Anyone disabled & trying to loose weight?

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Made it into the gym today with my cane in tow. Wanted to try the elliptical so bad today! I tried it and big mistake lol...took me over 2 hours to get through all my exercises but I did it and while some of my body feels better my knee and ankle not so much lol. I'm gonna lay down for a while and let my meds work there magic! I hope everyone has a beautiful day!
  • cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    Lisamn1214 wrote: »
    MS here. Diagnosed at 16. 32 now. I am usually too tired to exercise even with fatigue meds. 90% diet change and I'm down 65 lbs from 244. Stay strong! Add me if you like

Hi Lisa, Wow! I do total understand the exercise thing! Way To GO!!!! Woooo Hoooo! CJ adding you!
  • cjdsign
    Made it into the gym today with my cane in tow. Wanted to try the elliptical so bad today! I tried it and big mistake lol...took me over 2 hours to get through all my exercises but I did it and while some of my body feels better my knee and ankle not so much lol. I'm gonna lay down for a while and let my meds work there magic! I hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Wow! Kudos to you!!!! I do hope you knee and ankle are better tomorrow! Great going today!! CJ
  • cjdsign
    Hi everyone! Well, disappointment on the scales today. I know I am stronger with a hard week of doing "Stuff" last week, but I gained the 3lbs I had lost and 3lbs more! Hummmm. So I'll keep up the hard work, for me, this week and see if there is a change. I've been eating under my calories, but I do think it is muscle...finally! I had a good day and I hope everyone did too! Hugs, CJ
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Exercise is not only for the body but for the mind and soul.

I pray for you to always find inspiration in the things that appear little

;)
  • moobaloo13
    moobaloo13 Posts: 11 Member
    I suffer from chronic pain disorder and hyper flexible joints so depending on flares can leave me wheelchair bound as well as a jug of mental health issues. I've managed to lose 5 stone so far by doing gentle exercise (light cleaning, walking, swimming) and i did a complete over haul of my diet which made the biggest difference. I cut out all dairy, eggs, gluten foods and soy. Lost of fresh meat (or frozen) and veg and fruit instead. Also worked on meal sizes and balance. Still got 3 stone to lose but getting there :)

Ahh I'm hypermobile too! The pain is excrutiating. Well done on your weight loss, that's an amazing amount!
  • moobaloo13
    moobaloo13 Posts: 11 Member
    cjdsign wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Well, disappointment on the scales today. I know I am stronger with a hard week of doing "Stuff" last week, but I gained the 3lbs I had lost and 3lbs more! Hummmm. So I'll keep up the hard work, for me, this week and see if there is a change. I've been eating under my calories, but I do think it is muscle...finally! I had a good day and I hope everyone did too! Hugs, CJ

Totally understand your disappointment, but there's all sorts of things that can affect the numbers on the scale and although, it's a set back, it's a minor one that you can overcome! Rooting for you to keep going & I'm sure the scale will move in the right direction sooner rather than later :wink:
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    I gained the 3lbs I had lost and 3lbs more!

Not sure about other girls but I ALWAYS gain just before my totm. It's mainly water weight though. Could it be that? (sorry for the kinda personal question)
  • happyauntie2015
    Cj...don't look at it as disappointment. Sure we all like to see a loss on the scale but sometimes it just doesn't happen every time. Many things can factor in to the number like where your at in your cycle, time of day, sodium intake, fluid retention, how long before last meal and so on. You are doing great! I myself can gain 5-7 lbs during TOM. I focus on my clothes and other non scale victories like hey I rode 5 minutes longer today than a couple days ago and my husband complemented me on the way my jeans fit different! :) you got this! So please tell me a non scale victory my friend!
  • angel230180
    angel230180 Posts: 4 Member
    I have fibromyalgia ibs and depression. Swimming hurts every joint feels like it's clicking my ankles hurt when I walk and my back is as crooked as a question mark when I first waken in a morning despite this I'm determined to keep going as I know less weight will be less pressure therefore I hope less pain. X
  • happyauntie2015
    Has anyone used a food scale? I have been using measuring cups and measuring spoons to weight my food these last 3 weeks so today I used a food scale. I wanted to see how accurate the cups and spoons were. Turns out I was either under serving myself on the chicken, fish, and other proteins and over serving on my snacks by more than double! I weighed out my nut/fruit combo snack and 1/4 cup serving was 2x as much that way then when I used the food scale! I was surprised
  • cjdsign
    I suffer from chronic pain disorder and hyper flexible joints so depending on flares can leave me wheelchair bound as well as a jug of mental health issues. I've managed to lose 5 stone so far by doing gentle exercise (light cleaning, walking, swimming) and i did a complete over haul of my diet which made the biggest difference. I cut out all dairy, eggs, gluten foods and soy. Lost of fresh meat (or frozen) and veg and fruit instead. Also worked on meal sizes and balance. Still got 3 stone to lose but getting there :)

