," leaving it up to me to define the distance and terrain of the stride. For those, I typically stride the distance between fire hydrants on my street (guessing between 150m and 200m) because I'm close to home when I'm done and the fire hydrants are convenient markers that let me know I'm striding a consistent distance. When the club is doing strides, either it's on a track with known distances, or we use cross country marking cones for start and end.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    2 April – 5 km parkrun
    3 April – 10 km PB! 1:02:23

Total: 15 km
    Goal: 100 km
  • librarianlady2012
    librarianlady2012 Posts: 56 Member
    exercise.png
    [/url]

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training (This is what I do when I can't run.)
    4/2 - 4.5 mile RUN! (no pain!), 3 mile walk because I love spring weather :)

@Elise4270 I just can't bring myself to do snot rockets! My nose is really just a fountain anyway. I sniffle the whole time and if I look down at all it just pours :-/ It's gotten to the point it's even while I just walk outside. I'm totally fine inside so it's bizarre.

@Orphia Awesome PB!!!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    To all the racers today...way to go!!

4/1 - Rest day
    4/2 - 8.12 (includes cool down). City Park. Soreness in hip didn't show up until I was cooling down. Felt a significant change in my energy at about halfway. Drank some water with NUUN and felt a LOT better almost immediately. Carried it with me for the rest of the run. And I find a hot spot under my arm. First time wearing this top so I think that's the culprit.

04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

exercise.png
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    I am going to try for 90 miles in April since that was my March goal and I came up a few miles shy! Hoping for a little more grit and determination from myself this month and also planning to mix up the routine and incorporate more outdoor runs to get used to the oncoming Houston heat! Let's do this!!

exercise.png

• MrsLeonard2016
    MrsLeonard2016 Posts: 50 Member
    50 miles this month!! Starting with a long run tomorrow morning :)
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Did 5.47 miles this morning (hugely impressed with myself tbh... longest run I've ever done personally, a solid hour with a brief walking warm up and cool down, and two or three minutes of walking around the halfway point). So let's go with 50 miles for this month, and see how that goes.
  • mitzi80
    mitzi80 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm in! I'll set my goal at 25 miles! I just got back in to it so need to start low !
  • mitzi80
    4/25 as of 4/2
  • mitzi80

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Finally took a rest day from running yesterday (but went to my weekly bike hammerfest & lifted), but got in a refreshing speedwork session tonight. Likely just doing a mid-distance run tomorrow evening, then a long run Monday, but I might do my long run tomorrow if the weather is good to give me an extra taper day before next Sunday's Ironman 70.3 race.

4/1 - 0.5 mile (pre-lift warm-up)
    4/2 - 6.5 miles (speedwork - 6 x 5 min threshold/1 min rest)

Total: 7 miles
    Goal: 160 miles
    Remaining: 153 miles

Upcoming races:
    4/10 - Ironman 70.3 Florida
    5/1 - Pittsburgh Marathon
    9/25 - Ironman 70.3 Augusta
    10/9 - Chicago Marathon (lottery TBD)
    11/5 - Ironman Florida
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    April Goal: Run often