Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm just worried I picked the wrong program. I'm also used to lifting twice per week and can't figure how to break down strong curves to two days. I have to use two gyms to get in all the exercises.
    I'm pretty sure my diary is open, I log all my exercises. Feel free to have a look and give advice. Send me a friend request with a message if you like...

Hmm.. ok well I would stick to the gym that has most of what you need. You don't really need machines, you can make substitutions for most of the exercises.. but I would stick to the gym that has the barbell and rack. The machine stuff is more accessory, and if you want you can do a lot of that with bands or bodyweight.

Also what I would do, rather than shorten it to two days, run the three days just twice a week. So let's say your lifting days are Monday and Thursday, you could run A on Monday, B on Thursday then C on Monday again and just keep going like that with maybe a bodyweight/band day in between? The one thing about Strong Curves is it is very adaptable to what equipment you have.

Oh and if you like conventional deadlifts, do those instead. SC isn't really a strength based program so the lifts will be more hypertrophy and focused on glutes.. he introduces all the different types of DLs to give you a feel for different styles so really I don't see the issue with sticking to the one you prefer.

This is a good recommendation. Similarly, if you don't like SC, NROL4W or Thinner, Leaner, Stronger are also good alternatives and incorporate more typical lifts
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I'm just worried I picked the wrong program. I'm also used to lifting twice per week and can't figure how to break down strong curves to two days. I have to use two gyms to get in all the exercises.
    I'm pretty sure my diary is open, I log all my exercises. Feel free to have a look and give advice. Send me a friend request with a message if you like...

Hmm.. ok well I would stick to the gym that has most of what you need. You don't really need machines, you can make substitutions for most of the exercises.. but I would stick to the gym that has the barbell and rack. The machine stuff is more accessory, and if you want you can do a lot of that with bands or bodyweight.

Also what I would do, rather than shorten it to two days, run the three days just twice a week. So let's say your lifting days are Monday and Thursday, you could run A on Monday, B on Thursday then C on Monday again and just keep going like that with maybe a bodyweight/band day in between? The one thing about Strong Curves is it is very adaptable to what equipment you have.

Oh and if you like conventional deadlifts, do those instead. SC isn't really a strength based program so the lifts will be more hypertrophy and focused on glutes.. he introduces all the different types of DLs to give you a feel for different styles so really I don't see the issue with sticking to the one you prefer.

This is a good recommendation. Similarly, if you don't like SC, NROL4W or Thinner, Leaner, Stronger are also good alternatives and incorporate more typical lifts

I have heard great things about this program, I think I am going to buy the book just to have in my arsenal
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

I have heard great things about this program, I think I am going to buy the book just to have in my arsenal

TLS lays out 3, 4, and 5 day split programs.
  • psuLemon

I am in the process of reading it now for my wife. I already have read and am following BLS and I really enjoy the program. I really like Mike Matthews no BS or magical claims way of writing and his programs are fairly solid; BLS has most sets in the 4-6 rep range at 85% of 1RM. I got TLS more so for the routine. I know he promotes some difference due to the difference in composition of type 1 vs type 2 muscle fibers between men and women.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

I am in the process of reading it now for my wife. I already have read and am following BLS and I really enjoy the program. I really like Mike Matthews no BS or magical claims way of writing and his programs are fairly solid; BLS has most sets in the 4-6 rep range at 85% of 1RM. I got TLS more so for the routine. I know he promotes some difference due to the difference in composition of type 1 vs type 2 muscle fibers between men and women.

Yes, for women he still concentrates on the core compound moves, but recommends reps in the 8-10 range.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I was struggling with bench and squat 3x10 and Romanian deadlift 3x15!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »

Ohh! I will keep this in mind. I have been doing 3 day whole body prorams. I have tried several and like them but I think I might need to swap to a split soon. The whole body routine is starting to be really taxing. I think I have a few more months in me though but I am going to start looking now.
  • psuLemon
    I was struggling with bench and squat 3x10 and Romanian deadlift 3x15!