Hi Crystal! Pain is no fun and depression follows my pain. Yes, water weight is an issue for me as I am also allergic to salt. SALT is in everything!! Even our water here. But I have been walking again without my walker and I do think it could be more muscle. Thank you for you questions, none too personal in that. :blush:
  • cjdsign
    moobaloo13 wrote: »

Totally understand your disappointment, but there's all sorts of things that can affect the numbers on the scale and although, it's a set back, it's a minor one that you can overcome! Rooting for you to keep going & I'm sure the scale will move in the right direction sooner rather than later :wink:

Thank You Moobaloo!! Yes, today was better and I did keep going, motivated. And Hubby said that he'll start walking with me (since my darn walker collapsed on me last week! Ouch!) Thank you again for your support! I hope I am here for you all as you are all here for me!! CJ
  • cjdsign
    Cj...don't look at it as disappointment. Sure we all like to see a loss on the scale but sometimes it just doesn't happen every time. Many things can factor in to the number like where your at in your cycle, time of day, sodium intake, fluid retention, how long before last meal and so on. You are doing great! I myself can gain 5-7 lbs during TOM. I focus on my clothes and other non scale victories like hey I rode 5 minutes longer today than a couple days ago and my husband complemented me on the way my jeans fit different! :) you got this! So please tell me a non scale victory my friend!

Oh happyauntie You are so right! Those non-scale victories are great. I made it up the stairs today without huffing and puffing and caring a load of laundry (over my shoulders) can't lift a basket yet...LOL getting there though!! I am going thru my closet tomorrow...a long intended goal...and getting rid of the size 20's and overs. Shipping them off the the Good Will Shops! CJ
  • cjdsign
    I thank God for each and every one of you! You are so supportive and I pray I am just as supportive for you all as you are for me!!

I just have a quick comment for the end of my day and I want to wish you all a huge success on keeping within your goals for the week. Tomorrow is hump day and then it is the weeks end, so WAY TO GO EVERYONE!!! Even little movements are better than being sedentary all day long! CJ
  • cjdsign
    I have fibromyalgia ibs and depression. Swimming hurts every joint feels like it's clicking my ankles hurt when I walk and my back is as crooked as a question mark when I first waken in a morning despite this I'm determined to keep going as I know less weight will be less pressure therefore I hope less pain. X

You said it right @angel, less weight = less pain. I am currently taking a gel capsule of aloe vera. It is working on the joint pain that I experience. And my big bro has been taking it for the last 5 years and is pain free in his joints. He got me on to it last year. JUST DON"T Drink that thick juice. Take the gelcap!! It is so much easier. I do think my big bro had me try it just for the paybacks of being his "little Sister" LOL
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    ….a full grocery shopping trip is as many steps as a day at work for me, so that explained why I struggled so much doing both on the same day!

Exactly! After my car accident in 09 I learned that I simply can't do 4 trips/errands in one day. SoI do one planned event, and maybe on the way home may stop and pick up something…but OVERcommitiing just wrecks the next day.

PAIN MEDS- ALL MDs/clinics/ERs/Hospitals/VA are tapering off all patients, and there soon will be no more opiods no matter the NEED, and valid use. The FDA and CDC cracked down because of the epidemic of illegal use, and so patients who are not abusing meds must suffer in future.

It doesn't matter what your pain level is, if you are chronic, doctors are not allowed to prescribe, some have quit practice or been sued for continuing…so we no longer thve the freedom of private advice and treatment from medical staff…the government has taken over (hopefully just temporarily).

The VA started pressuring me last year, and now each month ...less pills…this makes a difference in ANYTHING I can do to function! Even the car dealer I was talking to on 2 different visits noticed the difference in my energy
    (one day without, one day with meds) I was dragging, and it really showed. Some days I must use a walker, and I am just adjusting to being unhappy over this.

I'm also following a low carb high fat diet, and it seems to be the only one that works for me for better health, and losing weight.

• JennEph
    JennEph Posts: 44 Member
    I need to be part of this! :) Been diagnosed since '95 and declared disabled in 2011 and would LOVE some like minded friends!!! Y'all understand the "today I tried" "Today I just can't do it" "Today's going to be awesome!" etc
  • JennEph
    JennEph Posts: 44 Member
    Has anyone used a food scale? I have been using measuring cups and measuring spoons to weight my food these last 3 weeks so today I used a food scale. I wanted to see how accurate the cups and spoons were. Turns out I was either under serving myself on the chicken, fish, and other proteins and over serving on my snacks by more than double! I weighed out my nut/fruit combo snack and 1/4 cup serving was 2x as much that way then when I used the food scale! I was surprised

Yes! I use one for almost everything its incredibly helpful. Often when I guess, I'm WAY off so its awesome!