April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    234ft vert for 8mi ain't bad! You'll be fine. Just run a very easy pace and cruise.. If you do have to walk a hill(s), walk. I do it all the time. Still get a solid run. And on a long run, time on you're feet is what matters really IMO.
    You have some awesome vertical on your runs, from what I've seen, wicked awesome. This run is the most vertical I can pack in from my house, without repeating the same section several times, and that gets boring for me. I'm working on adding some more hills into my runs just to get the strength training from them and to mix things up since I always feel like I'm cheating on flatter routes.

We do hill repeats every other Thursday in my group. There's a hill between Cabella's and Crystal Mountain Water. We run up and down the hill 8x.

https://www.strava.com/activities/545028243/segments/13146009055

You can do that possibly to get some good hill work in. Pick a good hill, run up pretty hard, run back down pretty easy, and run back up it again and repeat as needed.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - In all seriousness, my "time goal" for my first HM was to not let the Kenyan elites finish the marathon before I finished the half!

My goal is actually to run the whole thing with a happy happy goal of running it <2:30:00 but it's a long way off.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My hips were slightly sore after the pilates the other day, so I went for it again this morning. I really have no patience for slow exercise like pilates but I'm feeling the burn so it's my new thing for now.

I appreciate this. So many people don't like when I say that I don't like pilates and yoga: "Oh, but it's so relaxing." "You just haven't found the right instructor." "It took me a while, but I finally found a class I like, and now I can't live without it." No. I just don't like them. I don't have the patience for either and I get bored very quickly.

I'm not a class/group person but I use Fitness Blender workouts for my strength training and I'm finding I like Kelli well enough to get through the pilates. I find all of their workouts to be pretty un-boring because they are fast paced and don't repeat a lot of the same moves, etc. I'm still a long ways from loving yoga though :wink:

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Good luck today!!
    @kristinegift - Ha! Love the 11 mile warm-up for a 6k!
    @WhatMeRunning - Fantastic race! Congrats on the PR!

Did you all just watch the Push-Rim men's finish! Wow!

Women running past Wellesley = awesome!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training
    4/2 - 4.5 mile run, 3 mile walk
    4/3 - rest day
    4/4 - 3 mile run, 23 min strength training
    4/5 - 4.25 mile run
    4/6 - rest day
    4/7 - 20 min light walk
    4/8 - 3.1 run, 1.5 mile walk
    4/9 - 5 mile run, 25 min stretching and foam rolling, 35 min strength training
    4/10 - 1 hour indoor low impact cardio
    4/11 - 1 hour strength training/pilates/stretching/foam rolling
    4/12 - 5 miles biking, 50 mins low impact cardio indoors
    4/13 - 30 mins light walking
    4/14 - 30 min pilates, 15 min walking
    4/15 - 3.1 mile run with 1.3 miles of warm-up/cool down time, another 2.5 miles walk later
    4/16 - 2 mile run, 35 min lower body strength& pilates
    4/17 - rest day

25 of 60 miles April running goal

No way am I getting even close to my 60 mile goal. After down time with aches/pains and now this week is super rainy, I'll be lucky to hit 45.

Streaming the Boston Marathon in the background at work :)

I got way behind here over the weekend, reading but not posting, so I won't try to catch up but everybody is awesome as usual :smiley:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @karllundy -That was a very tight finish for the mens push rim at Boston!

Watching Tatyana McFadden screaming to the finish for womens push rim now.:smile:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Yay for adoptive families!! Tatyana McFadden is ridiculously dominant!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 5.5 miles
    4/2 - family day
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 -6 - lazy butt days
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 -9 - rest days
    4/10 - 13.2 Bridge Street Half Marathon
    4/11 - 3.2 recovery miles
    4/12 - 13 - taking care of knee days
    4/14 - 4.3 miles
    4/15 - 16 - rest and track meet days
    4/17 - 3.5 miles came home as soon as knee started to talk to me
    4/18 - rest I'm going to try one day on and one day off until knee shuts up

38 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp 22:36 after first 5K projected Finish 3;10:42
    @Zekela 23:11 after 1st 5K projected finish 3:15:35

Thanks for the update. I forgot @MobyCarp 's bib number otherwise I was going to try to track him
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

@stoshew71 what is Zekela's bib number. I'm tracking Dink too :smile:

• skippygirlsmom
    Options

Thanks for the update. I forgot @MobyCarp 's bib number otherwise I was going to try to track him

@MNlittlefinn 11935
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It's interesting watching @MobyCarp on the tracking map on the BAA website. It keeps steadily moving forward on the map!:smile: Makes me wonder how they track it like that. I assume it is estimated position based on last chip time.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@stoshew71 what is Zekela's bib number. I'm tracking Dink too :smile:

Zekela: 11758 Amanda Murdaugh: 21330 Andrew Hodges: 1086 Martin Schneekloth: 5398 Dink Taylor: 7441 and Tim Vinson 971

First 2 are from MFP and last 4 are locals near Huntsville area.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Keep the Boston updates coming! I took the day off to watch it, run later and visit my PT for my once again uneven hips.

@skippygirlsmom love that you adopted out of the US.. My husband has no kids, we tried for a while. He wasn't keen on adoption. I'd have taken all of them in. :wink: especially from Russia.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    GO @MobyCarp !!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    It's interesting watching @MobyCarp on the tracking map on the BAA website. It keeps steadily moving forward on the map!:smile: Makes me wonder how they track it like that. I assume it is estimated position based on last chip time.

I just started watching him on that. It's pretty sweet.