Holy hell batman, that is a lot of volume.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    bioklutz wrote: »
    leajas1 wrote: »

Ohh! I will keep this in mind. I have been doing 3 day whole body prorams. I have tried several and like them but I think I might need to swap to a split soon. The whole body routine is starting to be really taxing. I think I have a few more months in me though but I am going to start looking now.

TLS/BLS are fairly basic. Beyond BLS is when they incorporate periodization. So depending on how long you have been lifting, you may have to consider the more advanced option. But if you into KISS, then TLS is a great year long program to start with.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Mid-bulk and I just upped cals again. The higher I increase cals the tougher its getting to eat this much food. I never thought I would ever say that.. hubs is laughing at me all the way to the kitchen cause we never thought I would have this problem..

It really is getting to be an issue, I stabilized in weight for the past 14 days (+/- a couple of ounces) and with the increase its getting worse..

Ladies can anyone give me a pointer or two?
  • DancingMoosie
    I eat a lot of peanuts, peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, dried tart cherries. Those are some of my favorite treats. I used to just sit on the couch with the ice cream carton when underweight.
  • sardelsa
    edited January 2017
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Mid-bulk and I just upped cals again. The higher I increase cals the tougher its getting to eat this much food. I never thought I would ever say that.. hubs is laughing at me all the way to the kitchen cause we never thought I would have this problem..

It really is getting to be an issue, I stabilized in weight for the past 14 days (+/- a couple of ounces) and with the increase its getting worse..

Lately I have had to add a high cal smoothie every other day or everyday if needed (bananas, berries, protein, almond butter, whole milk or yogurt etc). So it will be around 600-800 cals but of course you can modify it so suit your calorie needs.

I add extra nut butters and olive oil to stuff, I also eat a lot of pasta, rice and bagels. I tend to cut down a bit of fiber because it is very filling for me so that helps. Also I am now adding homemade whip cream to everything! YOM!

ETA: Oh ya ice cream!! Anything with real cream will pack a punch
  • psuLemon

Do you even ice cream?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2017

Lately I have had to add a high cal smoothie every other day or everyday if needed (bananas, berries, protein, almond butter, whole milk or yogurt etc). So it will be around 600-800 cals but of course you can modify it so suit your calorie needs.

I add extra nut butters and olive oil to stuff, I also eat a lot of pasta, rice and bagels. I tend to cut down a bit of fiber because it is very filling for me so that helps. Also I am now adding homemade whip cream to everything! YOM!

I am at 30% protein its 166 grams a day.. I am getting about 140 usually and I am stuffed to the gills after eating this much protein.. Do I need this much at 116 pounds?

eta my fiber is still only around 25-30 so not that high in retrospect..

• psuLemon

I am at 30% protein its 166 grams a day.. I am getting about 140 usually and I am stuffed to the gills after eating this much protein.. Do I need this much at 116 pounds?

No. At most you would be fine with 1g per lb. But even that is a bit much for a bulk.
  • sardelsa
    edited January 2017

Ya that is a lot of protein..I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb or even per lb lean body mass which is more than enough. I tend to up my protein when I am cutting A) Because it is more important during a cut vs. bulk and B ) because I find it very filling
  • RoxieDawn

No. At most you would be fine with 1g per lb. But even that is a bit much for a bulk.

So I can cut back the protein to like 20% and hit about 120 to be fair?
  • psuLemon

Anywhere between 100 to 120g is more than enough.
  • RoxieDawn

Ya that is a lot of protein..I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb or even per lb lean body mass which is more than enough. I tend to up my protein when I am cutting A) Because it is more important during a cut vs. bulk and B ) because I find it very filling

Anywhere between 100 to 120g is more than enough.

OMG this is very good news LOL.. I need to cut the fat free stuff too.. Ok to go higher on my fats or not?
  • DancingMoosie
    Yes, fat is more calorie dense